Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla cuts starter prices for Model 3, Model Y in China by up to 9%

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wow.. that's a huge price cut. Wonder what that means for US.

Tesla has been raising prices from $48k to $66k for MYLR. As long as people is US are willing to pay for it. Tesla won't lower the price. But that may be coming to an end soon.

Wow.. that's a huge price cut. Wonder what that means for US.

Tesla has been raising prices from $48k to $66k for MYLR. As long as people is US are willing to pay for it. Tesla won't lower the price. But that may be coming to an end soon.
They’ll just raise our prices again and bless PRC with the savings.

It all depends on demand and what the competition has to offer. And as Tesla grows they will need to offer something the masses are more able to buy unless they are content to cherry pick from within each vehicle segment.

I imagine when the 3LR reservations open back up, they will be at/under $55K.

Demand has to be softening here in the US. There are tons of used M3/MYs sitting on dealer lots at the moment. Some of these recently-bought-and-traded-in-immediately vehicles are low mileage (sub 100 miles) and cheaper than the current reservation prices. We have a reservation that is coming due in December, but if we find a cheaper used 2022 model, we may just opt for that instead.

Hope not. With Tax Credit pending, recession fears and parts prices dropping. This is going to be roller coster. In any case, you will pay lower price in 2023 than 2022.

At least you are on brand. I believe every post you have made here on TMC has been on the subject of vehicle price.

You have to realize there are tons of EV competition in China. Most dont need large EVs and dont need EVs that drive 300 miles on a charge. I dont think price decreases will come to America, but who knows.
Right.. it would depend on demand. This is simple, If Tesla can sell at current prices, they won't, if not they will (lower prices).

Assuming 3 and Y qualify for Tax credit, Tesla may not have to lower prices ( with the exception of M3LR, whi h needs to be $55k).

Reactions: randmness
I feel like that statement during the earnings call is on about the same level as saying FSD would be solved at any point since 2016, a claim so vague it's almost meaningless for consumers considering the complexity of the topic.

Tesla could produce one single Model 3 RWD entirely with North American minerals and manufacturing, and Elon's high-level comment would be true. But it's a far cry from stating that Tesla will be able to satisfy all domestic demand with vehicles from the model range that will qualify for both $3,750 halves of the credit.

I doubt it's even physically possible, and that's just one issue with the claim. Hope for the best, but I would keep expectations low.

Reactions: randmness
China’s flailing economy is supposedly several months ahead of ours and demand in the US for cars is really softening. I would not be surprised if tesla car prices dropped more than the other car companies in the coming months given how many Teslas were being flipped, purchased on speculation and rented out during the pandemic. It was pure mania. As the war on inflation continues, recession looms and financing rates surge, it will inevitably hit consumers and the car industry. Prices here could fall harder than China.

I feel like that statement during the earnings call is on about the same level as saying FSD would be solved at any point since 2016, a claim so vague it's almost meaningless for consumers considering the complexity of the topic.

Tesla could produce one single Model 3 RWD entirely with North American minerals and manufacturing, and Elon's high-level comment would be true. But it's a far cry from stating that Tesla will be able to satisfy all domestic demand with vehicles from the model range that will qualify for both $3,750 halves of the credit.

I doubt it's even physically possible, and that's just one issue with the claim. Hope for the best, but I would keep expectations low.
Doesn't have to be processed in the North America. It can be from or processed in any of the following countries:
Australia
Bahrain
Canada
Chile

Colombia
Costa Rica
Dominican Republic
El Salvador
Guatemala
Honduras
Israel
Jordan
Korea
Mexico
Morocco
Nicaragua
Oman
Panama
Peru
Singapore
USMCA.

I think delivery lead time went down to just a few weeks in China, that's still not the case here. After Giga Texas ramp up and the backlog has been worked through then I can see some fairly significant price adjustments here in the US. What'll be even more interesting is how Tesla will price Cybertruck.

• Informative
Reactions: ElectricIAC