Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla customer service is the WORST - esp Costa Mesa

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Been like this for some time, only getting worse it seems. Cash grab by delivering shoddy cars as fast as they can and then lacking any infrastructure to maintain them all.

Had my own terrible experiences with costa mesa a few months back and do not feel like returning despite persistent issues with my car.

Its sad because i want to be proud of my car and the company but i cannot recommend tesla to anyone.
SADLY, you are not the only one.

I had sworn not to buy another Tesla, Period.

A business can’t last unless/u til they address their lack of QC & CS.

Reactions: Stirfelt
What a tragedy.
Tesla seemed poised to be the car of the future, and it is technologically, but assembly defects are going to darken the excitement, and turn buyers away.

To verify the point .... scan several pages of this forum. Thread after thread describe problems and concerns.

Personally, it's not just the disappointment of a poorly assembled ($55-75K) vehicle,
it's the frustration of trying to schedule and get repairs ..... and now there is a thread describing how the vehicle came back worse than when it went to the SC.
And finally, the inconvenience of taking the car 80 miles (each way) to the SC, arranging transportation, and listing to the "better half" point out the folly of needing corrections on a BRAND NEW $55-75K vehicle.
What a tragedy.

I could not find online schedule, i proved it to the SC manager.
I called, the sw sent me to SC 98 miles away. They transferred me to mine.
The SC are overwhelmed with 3s. I was in Richmond Va, they had70, JAX has 50. I bet if we all go look at our SC, we will find a lot of 3s being preped or repaired.

Others have pointed out that Tesla's big 3Q "ramp-up" was an effort to become profitable.
But at what expense?
Based on owner reporting on this forum, a large number of the most recent production, require a myriad of SC fixes and corrections.
So they achieve a profit on the production side ...... and incur loses on the repair and correction side.
Eventually, Tesla will loose customer loyalty because of frustration with SC inability to fix all the errors in a timely manner.
One recent owner-writer even went so far as to say he would not recommend a Tesla to a neighbor.

For the first time in my mind.... the thought of perhaps a proven automobile company like Toyota buying Tesla is gaining traction.
The engineering in sound, the car is absolutely beautiful, the handling is superb .... Tesla just does not know how to paint a car!
(plus other serious defects in the assembly)

I have had zero issues with the CM SC for last 3 years. As a matter of fact they treat us so well that we always get a Tesla loaner vehicle with or without a service appointment. To top it off, we have never had to pay for any service on our X even though it’s been out of warranty.

• Helpful
Reactions: Stirfelt and MXWing
BEGIN RANT:

I've been pretty patient, trying to be understanding that this company was trying to hit their 3Q profitability numbers. But this is getting frustrating and absolutely ridiculous.

Since delivery almost three weeks ago, I have e-mailed, called and texted with 5 different people at Tesla Costa Mesa to get a list of issues fixed/scheduled for repair. Each one of these people I've interacted with have said "we'll get back to you later today" or "by tomorrow" and it has now been weeks with no service appointment scheduled (the online appointment scheduler in MyTesla is weeks out, while I was promised an appointment before I leave for travel in a week).

Today I get an "urgent" e-mail saying they are missing money on my purchase. I point out that it was paid by credit card (with transaction number) and the response was "oh okay thanks we will get that corrected." I also alluded to the issues that are yet to be fixed on the "brand new" car and the response was "call the service center," aka the phone line with an hour plus wait time. Even the CA DMV has a "virtual hold" call back feature so that busy people don't waste hours of their lives listening to crappy music. This is 2018 not 1995.

Tesla needs to get their sh&T together. No employee takes ownership of a client case/account and you're left with everyone passing the buck onto someone else. When I asked the guy I spoke with today how come the 4 other people I spoke with before him didn't create the due bill or schedule the service, he said "I don't know" and didn't even offer to get the appointment scheduled for me. If JD Power or a third party called me and asked me to rate my customer service experience with Tesla, I'd give them a big fat ZERO. an F-, a Z.

Even the much criticized Fisker never avoided customer contact this badly. I was always able to speak with a customer rep promptly, while Tesla seems to dodge calls, not reply to texts or e-mails, and use a 30 year old telephone system for service appointments.

TL;DR:
Tesla tech: A
Tesla car performance: A+
Tesla car quality: B-/C+
Tesla customer service: F-

In retrospect, I should have just driven the car back to the delivery center on day two and threatened to reject the car if they didn't schedule the repairs. Seems like they only pay attention when $$$ is involved.

