TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Tesla charging plug lock

Discussion in 'Roadster: Technical' started by dwegmull, Sep 13, 2011.

1. dwegmull

dwegmull 2013 Model S 85

With the J1772 adapter an easy target for thieves, I decided to make a lock that would prevent its removal from the car.
    I put it together in a few hours, so it's not pretty but gets the job done. I think a much nicer version could be made using water jet parts...
    It is made of 1/2" by 1/8" steel flat bar shaped to fit around the plug. A small piece of steel is welded inside the ring to fit in the area where the slide switch needs to go in order to remove the plug from the car. The hinge is made from three pieces of 1/8" thick plate along with a 1/4" diameter pin. The padlock holder is of similar construction. SInce I took those picture, I've painted it in a silver metal flake color (rattle can spray job, looks good from six feet away :wink:)

IMAG0942.jpg
    IMAG0943.jpg
    IMAG0946.jpg
    IMAG0947.jpg

Would anyone be interested in a "production" version of such a lock? By that I mean a set of CAD drawings to get parts cut. Some welding or riveting would still be needed.

2. zack

zack Member

I love it. I'd go for it.

3. bonnie

bonnie Oil is for sissies.

count me in.

4. Nvbob

Nvbob Roadster 1256

We're interested, also.

5. dwegmull

dwegmull 2013 Model S 85

OK, I will start designing a lock that is easier to duplicate (It's already "done" in my head ;-)). For those of you in the SF Bay Area, I will be at the EV show and rally in Palo Alto this coming Saturday (EV Rally). I will bring the lock with me for show and tell.

6. Tommy

Tommy Member

Can a pair of handcuffs be modified? The prototype lock looks very much like 1/2 of a pair of handcuffs.

7. doug

doug Administrator / Head Moderator

You looking for a dual purpose device?

8. richkae

richkae VIN587

If I had the ability to craft such a device - I would do the following:
    Remove the slider and replace it with a new one - The new slider would have a small keyhole that operates a cam that fills that void - extending the length of the slider so that it can not move. The new slider could be taller than the old one to make room for the lock mechanism, but it would still be compact and entirely self contained.

9. zack

zack Member

Speaking of... all a trouble-causer needs is a philips screwdriver to remove the slider even if the lock is in place. Hmm. I think that you've revealed the answer, richkae. The slider itself should be replaced with an alternate device and the screw that holds it in place should be an anti-theft type.

10. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

Just make the cuff that dwegmull designed wider so the slider can't be lifted up.

11. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

Something that simple and low profile could just ride on the connector (attached permanently). Only the lock would come off. Even that could be attached to the mechanism with enough thought behind it.

12. richkae

richkae VIN587

If you look at the screw that holds the slider - it is an anti theft type - it is the 6 pointed star with a pin in the middle.

13. richkae

richkae VIN587

Also, if you remove the slider, I don't think you can disengage the connector from the car. You need to slide it back before it will rotate.

14. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

Exactly!

15. dwegmull

dwegmull 2013 Model S 85

A replacement slider with a built-in lock is an intriguing idea... I will look around for a suitable lock. Maybe I can throw a prototype together.

Even with the security screw removed, the slider does not just come out: it needs to be lifted and slid out. I think my lock prevents such a motion, but I will borrow the right screwdriver from work and check. It would not be very hard to weld a "tongue" to the lock that would cover most of the slider.

16. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

tm!

and C.

17. zack

zack Member

Ahh. Mine was in the garage and I didn't look at it. Foresight on Tesla's part. 8^D

18. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

#18 vfx, Sep 19, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2011
  19. dadaleus

dadaleus 4GETOIL P85#S70,FdrX,S85D

If one of you decide to have one of these made, I'll love to pay for a second one.

20. dwegmull

dwegmull 2013 Model S 85

Well, I tried removing the security screw with my original lock in place: the slider can be removed and the plug is then free from the car.
    As a quick fix, I welded a plate that covers the slider completely.
    IMAG0973.jpg

A lock that is integral to the plug and replaces the slider would be the cleanest solution for sure but it would require some intricate machining. I will keep on tinkering with it...