Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Engineering Chief Doug Field to Leave Company

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Doug Field, Tesla’s engineering chief won’t return from his leave of absence, the Wall Street Journal reported.

Field, senior vice president of engineering, took leave in May “to recharge and spend time with his family,” the company said at the time. They did not indicate that the leave would be permanent.

Now, Tesla has confirmed Field’s intention to leave the company. “After almost five years at Tesla, Doug Field is moving on. We’d like to thank Doug for his hard work over the years and for everything he has done for Tesla,” the company said.

Reports developed in April that Chief Executive Elon Musk had taken over Model 3 production from Field. Musk replied to the reporter on Twitter, saying he asked Field, who was in charge of both engineering and production, to focus on engineering in an effort to leverage his experience to make cars easier to build. Musk said he regards Field as one of the “world’s most talented engineering execs.”

Field joins a series of high-profile executives who have left the company. Tesla Autopilot chief Jim Keller left the company in late April, after chief accounting officer Eric Branderiz and corporate treasurer and VP of finance Susan Repo departed the month prior. Tesla head of global sales Jon McNeill left the company in February. And, Tesla’s Chief Information Officer Gary Clark left last month.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not much of a surprise. Not to me. If my boss took over my job, I too would begin a serious job search. But Elon did what was right for the company. He remained in the factory 24/7 to reach (and exceed) the lofty production goal he had set. I wish I had the money to purchase more shares of Tesla.