Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla charging cost calculator - Now with monthly figures

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

DaveW

May 21, 2019
Beds, UK
Bit of a head scratcher getting this to do what I wanted, but think it's finally working as expected.

Added in OVO Anytime (thanks to the post on here!) and the Octopus Electric Tracker. Additional option to select how many days per week you'll charge, it then multiplies those up in the monthly section. Calculations are based on 4 weeks/28 days, rather than a calendar month.

Caveats are listed at the bottom, but for clarity with the electric tracker tariff, you are at risk of the wholesale price changes, just as you are with the gas one. My Go deal runs out in March, I only charge around once a week at home, so tracker is looking good (well, not as good as my current 14.5 and 5p deal 😢), assuming it stays averaging around 25p!

I'd suggest for any Tesla's 75kWh battery and above to start around 60% charge to ensure you are staying in the cheap rate, by topping up, rather than draining and refilling :)

Any comments or feedback welcome

Hi, I am a new 2023 Tesla Model 3 Long Range owner. Had the car for about two weeks.

I have a question on charging. I need to set the home charge cost to $0 since I have Solar and I pay a flat connection fee of $35 per month. Since I am always producing excess electricity than what I consume. So I figured charging at home would be $0.

However the Tesla app doesn’t allow me to set it to $0. I am required to set it to atleast $0.01 per KWH

Could someone please advice on how I can go about this. The only workaround would be to set it as $0.01 per KWH and ignore the cost. Ideally it would be better if I set a flat cost of $35 per month. Or let me know if there is a better way.

Well.. my Octopus Go 15p and 5p rates finally expired on the 8th of March and Octopus confirmed there is a waiting list, which they say is still "up to" 6 months to get on Tracker.

So I've now moved on to Agile, given that it uses the wholesale rate, just every 30 minutes rather than a daily average, it's a pretty good compromise. The downside is between 4-7pm it jumps up to 35p, but the standard fixed rate which I'd moved on to is 36p anyway, but all day.

Not much movement in the market otherwise. If you don't charge much, might be worth considering Agile in the short term, just be aware that you can't jump to Go / Intelligent within 30 days of moving from Agile, you can however go back to a standard tariff instantly.

Well.. my Octopus Go 15p and 5p rates finally expired on the 8th of March and Octopus confirmed there is a waiting list, which they say is still "up to" 6 months to get on Tracker.

So I've now moved on to Agile, given that it uses the wholesale rate, just every 30 minutes rather than a daily average, it's a pretty good compromise. The downside is between 4-7pm it jumps up to 35p, but the standard fixed rate which I'd moved on to is 36p anyway, but all day.

Not much movement in the market otherwise. If you don't charge much, might be worth considering Agile in the short term, just be aware that you can't jump to Go / Intelligent within 30 days of moving from Agile, you can however go back to a standard tariff instantly.
Do you reckon Tracker/Agile is more suited to your needs? I would say the average price last month for Agile was around 25p - 30p / kWh.
Doesn't IO with 10p off-peak / 44p rest of the time could average you less than that if you have the ability to load-shift?

Do you reckon Tracker/Agile is more suited to your needs? I would say the average price last month for Agile was around 25p - 30p / kWh.
Doesn't IO with 10p off-peak / 44p rest of the time could average you less than that if you have the ability to load-shift?
I only really charge once a week from around 60-90%, obviously this changes if we go anywhere of any distance of a weekend, but then I've got a tonne of supercharger miles to use up and free charging on the rare occasion I'm in the office.

So working this out monthly, assuming an average of 25p for Tracker (probably less than that at the moment) or Agile, I'm potentially better off by around £40 a month against Go / Intelligent. This is based on around 11kWh average day usage and 1kWh overnight - think we fluctuate somewhere between 11-13.

There's not much load shifting I can do tbh, we've also replaced the tumble drier for a heat pump version to keep running costs down too.

Screenshot 2023-03-22 at 10.31.12.png

Bit of a head scratcher getting this to do what I wanted, but think it's finally working as expected.

Added in OVO Anytime (thanks to the post on here!) and the Octopus Electric Tracker. Additional option to select how many days per week you'll charge, it then multiplies those up in the monthly section. Calculations are based on 4 weeks/28 days, rather than a calendar month.

Caveats are listed at the bottom, but for clarity with the electric tracker tariff, you are at risk of the wholesale price changes, just as you are with the gas one. My Go deal runs out in March, I only charge around once a week at home, so tracker is looking good (well, not as good as my current 14.5 and 5p deal 😢), assuming it stays averaging around 25p!

I'd suggest for any Tesla's 75kWh battery and above to start around 60% charge to ensure you are staying in the cheap rate, by topping up, rather than draining and refilling :)

Any comments or feedback welcome

Thanks a lot for taking the time to code this, great tool!

I think the ability to personalise the rates (even if it's a dying breed as Octopus has moved Go/Intelligent to flexible) could be useful as I'm on an 'old' 7.5p/35p tariff until October, so I cannot fully rely on it. Also, I appreciate it's difficult to model, but the ability of Intelligent to give people much more than 6 hours to put the whole house consumption on somewhat mitigates the higher rate hours.