END RANT.
I was also told that I would be contacted within 3 days by someone to fix all the problems I had spotted at delivery. No one contacted me after 7 days so I took the matter into my own hands. I just scheduled an appointment with the service center on line from the tesla.com web site. They had a spot within 7 days. I showed up at the appointment and told them I am here for all the problems I documented at delivery to be fixed (paint issues, panel gaps and misalignments). They verified that the problems I showed up with where noted at delivery and took the car to be fixed and gave me a loaner car. They ran out of Tesla loaner cars so they gave me a ICE loaner from a rental car agency. They told me to save the gas receipts as they would reimburse me for them when I came back. They told me that car would be done in two weeks but when I called them after two weeks to see the status they told me they need two more weeks. Still waiting for it. I am on my third week.

• Informative
I was also told that I would be contacted within 3 days by someone to fix all the problems I had spotted at delivery. No one contacted me after 7 days so I took the matter into my own hands. I just scheduled an appointment with the service center on line from the tesla.com web site. They had a spot within 7 days. I showed up at the appointment and told them I am here for all the problems I documented at delivery to be fixed (paint issues, panel gaps and misalignments). They verified that the problems I showed up with where noted at delivery and took the car to be fixed and gave me a loaner car. They ran out of Tesla loaner cars so they gave me a ICE loaner from a rental car agency. They told me to save the gas receipts as they would reimburse me for them when I came back. They told me that car would be done in two weeks but when I called them after two weeks to see the status they told me they need two more weeks. Still waiting for it. I am on my third week.

Even having an ice loaner you can still be on the list for the Tesla loaner.

I really enjoyed the S loaner I got when my 3 was being worked on. It’s fun to drive something different as you will have your 3 for hopefully many years uninterrupted once it’s back in your hands.

Even having an ice loaner you can still be on the list for the Tesla loaner.

I really enjoyed the S loaner I got when my 3 was being worked on. It’s fun to drive something different as you will have your 3 for hopefully many years uninterrupted once it’s back in your hands.
What does that mean "be on the list for a Tesla loaner"? They didn't have any Teslas.

We had the similar experience from Costa Mesa CS. Worst service ever....

We took delivery with several deep scratches, a body panel issue, no Enhanced Auto Pilot, and a speaker that rattles at higher volume. After telling our Tesla rep that we would like to refuse delievery, their service manager came out to tell us they would “take care of our concerns” through a scheduled services on 9/26 (five weeks after delievery) with a loaner car while it was serviced. We took the car, unaware of all the support issues Tesla is experiencing.

I took care of the Auto Pilot issue via phone support, five days of wait time, and a software push. However, a week before the service, they sent me an emailing canceling due to capacity issues and stated that they would contact me at a later date when they could take us in for service. I immediately wrote a letter and escalated to executives and immediately heard back from David Cohen in Tesla Customer Serivce Norway with an apology and an offer to escalate with Regional Managment in Costa Mesa.

Never heard back from Costa Mesa, so I began calling the service hotline I used to resolve our AutoPilot issue. The kid that answered the phone in the Utah service center was very apologetic as well, and offered to call the Costa Mesa leadership team and resolve the issue. Within two mins of hanging up with him, I received an email stating there was nothing he could do. So...agian I wrote David Cohen in Norway and copied in all of the corespondence I had received from Costa Mesa and Utah. David once again he apologized via email and offered to communicate with regional leadership to make sure my schedule service would take place.

Two days before service I received a text message stating my service was confirmed, but they did not have a loaner car for me and that they would offer me “Lyft credits” to use while the car was in service. Once agian I copied everyone in on the thread addressed to David Cohen, but this time tied in my lawyer who I had previous discussed my concerns with. In the letter, I expresed my interest in a dealer buy back if they were unable to fulfill their committed obligations at time of delievery.

The next day, I received a call from Costa Mesa from Melissa (i think) stating she had been told that we wanted to return the car we had for a new one and it had been approved. She just needed to see how long it was going to take to build out. I was beside myself at how unorganized they were and explained that their lack of internal communication was out of control. I explained we had no interest in a new VIN since registration and plates had already been delieved and insurance was already tied to this VIN. I explained everything in detail and told her all we wanted was the original issues resolved. She apologized for the communication and assured me everything was resolved...

We showed up on the 26th, waited in line to deliever the car, and we’re immediately denied service. I just about yelled my head off to the poor kid at the service center and screamed to get a manager. They finally got their act together, connected the dots and profusely apologized. They then provided us a 2016 Model X as a loaner and stated they would contact us within three days with status.

