Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Data Transfer Protocols

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

NOLA_Mike

May 11, 2013
Colorado
Looking at my (admittedly primitive) router logs, the following is sort of a "typical day" in the life of the Model S data transfer:

Screenshot 2017-01-14 20.33.09.png

Granted, this is not a complete day's worth since anytime I leave it is transferring data via cell network but I'm curious as to what data goes in and out over what protocol.

I would guess that "Google APIs" are map and traffic data which is displayed on the 17" screen.

I would also guess that "OpenVPN" is the secure connection back to the Tesla Mothership over which firmware updates are downloaded and vehicle logs and diagnostics are uploaded.

Anybody else with knowledge of these things care to shed some light on what's what? @wk057 @Ingineer

(BTW, I only obsess over this when waiting for a firmware update. :))

Mike

I think your guesses are pretty good ones. NTP is just syncing time, DNS is name resolution. Hard to really determine this without putting a packet sniffer on the network to look deeper into the traffic. This won't help with the encrypted traffic though.

I wonder how the streaming radio comes through - HTTP? I would also assume any use of the Browser would show up under HTTP.

The vast majority of important data goes over an encrypted OpenVPN connection to Tesla. Logs, mobile app commands, and other telemetry.

Updates are generally pulled from va.teslamotors.com over http (also encrypted with a custom format with per-car keys).

There is benign traffic directly to other sites like streaming music, google maps, etc... but nothing important.

Each router manufacturer has their own "web interface" wherein you can make changes to settings (IP address ranges, DNS, etc.) and this one is specific to the ASUS model I have.

Thanks for the tip. After reading your email I was able to find a way to logon to the router but none of the options netted the data I'm looking for so I'll be checking with Century Link.

Here's what it looked like downloading firmware (2.52.120) last night:

Screenshot 2017-01-16 06.05.15.png

As @wk057 indicated, the firmware came via HTTP.

The firmware was downloaded, unpacked and staged by 22:48 - that's when I got notification on my phone that a software update is available.

Jason - I remember you saying a while back that if AP1 module was updated it took quite a long time. Have you studied AP2 yet? That 1 GB update took < 25 mins. to install.