Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla coercing software updates!?!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

ElSupreme

Model S 03182
Jan 13, 2012
Atlanta, GA
So I stopped updating my software after two terrible updates gave me restart bugs in 2018. I've had 2 updates since then. Once where I accidentally approved one via the phone app with it just sitting in my pocket. The other Tesla did when my MCU1 died in 2018.

Considering each and every update makes my non-autopilot car worse, and after Model 3 the updates seem to target a smaller landscape display marginalizing us 2 screen, portrait display owners.

I've felt greatly justified in that decision after Tesla has been "protecting" customers by slowing supercharging and reducing pack capacity on older cars. I have a 2012 85kWh (A rev) car, that got a new 85kWh HV pack in 2016 (H rev?).

But now I'm being coerced to update. I call bullshit. Tesla really should provide legacy support for their cars, for longer than 7 years. Am I just crazy or is this just a ploy for Tesla to get me to update software and have me "protected" from their battery packs that don't do what they were sold to do?

coersion.jpg

Tesla is definitely out to get you. I'm really surprised that you even still have the vehicle, because they know where you are at all times.

Tesla did send out an update that took supercharger rates, and battery capacity from cars very similar to mine. Their software is obviously AP and single-display-landscape focused. It looks poor on my car, much worse than it used to. Those things are FACTS.

Why should 2019.16.X.X software be insufficient for security? Which is what I am running right now?

So I stopped updating my software after two terrible updates gave me restart bugs in 2018. I've had 2 updates since then. Once where I accidentally approved one via the phone app with it just sitting in my pocket. The other Tesla did when my MCU1 died in 2018.

Considering each and every update makes my non-autopilot car worse, and after Model 3 the updates seem to target a smaller landscape display marginalizing us 2 screen, portrait display owners.

I've felt greatly justified in that decision after Tesla has been "protecting" customers by slowing supercharging and reducing pack capacity on older cars. I have a 2012 85kWh (A rev) car, that got a new 85kWh HV pack in 2016 (H rev?).

But now I'm being coerced to update. I call bullshit. Tesla really should provide legacy support for their cars, for longer than 7 years. Am I just crazy or is this just a ploy for Tesla to get me to update software and have me "protected" from their battery packs that don't do what they were sold to do?

View attachment 510488

Despite the bugs, this is just software development. I think you should just keep updating, but apply some pressure on Tesla to fix the bugs with emails, forum posts, etc. I think their intentions are good, but if people don't update then the OTA system is undermined a bit.

I say go for it. They will fix the bugs, and if they don't take it up with service.

Despite the bugs, this is just software development. I think you should just keep updating, but apply some pressure on Tesla to fix the bugs with emails, forum posts, etc. I think their intentions are good, but if people don't update then the OTA system is undermined a bit.

I say go for it. They will fix the bugs, and if they don't take it up with service.

And risk losing pack charging rates and capacity? My car is ripe to get this treatment. I check all the boxes.

Sudden Loss Of Range With 2019.16.x Software

Note that it all it says is no "over-the-air" updates. They provide legacy support: you'll have to go to a Service Center to get updates. Not much more legacy than that. :p

Don't update, and then let us know what happens in May. :)

I don't want OTA updates. I want maps, traffic, music, and the ability to unlock my car with my phone.

They are claiming to cut my app access, my internet radio, voice commands, and blanket "connectivity dependent features". They are just cutting me off their system it seems.

• Informative
Reactions: 3mp_kwh
And risk losing pack charging rates and capacity? My car is ripe to get this treatment. I check all the boxes.

Sudden Loss Of Range With 2019.16.x Software

If Tesla is making that decision, that goes well beyond an OTA issue. I would allow the OTA update and then tackle the charge reduction issue separately if it happens. Or yeah, don't update and just leave things as they are I suppose.

If Tesla is making that decision, that goes well beyond an OTA issue. I would allow the OTA update and then tackle the charge reduction issue separately if it happens. Or yeah, don't update and just leave things as they are I suppose.

And give up my maps, music, voice commands, and app access that I paid for?

Or risk giving up the supercharging and capacity I paid for?

Seems to me like Tesla should keep a legacy server up to serve their cars that don't get updates.

I also want to point out I purchased a Tech package which specifically said I would have onboard storage for music, and mirror memory. I've never had a software update that didn't take away mirror memory since I got the car 7 years ago. I've called and done the bug fixes for mirrors a half dozen times. It's a huge waste of my time.

Tesla sends out these updates monthly. None of them make my car better. It's just a headache for me. So I stopped updating when I get a relatively bug free release.

....Or yeah, don't update and just leave things as they are I suppose.

Normally, without an update, all existing features will not get any better and they all will stay the same as if they were not updated at all.

However, Tesla is different: it's punitive. It doesn't allow things to stay the same as if no updates were applied.

If no updates applied, it automatically acts as if a brand new punitive update was done to take way existing "connectivity dependent features" such as maps, streaming media, voice commands, other app access...

It's opposite from Windows Operating System updates: I updated a to Windows XP and my old printer for Windows 98 was no longer compatible. I then reinstalled Windows 98 back and everything was the same: I did not lose the use of my printer for staying the same!

There are programs that work fine in Windows 7 but as soon as I install Windows 10, they no longer work. I then reinstall Windows 7 and I did not lose those programs.

That's what Tesla should do: Old versions will stay and work the old ways with no loss of any old features.

Today, upon entering my car, I noticed a message (reproduced below) stating if I don’t upgrade to at least 2019.40.2.3 by May 1, I will lose access to streaming, the Tesla app, future updates, voice commands and any internet connectivity feature.

I have been reluctant to update the firmware on the car since 2019.16.1 was forced upon my car without advance knowledge or consent and the update ”stole” 31 miles of range from my car and reduced the speed at which the car charges at a supercharger.

I am currently on 2019.32.12.8, which Tesla put on the car (again without my authorization) when it was in service to repair the driver’s window which would not raise up. My car has been notifying me that 2019.40.2.3 is waiting to be installed, but I hit the cancel button on the screen.

Has anyone else seen this message, and do you think the update is really needed to address a network upgrade, or is it a ruse to install an update to further cripple my car?

Attachments

• 865FCD1D-65A2-40C7-A527-5298389230C4.jpeg
    865FCD1D-65A2-40C7-A527-5298389230C4.jpeg
    767.8 KB · Views: 122
I travel a great deal and the crippling of the car has greatly hindered my travels. Whereas I used to be able to get from point A to point B without stopping to charge along the route, that is no longer the case. Plus, what used to take 20 minutes to charge now takes 40-60 minutes. Further, the effective range of my car is now at best 210 rated (not actual) miles because charging from 210 to the new max indicated range of 226 miles would add another 1-1/2 hours to the charge time.

It's because Tesla at some point made a breaking change in their architecture, and does not want legacy code laying around in their cloud forever. Old code causes mess and maintenance issues.(and is annoying to look at).

Their about to delete that code, but first they say update now or loose connectivity.

It's not because they want to cripple your battery. They couldn't care less what software version you are running.

It is NOT true that Tesla could care less what version my car is on. If that were the case, they would not have forced (downloaded and then installed) 2019.16.1 on my car in the middle of the night without telling me beforehand that an update existed and asking me to schedule the installation. Instead, I got into the car one morning and discovered via a message on the screen that the car’s firmware had been updated during the night.