Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla could give employees early access to Model 3 preorders

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I love a company giving its employees a BIG discount... but giving them first dibs is kind of scary. Imagine the lead-time on a new next generation Apple Device "X" if Apple gave employees (about 100,000 of them) first dibs.

Now, on the other hand... Doing a mix of delivering 1 employee car for every 2 public cars (or something) would be fine to me.

I really hope they do this. We discussed it in another thread a while ago where I came up with the "Builders Edition" instead of Signature.
There would be so many upsides to a builders edition and no significant downsides that I can see. (cue some downsides!)
Although it may require some minimum ownership or resale clauses.

This is a great idea. Just don't open it to current Tesla owners. We've been over that, and as much as current owners hate it, it's not what TMC is trying to achieve here. They already have your money, and referrals, etc....they want to expand the club.

Don't worry, you can still get one, you just won't get "dibs".

This is a great idea. Just don't open it to current Tesla owners. We've been over that, and as much as current owners hate it, it's not what TMC is trying to achieve here. They already have your money, and referrals, etc....they want to expand the club.

Don't worry, you can still get one, you just won't get "dibs".
But there's a very good reason for giving owners early access and it's along the lines that MrBoylan said above. Current customers (and employees even more so) are less likely to be critical of early model problems than a new customer. Further, current customers are familiar with EVs and Tesla's and so they won't have to do as much training; they know the drill for working with Service Centers, etc. So it's not just about rewarding current owners, there's a good reason to do it that helps Tesla.

But there's a very good reason for giving owners early access and it's along the lines that MrBoylan said above. Current customers (and employees even more so) are less likely to be critical of early model problems than a new customer. Further, current customers are familiar with EVs and Tesla's and so they won't have to do as much training; they know the drill for working with Service Centers, etc. So it's not just about rewarding current owners, there's a good reason to do it that helps Tesla.

All well and good, but if this is a "car for the masses", they would not be sending that message if they open it exclusively to current owners, regardless of spin. The media, and those of us who don't currently own a Tesla, would be rather upset.

If anything, they'll let employees at it first. As far as familiarizing new customers/users, that's something that can be done in the year and a half between March 31st and deliveries begin.

"Meet the Model 3" "Supercharging and You" etc etc etc.

I think it is a great idea to let them order first. The only downside I guess would be potential Federal Tax credit expiration dates and how many employees order the "highly optioned" models that will be produced first.

I guess I am getting closer and closer to just considering getting the tax credit a "bonus" and not budgeting it in for the car. It seems like if I am trying to "count" on getting the full $7500 credit, then I will just be stressed out as this process plays out once we hit the magic 200,000.

I think it is a great idea to let them order first. The only downside I guess would be potential Federal Tax credit expiration dates and how many employees order the "highly optioned" models that will be produced first.

I guess I am getting closer and closer to just considering getting the tax credit a "bonus" and not budgeting it in for the car. It seems like if I am trying to "count" on getting the full $7500 credit, then I will just be stressed out as this process plays out once we hit the magic 200,000.
This also gives those employees the incentive to build a quality product. Obviously the design and engineering is the biggest factor but they can affect rattles and other noises.

The article in question said that emplyees may be able to reserve around March 23-25th. I'm not a Tesla employee but my understanding is that the internal email that was distributed said they could reserve as early as this Thursday (March 17).

This also gives those employees the incentive to build a quality product. Obviously the design and engineering is the biggest factor but they can affect rattles and other noises.

Depending on what part in the process VIN numbers get assigned, I could see the factory line mechanics keeping close track - oh that's Joe's Model 3! That could be good or bad, if factory mechanics at car plants are anything like the ones I know at aircraft plants. Joe might find some extra special surprises in his Model 3, LOL.