Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla died in middle of an intersection

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla died in middle of an intersection. display lit but nothing worked
Had to pay $350 tow charge $2400 to replace screen
2017 model s only 35k miles
I could have been killed
Be realistic here, it's out of warrantee. Free warrantee repairs typically stop when the warrantee expiries. You could have purchased an extended warrantee, but didn't.

Be realistic here, it's out of warrantee. Free warrantee repairs typically stop when the warrantee expiries. You could have purchased an extended warrantee, but didn't.
I don't think there's anything the OP stated that hints they are being unrealistic; it seems you are making an unfair inference that they expected a free repair. Their concern appears to be more about safety and inconvenience than anything else. The 7 year old car with low miles stopped working at a very inconvenient place and they're not happy about that. What I would like to know is what was the actual problem, were there any warning signs, and what exactly did Tesla say?

I still have my 2001 VW Golf TDI that had a well known issue with a faulty solder within relay 109, which supplies electricity to the ECM. Twice while I was driving, the engine cut-off while I was driving 45mph down the street. Luckily, I just had to push the clutch in and coast my way to the right. The fix was a $10 revised replay from ECS Tuning. VAG never issued a recall despite thousands of Beetle/Jetta/Golf/TT owners citing the same problem.

I sold my 8 month old Model S because I learned the hard way about Tesla’s after it did the same thing while driving. But mine was an inverter failure that blew the main pyro fuse. The fact that Tesla decided to save a few bucks by having everything share the same fuse so you lose redundancy and safety was the final straw of an overall horrible ownership experience.

... display lit but nothing worked
this part def needs more details...
with MCU1, both MCU and IC are separate computers
plus all emergency functions like hazards, brakes, lights, doors are all part of body controller
yes u might not be able to drive (which could happen to any car) but u can still coast n make car visible to others

I had similar situation almost four years ago, if I remember it correctly, car is 03/2016 MCU1… This also happened on intersection, it was the time when Tesla had not yet decided to give support. Only third party fix were offered on the memory issue.
Anyway, my car suddenly lost throttle on the left turn on intersection at very low speed. I was just not able to force the car to move… I remember the MCU blanked but the IC was lid. My steering and hazards were working fine, I did not stepped out of the car as of the place it happened, I had sufficient movement to be able to veer at the right side of the corner. I managed to reboot it and after the MCU turned back on I drove my way. This was not the same as I have done the rebooting in the middle of driving several times before. Only exemptions was that this booting took almost six minutes to succeed and being in the middle of intersection was the craziest thing. I had just downloaded new update in the evening before and I took this picture of the corrupted menu screen on that morning, prior I started to drive… We all remember that time when this all suddenly started to happen, no offence @TLLMRRJ, this is about legacy model.
I’m curious about the OP, if the person is the original owner then why to wait seven years (it is fourth post here) to find out the miserable performance of that centre infotainment screen when there was plenty of time to address this even with Tesla or other parties? By the way I choose to have the recall done on my car and the MCU still works as should.

613F9B0F-4987-451F-BCBF-506057B82944.jpeg

I sold my 8 month old Model S because I learned the hard way about Tesla’s after it did the same thing while driving. But mine was an inverter failure that blew the main pyro fuse. The fact that Tesla decided to save a few bucks by having everything share the same fuse so you lose redundancy and safety was the final straw of an overall horrible ownership experience.
That is a very interesting and troubling experience. I can understand your reaction. Scary!

Reactions: TLLMRRJ