...That was on the 26th. The app showed the car was in Pomona within two hours of our drop off. They clearly drove it there, because our milage went up about 30 miles since drop off. They disabled mobile access the next day, so we have no idea where the car is now. We got an update last Wed stating they would provide an update Friday. Haven’t received any communication since...Wed will be two weeks.

So we got our M3 back yesterday. Showed up in the morning for inspection and car was filthy. Asked them to wash it so we could see how the repairs turned out. Once it was clean we were able to inspect in the sunlight. Although they fixed the scratches we had identified, we found four new ones that weren’t there when we dropped it off. They were apologetic and offered to keep it and offered for us to continue to use the loaner X until they had it fixed. Received a call later that evening that they were able to buff them all out.

Picked it up and everything seems to be fixed. Going to get this thing in for PPF and Ceramic Coating asap. I will say, that this experience with the service has soured me on Tesla and I wont be buying another. Prior to buying this M3 for my wife, I was considering getting a Model X for myself. Would have done it this year to take advantage of the $10k in rebates. It will be a long time before I consider giving them another chance...

Reactions: SoCalGuy
So we got our M3 back yesterday. Showed up in the morning for inspection and car was filthy. Asked them to wash it so we could see how the repairs turned out. Once it was clean we were able to inspect in the sunlight. Although they fixed the scratches we had identified, we found four new ones that weren’t there when we dropped it off. They were apologetic and offered to keep it and offered for us to continue to use the loaner X until they had it fixed. Received a call later that evening that they were able to buff them all out.

Picked it up and everything seems to be fixed. Going to get this thing in for PPF and Ceramic Coating asap. I will say, that this experience with the service has soured me on Tesla and I wont be buying another. Prior to buying this M3 for my wife, I was considering getting a Model X for myself. Would have done it this year to take advantage of the $10k in rebates. It will be a long time before I consider giving them another chance...
Yeah that’s my thinking as well. They really need to revamp the customer service experience because the product is good but if they can’t do right by their customers, it makes it impossible for me to recommend. I had another family member I took for a ride last week and she’s looking to replace her MB E-class in the next few months. I told her the car is great but she would not like having to deal with service given my experience so far. She’s not a car fanatic and doesn’t have patience for all the growing pains for Tesla so any Tesla product is not right for her at least until they can get their service issues sorted.

That’s one referral credit lost :confused:

I have been to the Buena Park service center around 3 times with my Model S for yearly service, and twice with my son's Model 3 for AP problems. I can only say good things about the personnel that work there. They have been courteous and helpful every time. They have replaced items they found had problems that I hadn't even noticed. Very satisfied.

QC is pretty bad. Even on the display vehicle, as recent as 1 week ago at Dublin, there's been a MSM on display with driver tail light sticking out by what looked like a 1cm gap, with the passenger side of the same barely having 3mm.

My copy also has what looks like 7-8 mm gap of the tail lights, but at least they are aligned with the rest of the covers, and the gaps are more or less the same on both sides, so at least it is not so apparent. That being a September build. And i am not scheduling anything exactly for the fear of this or something else getting even worse after the service, and the inconvenience of going there. I just don't care enough.

I've already been there for blemishes and broken clips on A-pillar, which it took them two attempts to fix (to be fair, the second time just mobile service replaced the whole thing and it took the technician about 3 minutes to do so -- just wish it was done during QC at the factory instead of spending my time managing the logistics of it).

I just can't grasp how they can bring it to the customer with a straight face with so obvious right-in-the-face cosmetic problems. the pillar problem was so bad and visible from both inside and outside right into the delivery driver's face. We are not talking some long distance delivery when things may get out of hand and require a longer presale prep, we are talking Tesla direct delivery straight from Fremont...

The software "glitches" are worse than some cheap-never-heard-of-chineese-android-firmware. The only redeeming quality is that unlike most cars, the bugs probably will get fixed in the next update (which seems to bring just as many new ones though, so it is never really completely ironed out). It makes Chrysler-Jeep U-connect look like a top luxury brand which i would never thought of as such before. There, at least you plug an usb and it just plays instead of cr@-ng out and turning your filesystem into a pile of garbage.

I think the problem is the "hot Silicon Valley startup" mentality. I've been to such companies and know exactly how the management thinks there. How big the pressure is to cut the corners just to be able to make claims and show glowing reports and presentations.

Last edited: