Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla DashCam on V9

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looks to me, if they could just zoom out on the camera, would be a better view. Looks like it's zoomed in. Can't see the hood in the video and the bottom of the screen appears well out in front of the car. Zooming out would also increase the width view. No clue if this is even possible for Tesla to do? Just seems like all turns, stops, etc. happen late when watching the video since its set so far out in front. Also, what happens if you want to show something that happened very close to the front of the car? With the front edge of the hood not in view, it could miss something.

Curious, do after market dash cams have a stabilizer? Most video cameras do, to soften movements from holding the camera. Noticed in the Model 3 video, it shows every bump in the road as well as the view moves up and down pretty regularly. A stabilization program like most video cams would reduce this. Don't know if the after market cams have this or not?

And, noticed a couple of things with saving. It says it will save up to 10 minutes, but does so in short 45 to 60 second video clips rather than a single 10 minute clip. Would be nice if they added a feature to simply save the last 10 minutes in one clip. Better yet, a clip of the full hour it records before overwriting, but won't get greedy!!

Also, seems like the last clip gets corrupted each time. Each time I've tried it, couldn't open the last clip. So a suggestion, if you really need a video, start and stop "save" at least twice before unplugging. Appears to be as a result of pulling it out while it's recording since the car is still "on" when you stop and open the door. I guess you could try powering off the car manually first, but that's a pain. Double tap of the save icon seems to be the easiest way to ensure the video you want saves properly.

Looks to me, if they could just zoom out on the camera, would be a better view. Looks like it's zoomed in. Can't see the hood in the video and the bottom of the screen appears well out in front of the car. Zooming out would also increase the width view. No clue if this is even possible for Tesla to do?

They're using one of the three forward facing cameras. I don't know the viewing angle of all the different forward cameras, but this is the one Tesla decided to go with. Maybe at some point they'll change which forward camera is used or add more of the cameras to the dash cam feature, but for now this is all we've got.

They're using one of the three forward facing cameras. I don't know the viewing angle of all the different forward cameras, but this is the one Tesla decided to go with. Maybe at some point they'll change which forward camera is used or add more of the cameras to the dash cam feature, but for now this is all we've got.

I wouldn't be surprised if capturing all the cameras ends up requiring 3.0 HW

I know - why I asked - to see if intel or mcu2 made a difference. I upgraded to 64GB 3.1usb stick and it is sharper and more fluid so must have something to do with read/write speed and camera resolution stepping up/down. Color is still yellowish.

The port is USB 2 not 3, and the video feed is writing many times slower than the slowest USB2 sticks should be capable of.