Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla coercing software updates!?!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I see some parallels with this and the larger direction of the software industry. Microsoft now sells a subscription to their office package, but they don't cut you off from the program, just the updates. They're not taking away any functionality

Quicken on the other hand, will be discontinuing the software's ability to download quotes and transactions in April. You must buy a new subscription. This is more like Tesla's approach is seems. The program will still work, but some functions will be disabled.

Sounds like the lawyers will make some good money sorting out the new paradigm shift in hardware and software overlaps.

I didn't buy software. I bought a car. Telling me parts of my car won't work after 7 years unless I allow Tesla to change it (potentially throttling my charging, or range significantly) is crap.

Tesla needs to run legacy support for their cars. 7 years as not a long lifespan for a car.

I hope you're still using outdated software on your phone, and of course WindowsXP on your Business Computer. You wouldn't want to protect anything important if it costs a little more in electricity!

It's a car. It's not a general purpose competer. And Tesla doesn't give me full access to the computer hardware at that, so I CAN'T install different OS or anything. It's their way or the highway. And we'll that's ****ing me over.

I don't connect via wi-fi. I get occasional nastygram popups telling me how to connect to a wifi hotspot. LOL. I just reject the update notices when they appear. I have not rooted my car. I'm sure they already know who I am. When they forced 2019.32.2.2 on me without permission, they downloaded it over 3G/LTE.

I haven't connected to a single wifi network since my MCU got replaced in 2018. Tesla still pushes updates (including this one) via GSM.

I got this message Tuesday or Wednesday.

I'm also not happy about this. I'm worried about charging rate and capacity THEFT. I also hate the UI changes Tesla keeps making. They are targeting AP cars and a single landscape center screen. They make it look worse on my car which has neither.

Tesla coercing software updates!?!
You purchased a car that updates were always advertised as being an inherent Part of. if you didn't want it you shouldn't have purchased the car.

I suspect you are not very popular at Tesla...keep on being a thorn in their side!

It's a love/hate relationship. I hold their feet to the for the continued downward spiral of software "updates". OTOH, I've helped Tesla sell thousands of new and used cars through my EV-CPO.com website.

I hope you're still using outdated software on your phone, and of course WindowsXP on your Business Computer. You wouldn't want to protect anything important if it costs a little more in electricity!

I don't update my iPhone until it's absolutely necessary. Likewise, Apple keeps destroying their good OS with crappy UI changes. IF IT WORKS WELL, STOP F***KING WITH IT. Tesla and Apple (and others) just can't resist the idea of 'change is always better' instead of 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it'

I haven't connected to a single wifi network since my MCU got replaced in 2018. Tesla still pushes updates (including this one) via GSM.

Yeah, that's what's odd about this new warning message. I have an update pending, which means it's already been downloaded and staged to be installed. If May 1st rolls around and what they say is true, I'll just install the latest pending update. Problem solved. The message would have been so much better if they just said "You can continue to enjoy the old firmware you're on now, but come May 1st, you'll need to upgrade to the latest pending update in order to restore services".

You purchased a car that updates were always advertised as being an inherent Part of. if you didn't want it you shouldn't have purchased the car.

OMG, you got any more twisted logic? Just because a product was advertised as having some feature, does NOT mean you're mandated to use that feature, and if you don't, you should have never bought it in the first place. :rolleyes: My iPhone was advertised to do a ton of stuff I'll never use. I guess I shouldn't have bought it, then.

Tesla didn't advertise that they were going to cripple peoples' cars without their knowledge or permission, either. Making the car better over OTA updates is one thing, but making it worse, intentionally, is not what we signed up for.

Over the air updates is not a minor feature like a small app on an iPhone. It is an inherent part of the car and what makes it a Tesla. It does not intentionally cripple anything and although sometimes it has quirks that need to be worked out, the next update usually does that. Don't buy something that States it will do something and then complain when it does exactly what it was purported to do in the 1st place. Buy something else.

