Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does this look like a ground fault?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Wol747

Aug 26, 2017
Tea Gardens
2020 Model S Raven. During a 30 mile drive today I had the following:
Several times the instrument panel showed "Model S" in 1" high font and the whole row of icons in the top right (RHD BTW) lit up for ten seconds or so.Later - several times - the voice recognition didn't respond but the message "initialising microphone - please try later" or similar appeared. Later while watching TV during a supercharging session, the sound wouldn't come on and the wheel volume control didn't work.
The main screen showed nothing unusual. Could s poor ground connection be the culprit?

2020 Model S Raven. During a 30 mile drive today I had the following:
Several times the instrument panel showed "Model S" in 1" high font and the whole row of icons in the top right (RHD BTW) lit up for ten seconds or so.Later - several times - the voice recognition didn't respond but the message "initialising microphone - please try later" or similar appeared. Later while watching TV during a supercharging session, the sound wouldn't come on and the wheel volume control didn't work.
The main screen showed nothing unusual. Could s poor ground connection be the culprit?
Much more likely that the MCU needs a reboot.

Reactions: Huachipato
I get the message initialising microphone - please try later every time I get in the car. Press the microphone button on the wheel and it does not respond. The menu button below does show recent calls. If I press the horn I get the microphone prompt and it can hear me as it displays what I have spoken, but will not execute the command. Swapped out the scroll wheel for a known good one but still the same.

Anybody have this issue too?

I get the message initialising microphone - please try later every time I get in the car. Press the microphone button on the wheel and it does not respond. The menu button below does show recent calls. If I press the horn I get the microphone prompt and it can hear me as it displays what I have spoken, but will not execute the command. Swapped out the scroll wheel for a known good one but still the same.

Anybody have this issue too?
I have just started having the same issue. From reading other threads on here, it sounds like a hardware fault (even though it feels like software as all the other buttons work) Some people say if you press the horn, it activates the voice control button but yet to try that!