Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Driving Lessons

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Madi19

Feb 21, 2022
Hello, I recently bought a Tesla Model 3 with self-driving. I'm a psychologist and technology of any sort does not come easily to me. Is it possible to purchase lessons on driving the Tesla? I know most people say go to youtube, etc. but I just don't learn easily that way. If someone shows me, I learn quickly. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

My advice is to locate a local Tesla group or a group that promotes EVs. You can Google Tesla Owners' Club directory and then find your state. We have a state wide chapter where I live and I belong to EvolveKY, trying to spread the good word. We have get togethers and events that members will go WAY out of their way to help you!

• Helpful
Reactions: jjrandorin
A "local to the OP" tesla owners group would likely be the best bet, I agree. With that being said, OP I would suggest that, at least in the beginning, dont worry about the "self driving" aspect (its not, and the extensive discussion on that is in the autopilot subforum).

I would recommend just getting used the vehicle by driving it like a normal vehicle, especially if you describe yourself as someone for whom technology does not come easy. Driving the car normally (no autopilot, etc) and getting used to regen braking, quickly locating driving information on the screen, activating wipers, etc all should take precedence over any use of any level 2 driving assist features, at least in my opinion.

Congratulations on your new vehicle, hope you enjoy the ride :)

Hello, I recently bought a Tesla Model 3 with self-driving. I'm a psychologist and technology of any sort does not come easily to me. Is it possible to purchase lessons on driving the Tesla? I know most people say go to youtube, etc. but I just don't learn easily that way. If someone shows me, I learn quickly. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
How does that make you feel? ;)

Lesson #1: Go-Push pedal. Stop-Let up on pedal. Lesson completed 👍🤣
We turned on "Creep" mode on at delivery for our 2 Tesla and never looked back. Creep makes the car drive exactly like a normal sport car without having to re-learn anything. The normal mode also hard on my sciatic nerve on my side as I have to keep pressing hard on the pedal to keep the car moving.

I'm 73 years old, and the only thing that gave me fits at first was the very different behavior of the accelerator pedal. In driving stick shifts since 1975 (two BMW's and an Audi) I had lots of situations in which I'd declutch and get off the gas pedal entirely.

So in my first few seconds on the Tesla I was jerking around in the parking lot as I repeatedly failed in the basic action of just letting off the pedal partway, finding the pressure that gave the acceleration or deceleration I needed at that moment. It is a continuous function.

Get that right, and the rest is pesky details. Yes, it can be hard to find things, such as the glove box release, the windshield wiper control, ... But training yourself to use the accelerator is the the only biggee. Just give yourself some time away from conflicting traffic. Most people get used to it pretty fast, and some have no trouble from the beginning. My wife figured it out right away, having watched my bumbling start ten minutes before her turn.

Riding with an experienced user who can answer usefully "how do I?" questions might actually help. Probably different things will hang you up than another, so that may work better than a fixed syllabus.

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin
You know how to use it. It operates just like a normal car. What you need to do is just refine the skill. No one will be able to really teach you that. Find an empty parking lot and spend a morning learning to get up to speed and coast to a stop. If regen really bothers you it can be shut off in the menus but its a signature feature of EVs so its probably best to learn it.

I guess if I have a tip to help pick it up quicker its that when you want to slow down you need to still keep some pressure on the pedal at low speeds to avoid immediately going full regen. Feather it down.