But this tool greatly highlights that with an usage of only 1 charge / week, without 'milking' Intelligent Octopus, its current rate (or Go) is no longer competitive and people are most likely better off with either Ovo if they don't have Powerwalls/Solar. Or Tracker for moderate mileage indeed, if market conditions stay the same. I guess it's the sensible choice in Spring, but I would watch it like milk on a stove when harsher weather or another crisis looms... people better start flocking back to variable then

Reactions: DaveW
Thanks a lot for taking the time to code this, great tool!

I think the ability to personalise the rates (even if it's a dying breed as Octopus has moved Go/Intelligent to flexible) could be useful as I'm on an 'old' 7.5p/35p tariff until October, so I cannot fully rely on it. Also, I appreciate it's difficult to model, but the ability of Intelligent to give people much more than 6 hours to put the whole house consumption on somewhat mitigates the higher rate hours.

But this tool greatly highlights that with an usage of only 1 charge / week, without 'milking' Intelligent Octopus, its current rate (or Go) is no longer competitive and people are most likely better off with either Ovo if they don't have Powerwalls/Solar. Or Tracker for moderate mileage indeed, if market conditions stay the same. I guess it's the sensible choice in Spring, but I would watch it like milk on a stove when harsher weather or another crisis looms... people better start flocking back to variable then
Thanks for the feedback, glad you find it useful!

If you scroll on the calc, you can put in your own rate (you need to click to expand) :)

Screenshot 2023-03-22 at 11.55.28.png

The downside is you can't get this to show up in the red/green list, so you'll just have to compare the totals yourself - If I ever get 5 minutes to myself, I'll update this to show the monthly cost too, based on number of charges.

Octopus Intelligent and Go prices drop overnight. Calc updated to reflect.

Charging rate for Intelligent Octopus goes to 7.5p, Octopus Go to 9.5p (for Eastern England at least).

Day rate also drops, you'll need to check for your area though, mine shows as 41p, others have had 38.1p 👍

Assume the Ovo rates are still correct? Can't find a tariff card publicly available to check.

Calc updated today to auto populate Octopus figures via their API, so they are always up to date (unit rates and standing charge) :) (quite pleased with myself over this one 🤣)

Had to use the standard rate and standing charge figures for my postcode for OVO as they don't publish their data anywhere!

Reactions: xreyuk and init6
Calc updated today to auto populate Octopus figures via their API, so they are always up to date (unit rates and standing charge) :) (quite pleased with myself over this one 🤣)

Had to use the standard rate and standing charge figures for my postcode for OVO as they don't publish their data anywhere!
Ovo Anytime rates are still 34p and credited back to 10p for car charging 👍

Thanks Andy, is that for new customers too, or is it a variable rate, like the Octopus tariffs?

Could you let me know the standing charge too please? :)
Rates below:

Energy use charge
kWh at 33.10p
Standing charge
30 days at 58.87p per day

Slight curve ball on this, the prices are due to be reduced on 1st July, to what is not released yet. I had a convo with them earlier today 👍

Rates below:

Energy use charge
kWh at 33.10p
Standing charge
30 days at 58.87p per day

Slight curve ball on this, the prices are due to be reduced on 1st July, to what is not released yet. I had a convo with them earlier today 👍
Thanks for that, calc updated. Be interesting to see what the market looks like in general post July 1st.

Tracker has been hovering around the 16p mark for a while now, wonder if / when we will ever get back to a 15/16p day rate plus cheaper overnight charging!

Reactions: AndyWarrington
Thanks for that, calc updated. Be interesting to see what the market looks like in general post July 1st.

Tracker has been hovering around the 16p mark for a while now, wonder if / when we will ever get back to a 15/16p day rate plus cheaper overnight charging!
I'm hoping the standard charges start to come down a bit, I find the terminology and what they want to us believe it stands for as absolute 🐂💩 - anyway that's my errr beef!

Pretty sure they'll be heading back up in price come Sept/Oct but I'll happily take the reduction in the meantime.

P.s. I'll try & remember to update you once the new rates are known 👍

Calc updated today with what I believe are the new British Gas figures, the price drops from Octopus went live automatically :)

Tracker dropped down today to sub 14p!!

@AndyWarrington - Did the OVO prices come down today?

Calc updated today with what I believe are the new British Gas figures, the price drops from Octopus went live automatically :)

Tracker dropped down today to sub 14p!!

@AndyWarrington - Did the OVO prices come down today?
I just tried and it appears the Octopus Go and IO charging costs didn’t fill.

Although knowing my average kWh price per month on IO, it now seems Tracker might be cheaper overall if it stays this low.

I just tried and it appears the Octopus Go and IO charging costs didn’t fill.

Although knowing my average kWh price per month on IO, it now seems Tracker might be cheaper overall if it stays this low.
I think the API's might be getting a bit of a battering today! - It's pulling the Octopus data direct from their API - This is what it should be showing price wise

Screenshot 2023-07-01 at 11.05.10.png