TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Tesla drifting

Discussion in 'Roadster: Performance' started by vfx, Nov 13, 2008.

1. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

It's been mentioned a few times on these pages. Here's it's own thread.

And here's an Elise doing the deed.

2. tdelta1000

tdelta1000 Active Member

I think weight would be an issue but why????

3. waltoninn

waltoninn Member

I think what you mean is weight distribution. Just a hunch.

4. ChadS

ChadS Petroleum is for sissies

I think drifting looks like a ton of fun. The Tesla is light, has lots of power, and traction control is easy enough to turn off. Tempting...

But, as noted, there's that weight distribution issue. It seems to me that drifting may be all about having good control at the traction limit, but that's exactly where the Tesla would suddenly swing because of all the weight in the back that shifts out when the limit is reached. Perhaps the Tesla is not at all suited for drifting.

Then again, maybe drifting is more about control after traction is broken (varying the amount, while always small, of traction in the spinning tires)? Maybe that's not so bad--once you get past the break, it's more a matter of go-pedal modulation, and the Tesla seems pretty good at that, especially with regen built in to the pedal. Or is all of that control just through the steering? Has anybody tried drifting in a Tesla? If not, can anybody that's at least tried drifting with another car comment?

5. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

Choice of tires and suspension tuning can make a big difference.
    You want tires that let go easily and don't grab/bite too much.
    (Or else run on wet roads).

6. BlackbirdHighway

Yes Drifting

I was most certainly drifting in the Power of DC autocross event last summer! It worked great, and cut another second or two off my time.

7. Mark06GT

Mark06GT Member

What about throttle steering? I couldn't find anything in the manual about disabling regen. I don't think throttle steering would work as well if regen were still on.

Has anybody tried throttle steering in a Tesla? How did it go?

8. bolosky

bolosky Member

I don't think that there's a way to just request regen to go off, but if you charge the battery to full in performance or range mode, the car turns it off until there's sufficient capacity in the battery to hold more charge. (Or have the battery be below freezing, but that's probably not so good for racing.)

It's actually pretty disconcerting to drive without regen once you've gotten used to it.

9. Mark06GT

Mark06GT Member

I really like the regen for driving around town, but on the track I enjoy the ability to adjust the car's balance by throttle steering. I'm not even sure that turning regen off would really give the correct effect. When I've topped off the car or driven it when it's very cold, the lack of regen feels more like coasting in neutral. I'm not sure it could be used to adjust traction on the front tires.

10. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

#11 vfx, Dec 30, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2009
    In the new Motor Trend article Kim had some thoughts on track and regen though he was not talking about drifting.

TMC thread

Maybe fill the trunk with dry ice! ;-)