Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Demonstration Event Richmond, VA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes, me too. I'm going to try to make it. Glad I had my brother install a 14-50 in his house down there!
6e8u8e8u.jpg

I got this -- any idea if they will have any charging capability there? I would be driving from North of Charlottesville... could make it but depending on the amount of track time, getting back home might be pushing it. ;)

My wife took the S to Richmond the other day, and did a bunch of errands, and got home with 2 miles of range left. Whew!.. (that was with the full range charge)

How is it that so many people in Tesla didn't even know this event existed?
Very strange. I contacted headquarters, VA store, and the VA clean cities contact number.

Oh well. Hope you guys take lots of pictures and let us know how it is. I guess I wasn't close enough to get an invite.

really sounds interesting. Just got the invite as well. I could technically get there in my 60 (106) miles from my house to the raceway, but charging could be a significant issue. Too bad the richmond supercharger isn't up yet. :(

Yeah, I do think it's weird that Tesla did not get the word out louder and earlier, for an event in the middle of the week, no less. If you're renting out the Raceway and having legislators out, you don't want just 20 Tesla owners out, you want 50 or more!

I believe Dfibrl8r made a road trip down there and can tell others about public charging in the area. Otherwise it is hard to drive 100 miles or so, drive the event, and not spend the night in Richmond (or drive home very late after public charging).

I have charged at Richmond Science Museum (J 1772) and Ashland Campground (14-50) for a fee. Richmond Omni has a charger also. Seems like bad timing to have an event like this but no Richmond area supercharger yet. Would probably get better attendance if folks knew they could get back home!

I was thinking about driving down late Tuesday night and staying overnight (and charging overnight). Discovered the Richmond Omni is full, and so I don't expect them to grant me charging privileges there without being a hotel guest. Science Museum could be difficult if multiple Tesla owners want to charge there. I called the Marriott (just a few blocks away from the Omni) and learned they do not have any specific EV charging capabilities, but they offered me a spot in front at the drive in where a 110v outlet could be available -- better than nothing I guess! I would be coming from Great Falls/McLean/Vienna area in my 85 --- my calcs tell me it is about 114/115 miles each way. I would range charge before departing my home. Assuming no issues with ugly weather, etc --- that means I have on the order of 40 miles or so to "spare" if charging is not avail in Richmond area, and less if we get to run a few miles around the track (even at "responsible" speeds). I don't relish the idea of driving back home late at evening on Wednesday knowing I will be near the end of the battery charge. So it is imperative I get a few miles of charge while in Richmond. I understand Tesla states there will be some NEMA 14-50 capability at the track. Need to understand the details --- an hour or so on a NEMA 14-50 should be sufficient to get me back home.

All,

I got some feedback from Tesla about the charging facilities at RIR

"There is charging at RIR but it is limited. I understand that there are approximately ten NEMA 14-50’s at the track. There is a considerable amount of J1772s however in Richmond."

Peter

I asked how fast we can go and received this reply:

"You can take your Model S on the track but there will be a pace car that will limit the top speed to around 60mph. However, I am confident that you can still have a lot of fun taking your Model S around the track
"

I asked how fast we can go and received this reply:

"You can take your Model S on the track but there will be a pace car that will limit the top speed to around 60mph. However, I am confident that you can still have a lot of fun taking your Model S around the track
"

That's kind of lame, especially since the posted speed limit is 70 on I-95 with traffic moving 10-15 MPH faster! Could we give the pace car a 1 minute head start?:cool: