Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Energy quote today and a question about net metering with SCE

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you get Enphase, there might be a challenge in the ability to see all the microinverters after the work is complete. I've paused my write up on my blog with Day One of my install until I get some clarity on go forward for my installs.

One thing I used to enjoy was visibility to each panel's production, but after the PW2 install, the signal sucks and I see a partial view of each panel's production. (They're using some sort of data stream over powerlines to report to the enphase box and it's just not getting a good signal and it's a $$$ truck roll from my solar provider (not Tesla/Solar City))
In order to get a signal from the panels, you have to put the Enphase monitoring device on a circuit on the same panel as the solar. Normally, Tesla would move the solar circuit(s) to the critical loads panel so that the solar can charge the batteries when the grid is down. If the Enphase box is still connected to a circuit on the main panel, it will be hard for the powerline data to get through. Unfortunately, Enphase does not make it easy to see the signal quality between the panels and the monitoring device.

In order to get a signal from the panels, you have to put the Enphase monitoring device on a circuit on the same panel as the solar. Normally, Tesla would move the solar circuit(s) to the critical loads panel so that the solar can charge the batteries when the grid is down. If the Enphase box is still connected to a circuit on the main panel, it will be hard for the powerline data to get through. Unfortunately, Enphase does not make it easy to see the signal quality between the panels and the monitoring device.

thanks, that's what I suspected too. The 3 sets of PV breakers are on the same panel as PW2.

Yep, it's very common to install a 120V circuit/outlet in your solar combiner box where your Enphase feeds terminate just for your Envoy. Sometimes, it takes additional filtering to to keep noise off the Enphase circuits, this tech brief covers that: https://enphase.com/sites/default/files/Power_Line_Filter_Single-Phase_TechBrief.pdf The short version is that you can install a couple ferrite beads on the hot-wires to either isolate the Enphase circuits, or if you know what device/circuit is generating the noise, you can install the ferrite beads on those lines.

I reached out to Solar City for a quote to install panels on my house in Pennsylvania. They quoted me $3.10/watt for a 6.6kwh system with no powerwall. The system was at $20,462 excluding local incentives. Including local incentives and with the $500 Tesla discount they are offering, the price comes to $19,762.

Update for me: after going back and forth with several companies, we did end up choosing Tesla Energy for our solar with 2 powerwall system. They have a “best price garuntee” program where they will match your other quotes down to some minimum price floor. That got them down from $4.27/watt to $3.55/watt on the solar portion.

With two Powerwalls, Tesla Energy actually matched the total cost for the bid I had from another company for solar + 2 Powerwalls. The other company was only charging $3.00/watt for the solar, but wanted $20k for the Powerwalls. The 3rd company I got a bid from didn’t have Powerwalls in stock.

While we could have gotten the cheap panels from the one company and the Powerwalls from Tesla later, that would significantly lower my chances at getting the SGIP rebate. Besides, I much prefer the aesthetics of the Tesla setup with the skirts around the panels.

So here is what we are getting installed:
11.05 kW system with the new 325W Panasonic low profile black/black panels with the skirts
Delta Power Optimizer Inverter
2 Powerwalls

Total system cost before incentives: $52765
Net cost with Federal tax credit and Step 3 SGIP rebate: $29509
Payback period: 7 years

Reactions: Dave EV
@Az_Rael,
My system mirrors yours. Unfortunately no rebates/incentives in fossil energy TX.
Good luck on your install. Had separate bids as well. One company offered Sonnen battery and another
LG. Went with 2 PW2’s.

Currently in HOA review and approval process.

Also same optimizer and panels. 10.725 kw solar system. Ran out of usable roof space or
Would of purchased a larger system.

Already had neighbors visit asking about solar and battery options. Hoping this is a start of a movement
Towards renewable energy.

@Az_Rael,
My system mirrors yours. Unfortunately no rebates/incentives in fossil energy TX.
Good luck on your install. Had separate bids as well. One company offered Sonnen battery and another
LG. Went with 2 PW2’s.

Also same optimizer and panels. 10.725 kw solar system. Ran out of usable roof space or

Already had neighbors visit asking about solar and battery options. Hoping this is a start of a movement

Awesome! We used to live in Arlington, TX. Looked into solar briefly, but with no net metering (at that time) or any sort of incentives other than the Federal tax credit it was a tough sell. And then there is hail to consider, LOL. I am glad to see some Texans getting solar! I would have done it for the battery backup alone if Tesla had existed back then. We used to always have power outages, sometimes for multiple days during those ice storms.

@Az_Rael,
LG. Went with 2 PW2’s.

Awesome! We used to live in Arlington, TX. Looked into solar briefly, but with no net metering (at that time) or any sort of incentives other than the Federal tax credit it was a tough sell. And then there is hail to consider, LOL. I am glad to see some Texans getting solar! I would have done it for the battery backup alone if Tesla had existed back then. We used to always have power outages, sometimes for multiple days during those ice storms.

I wonder if @nwfan PW setup can take advantage of Texas' excess overnight end energy and charge the PW for free

@Az_Rael, did Solar City offer you Solar Edge Inverter and optimizer?
I was told would be Solar Edge String Inverter with power optimizer at each panel.
Then during the design phase Solar City says need to switch over to the Delta Inverter and guess Tilgo Optimizer.
Don't know why the change. Do you have any idea? Wonder if has to do with quick shutdown feature of the Delta Optimizer and
grid interface? Still trying to get answers.

Tesla is about to take off. Model 3 is going to be a HIT. The demand will far exceed supply, In the energy sector Powerwall give consumers alternatives to TOU rates, brown outs and black outs. Solar Panel producing higher effiencies and power output.
Unfortunately disaster waking up many to solar and battery supply. Neighbors linking to each other powerwalls. Look at what happening in Aussie Land with Tesla Energy. It's exploding and fill power need that was neglected.
The Future looks good. And Space X about to bury United Space Alliance with potenial to save Govt and companies billions in delivery costs on there payloads.

If Tesla can supply the demand throughout the world, it's a moment in time I remember. I bought my 1st iPod and thought this is going to explode into a massive hit and be a lead-in to other tech products. Apple stock was selling at 18 a share. Soon after they introduced iPhone and rest is history.

Time to buy Tesla stock IMHO

@Az_Rael, did Solar City offer you Solar Edge Inverter and optimizer?
I was told would be Solar Edge String Inverter with power optimizer at each panel.
Then during the design phase Solar City says need to switch over to the Delta Inverter and guess Tilgo Optimizer.
Don't know why the change. Do you have any idea? Wonder if has to do with quick shutdown feature of the Delta Optimizer and
grid interface? Still trying to get answers.

No, SolarEdge was not mentioned. I have not been through the design phase yet, though. Our site survey is scheduled for October 6