Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Charging Stations in the wild

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Full charge in 45 minutes

Hi guys. I did hear Elon Musk mention putting Quickchargers for trial purpose late this year or early 2010, charging cars in 45 minutes. Was it meant for the Tesla Roadster or the Tesla Model S? It seems funny if it's for the Model S, because of its release in 2011.

Does anyone know anything about this?

Thanks / Nick

Three new 70A charging stations along US 101, linking Northern California and Southern California.
Atascadero, CA
Salinas, CA
Santa Maria, CA

See EV Charger News - Home
-- click on the Tesla charging stations link.....

Another location, Goleta, CA, is not yet listed, and is scheduled for completion in early October.

Can someone post this to the Owners' forum for me?

Tom Dowling

Perhaps someone should check this out. I don't see it listed on EV Charger News.

Getty Heir, S.F. Mayor Test Waterless Urinals at Napa Winery - Bloomberg.com

Nov. 18 (Bloomberg) -- I arrived at Napa Valley’s newest environmentally friendly winery in a two-ton SUV and parked in a space reserved for low-emission vehicles. The area was shrouded in fog, so hopefully nobody noticed.

California’s Cade Winery, which opened in April, is part of the PlumpJack Group, a hospitality business co-founded by oil heir Gordon Getty and San Francisco Mayor Gavin Newsom. The first estate wine, a blend of cabernet sauvignon and merlot priced at $125, will be released in February. ...

Cade’s 54-acre property boasts organically grown grapes, plus a tasting room and production facility made from mostly recycled materials. The property is almost completely powered by solar energy, the urinals operate without water and the parking lot offers special outlets for drivers of electric cars made by Tesla Motors Inc.
Looks like a nice place: CADE Winery: Photo Gallery
pic18.jpg

CADE Winery
Physical Location:
360 Howell Mountain Road South
Angwin CA, 94508
707-965-2746 TEL

Well, why limit it to the States or even North-America.

Although it isn't an official 'Tesla' charging station, here are some pics from a charging station in the center of Amsterdam (on the Jacob van Lennepkade to be precise). Charging is free in Amsterdam for the time being.

As you can see I can't secure the breaker behind the charging latch. I'm probably oing to remove the breaker all together.

charge-1.jpg

charge-2.jpg

charge-3.jpg

The distinction about this thread is that it includes public charging stations specifically with a Tesla style connector on it. Doesn't matter so much where it is, though most are in California and the location should be mentioned.

Other threads that might include a more random shot of a Roadster charging using a mobile connector ot at a private residence include:

http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/technical-discussion/1650-charging-roadster.html

http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/tech...ter-eu-style.html?highlight=charging+roadster

The distinction about this thread is that it includes public charging stations specifically with a Tesla style connector on it. Doesn't matter so much where it is, though most are in California and the location should be mentioned.

Other threads that might include a more random shot of a Roadster charging using a mobile connector ot at a private residence include:

http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/technical-discussion/1650-charging-roadster.html

http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/tech...ter-eu-style.html?highlight=charging+roadster

All right, got it :smile:

Range Anxiety

I am going to Victorville this weekend (which is 35 miles from Barstow) Should I take the Tesla? My son has a soccer tournament. From my house to the Holiday Inn Express (Hesperia, CA) is 105 miles. From the hotel to the soccer fields (Apple Valley, CA) is 18 miles. I'll be making that trip back & forth at least 3 times. There may be the occasional 'joy ride' for onlookers as well. Return Sunday. Does anyone have any suggestions as to charging? :confused:

Should I take the Tesla?

YES ! :smile:

At the hotel 120V (with an extension cord) should be "arrange-able" (call ahead) ... slow I know, but every bit helps. Possibly same at the soccer field. Hypermile, but worst case ... on the return trip use Parson'sBldg which has 14-50 ( I assume you have RFMC or equivalent ) -- if, and only if, you need it for a boost. ( If you can't make it to Pasadena on way home, PM me about Pomona. )

I'm being selfish and want to try to arrange a recharge similar to my home where I am not making a stop just to recharge. To that end I found an RV park less than 0.4 miles from my hotel with a 50AMP hook-up. Desert Willow RV Resort Details - 860000594 Good Sam Club. This would be perfect!

How do I make an intro to see if they'll let me charge? Any suggestions? Hate to sound like an invalid (is that PC?), but want to put my best foot forward.

Looks like the Resort is part (RV_Park) of a large portfolio of Watt Companies in Santa Monica. Not sure how much effort you want to invest (beyond calling the RV park direct), but if you get to the right person ... or give them a ride (in Santa Monica) ?

Worst case would be to show up and pay their daily fee ($32 Review), although I've also heard of "EV unfriendly" RV parks ...

I RAN OUT of Electricity in Victorville!

I RAN OUT of Electricity in Victorville! Calm down, I won't leave you hanging... it was my electric razor and I forgot to bring my charge cord, so I borrowed some one else's charge cord who also had a Norelco!
Maybe one day driving an EV will be as common place as having an electric razor? :biggrin:

Thank you to Earl & Georg who were like parent birds watching me fly from the nest for the 1st time. They gave me the tools and confidence and the rest was up to me. I'll admit that for the 1st year, I've had my training wheels on. I've never charged other than at home. But why should I? What's the stat? 80% of U.S. car trips are < 40 miles round trip. Well 100% of my trips have been 200 miles r/t or less so there was no need to charge anywhere else. Up until now, when my son and I went to Victorville for the weekend soccer tourney.

I hopped on line, found an RV park that coincidentally was a parking lot away from my hotel. When I got to Victorville, the next day after the games, I drove over there and checked in & drove into my stall between 2 behemoths. Popped the charge port, and affixed the charge cable, NEMA 14-50 to the post and the other part to my car. That's when the trouble started. Oh, I'm sorry, were you lurking to find something bad go wrong & then post it with "ha ha" on your FB page? :tongue: The "trouble" is the crowd I drew when it started charging. Luckily I had plenty of brochures to go around. They were plenty interested and some even embarrassed at the gas guzzlers they were all driving; I wished them all well and more importantly the Tesla Roadster received rave reviews and a warm reception.

Picasa Web Albums - Ian - 2010_02_20-Vi...

I walked back 4 minutes to my hotel room. We went swimming & hot tubing (indoor). Got showered & shaved (with the borrowed cord) and walked back to the car. We went to dinner, gave a few joy rides (I wanted to get some juice before dinner expecting some joy rides after dinner) & then back to the RV park for more charge & walked back to the hotel. This was a seamless operation thanx to the TMC community. Thank you! Ciao, Ian :smile: