Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Dublin, CA Service Center - still waiting for bodyshop 6 months later

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'd like to hear what others' experience has been like with the Tesla Service Center ("SC") in Dublin, CA, and to see if I'd be better off avoiding this particular SC.

I put $1k deposit down shortly after M3 was announced, and took delivery in July '18. It had various panel gaps, so I made an appointment at the Dublin SC in Aug. '18. They called me shortly before my appointment and said there is a long wait for body shop. They moved my appointment by two months to October, so they can send the car to the body shop then.

In October, I finally brought my car in to Dublin SC. They told me I have to get on the "virtual queue" for body shop and wait a month or more for the body work. Apparently they instituted this "virtual queue" sometime after my call in August, and nobody bothered to add me to this "virtual queue" (which sounds like just a waitlist to me). I explained to a supervisor that I had already waited 2 months for the body work, and he reluctantly agreed to avoid this virtual queue.

Only a few days later, they told me they fixed everything without sending the car to the bodyshop. I picked up the car, only to find out that they created new misalignments and also scraped paint off the panel near the headlight casing (presumably when they were fixing the headlight casing that was sticking out).

I brought the car back in, and they put me on their virtual queue for bodyshop. I didn't want to argue over how long I had been waiting for the body work, so I just agreed to wait. I was told I was #225 on the queue, and it should take about 1.5 months to clear.

Two months later in December, I called Tesla SC and was told I'm #143 on the queue and that it'd be two more months.

Two more months later in February, I called Tesla SC and was told I'm #355 on the waitlist. I reminded them that I had been waiting for 4 months and asked how my number went up. After putting me on hold, they told me they are referring me right now to Mendelson Auto Body in San Ramon, CA, who will reach out to me immediately to schedule an appointment. They told me Mendelson is a Tesla certified bodyshop, although I do not see them listed on Tesla's website.

That was 3 days ago. No one from Tesla or Mendelson has reached out to me.

• Informative
Reactions: OPRCE
Have you tried to call Mendelson directly for an appointment ?

I took delivery on 12/5/18 and my car had several paint defects and a misaligned frunk/hood. My delivery advisor (or whatever they are called) said the SC would call me to schedule an appointment. I decided to call the SC when I got home and I spoke to a very helpful employee who told me I needed to call the Tesla approved body shop directly..the earlier the better because they are so backed up.

I took the first available consult appointment which was on 12/13/18 and after a walk around, took the first available appointment to get the car fixed, which was on 2/18/19.

From the day of the walk around to the actual drop off date, I emailed Tesla 4 different times to add more paint defects. Nothing like taking delivery of a car outside in the rain. I will say that Tesla was very gracious and did not deny any of my requests for the additional work I wanted.

I finally picked up my car today and it looks so much better than it did on delivery day. Kniesel's Collision in Rocklin was able to center the hood and door trim and fix all the paint defects. Total cost for all the work was over $3500 plus the Tesla Model S 75D free rental for the 2 weeks.

Good Luck in getting your car fixed and I'm praying for you !

Thank you! Tesla delivered the car to my home and the delivery person called Lyft immediately upon arrival, so he was in a huge rush to get back with Lyft waiting while he was quickly going over the basics. He did write down a paint blemish and told me they would contact me to schedule a car detail. They never did. He also said Tesla will contact me about solar panels on my house. They never did.

I’ve emailed Dublin SC before but I never got a response. So I had to call and wait over 30 min on the phone.

I also have a sunk frunk. I pointed it out to Dublin SC but they wouldn’t do anything because it’s allegedly within spec. I looked around the parking lot one day and I have yet to see a car with such a huge gap between the hood and the panels surrounding it.

When I went to Tesla Dublin SC in October, the guy questioned whether the paint scratch was really from their previous work and told me that I should focus on saving the environment and not on panel gaps.

• Informative
Reactions: jkoya and OPRCE
They take your car in for months to sit in an ever-expanding queue, while you could have been driving it? This is abusive!

the guy questioned whether the paint scratch was really from their previous work and told me that I should focus on saving the environment and not on panel gaps

I'd recommend this bloody insolence is the point at which to blow the stack and raise some hell with bosses several levels up.