It does not intentionally cripple anything

I know A LOT of 85 owners that would strongly disagree with that. The recent update severely reduced ADVERTISED range and charging speed.

Don't buy something that States it will do something and then complain when it does exactly what it was purported to do in the 1st place.

I'm not complaining that it's doing what it's advertised to do. It's the payload of what it's advertised to deliver that is the problem. Again, your logic is flawed.

Updates are great when they actually IMPROVE the product. When they break things and make them worse, that's NOT what was "advertised."

The update feature was a bait and switch - people who purchased it were told their cars were going to get better with every update, which was mostly true at first, but then turned around, disabling things which used to work (like browser), forcing changes making the UI much less usable, reducing max range, limiting charging speeds, etc - hence people refuse to update anymore.

It does not intentionally cripple anything and although sometimes it has quirks that need to be worked out, the next update usually does that.
Please come back to this thread in four years and let us know if Tesla has removed a feature of your vehicle that you really appreciated.

Don’t get me wrong. I can’t imagine choosing any other vehicle over a Tesla but when you had features you liked, and a software update takes them away, you become less thrilled with software updates.

Phantom problem.
Other than limiting charging speeds , which seems to be happening at superchargers meaning they are the ones that were changed not your car, I have heard of none of this nor experienced it.

Ok, so just because YOU haven't heard of it, or YOU haven't experienced it, it never happened? Yeah, that's logical.

If you think the reduced range and charging speeds are just in peoples' minds, go do some research and read up on it and then come back and make a claim that it's a "phantom problem". And no, it wasn't the superchargers that were changed.. it's been well documented that the firmware updates TO THE CARS did this. You are so misinformed it's not funny.

Over the air updates is not a minor feature like a small app on an iPhone. It is an inherent part of the car and what makes it a Tesla.

And finally, a Tesla is first and foremost A CAR. A MEANS OF TRANSPORT. The firmware update feature really is no different than updating the OS on an iPhone, which is a PHONE. Stop trying to make the firmware update feature bigger than it is, and for those of us significantly and negatively affected by the updates a reason not to have bought the car in the first place.

I'm done here.

Other than limiting charging speeds , which seems to be happening at superchargers meaning they are the ones that were changed not your car, I have heard of none of this nor experienced it.
Because you own a Model 3 which still relatively new. Wait until a Tesla switches to a new MCU or other hardware, or new form factor screen.

PS> Supercharging speeds are set by your car, so an over the air update is what limited it for you.

But, you did buy software along with the mobile hardware to run the software. Or is it the other way around? That's the real issue here, sorting that conundrum out.

I agree though that the car you bought with all it's capabilities should be the car that you still have, without any of the bells and whistles disabled. Tesla has to figure this out, otherwise someone else will and it will lose it's place as the leader of the EV world.

Maybe Elon doesn't really care though. He's already achieved what he set out to do, move people away from ICE. That snowball is picking up momentum.

I see both sides of it, as the connectivity is a service.

If you like AOL 9.0, good on you. Use it as long as you want. But AOL is under no obligation to keep running a modem pool for you.

That's not even remotely a good argument. AOL is a recurring service.

If AOL offered me a lifetime membership for $90k they better make sure I stay connected.

A more apt comparison would be buying a house. And that house having a free home control system with lifetime services. The they do a software update that makes your rooms 20% smaller. Then 6 months later say all your services go away if you don't update. When that update can change the size of your rooms.

Please come back to this thread in four years and let us know if Tesla has removed a feature of your vehicle that you really appreciated.

Don’t get me wrong. I can’t imagine choosing any other vehicle over a Tesla but when you had features you liked, and a software update takes them away, you become less thrilled with software updates.

What exactly did you lose that you liked? I have only gained ,almost every month since owning this in the last 18 months. I gained a dash Cam, then again sentry mode then again dog mode then I gained text messaging then I gained movie theaters Netflix hulu YouTube games etc etc etc I have never lost a single thing.