To be clear, I’ve had my car with me while waiting in the ever expanding queue.

What is T and P?

I do wish I didn’t have to go through all this trouble. It was a big purchase for me, more than twice I had ever spent on a car. I do ask myself if I’ve been such a pushover. Regardless, I hope this gets resolved soon. Thank you everyone for the support.

I also have a sunk frunk. I pointed it out to Dublin SC but they wouldn’t do anything because it’s allegedly within spec. I looked around the parking lot one day and I have yet to see a car with such a huge gap between the hood and the panels surrounding it.

This is exactly what happened to me !!! I noticed the huge gap between the front passenger fender and the frunk. I told the delivery guy I wanted it fixed and he also gave me the line of "it's within Tesla spec". He then told me, if the car was there, that means it met all of Tesla's specifications and was ready for delivery. Walked around in the rain to look at the other Model 3s on the lot and they had better frunk alignment.

When I called Telsa to find out about getting the paint problems fixed, I had them add the misaligned frunk back into my "service profile"..which was their term for the pending work needed on my car.

On my consult appointment, the manger assigned to me noticed the frunk misalignment right away. Kniesel's Collision did a nice job in centering the frunk. It looks so much better now !! Kniesel's Collision in Rocklin, CA is a Tesla approved body shop and about a mile away from the Tesla Rocklin SC. I was told by a Tesla mobile tech they have a special building that only repairs Teslas.

On a delivery day side note - there was a red Model 3 parked next to me waiting for the new owner to take delivery. The frunk was in perfect alignment, but there was a huge gap between the driver's side rear door and quarter panel. It was big enough for me to get my little finger in the gap. After I saw that, I noticed almost every Tesla at Rocklin had panel gap alignment issues in one place or another. My Tesla Model S 75D rental had panel gaps and trim alignment worse than my Model 3.

Have you tried contacting Tesla through their Northern CA concerns email ? They respond quickly and are very gracious and professional. My experience through them has been excellent.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out - I'm praying for you !

Reactions: notsure11
To be clear, I’ve had my car with me while waiting in the ever expanding queue.

What is T and P?

I do wish I didn’t have to go through all this trouble. It was a big purchase for me, more than twice I had ever spent on a car. I do ask myself if I’ve been such a pushover. Regardless, I hope this gets resolved soon. Thank you everyone for the support.
Thoughts and prayers

• Love
Okay, here is the email for Northern CA concerns:

[email protected]

I attached a lot of pics with my emails as documentation to what I considered a delivery defect. They were very nice and said they added each one to my service profile. They also said they wanted to ensure I had a positive experience with Tesla and my concerns would be take care of.

Tesla needs to have more "Tesla Approved" body shops. When I was picking up my car, I heard someone say the backlog for repair was over 3 months now (was 2.5 months in December).

Good Luck !!

• Helpful
Okay, here is the email for Northern CA concerns:

[email protected]

I attached a lot of pics with my emails as documentation to what I considered a delivery defect. They were very nice and said they added each one to my service profile. They also said they wanted to ensure I had a positive experience with Tesla and my concerns would be take care of.

Tesla needs to have more "Tesla Approved" body shops. When I was picking up my car, I heard someone say the backlog for repair was over 3 months now (was 2.5 months in December).

Good Luck !!
Thank you so much!

I've been on the virtual queue at Dublin since early October for some body shop work on the rear deck lid. Not anything critical but I would like to get it done and over with as quickly as possible.

I went back to Dublin for a separate service issue last month and asked them about it and they mentioned that they're still working through the queue. The guy didn't confirm whether I was still on the queue or not. I figured they were just busy and would get to it eventually. A couple weeks later, after getting my car back, it suddenly occurred to me that their response was inadequate. I contacted Tesla service (since there's no direct number) and they reached out to Dublin service on my behalf and reassured me that they are working through the queue. They anticipate I would be up in about a month or so (something this month in March).

I love my car but service just cannot keep with demand. Something tells me I'll be reaching out to support again later this month about where I am on the queue.