Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla EV Tax Credits coming back?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What if I don't owe anything in taxes? Should I change my current with holdings if I want to make use of tax credits?
Changing your current withholdings does nothing for what you owe in federal taxes. If you owe $0 and withhold $15,000, then you still owed $0 and get a refund for $15,000. You would not qualify for the EV tax credit as written today.

This new bill say starting in 2022, then you would qualify (if you buy the car next year) because it would become a refundable credit on Jan 1st. If you owe $0, you can get the full credit and essentially owe negative $10,000.

Reactions: TwelveVoltMan
What if I don't owe anything in taxes? Should I change my current with holdings if I want to make use of tax credits?
It's not about how much you owe at the end of the year. It's about your tax liability for the year. So if you pay $7500 in taxes over the year, and get $0 refund at the end of the year then you can get that $7500 back with this "Tax credit". If you only paid $6000 you only get $6000 back as it's not refundable. Currently.

Reactions: rjpjnk
It seems based on page 33 of the bill that it would lift the current cap to let tesla and GM take advantage of the old credit on and after May 24th, and then in 2022 we have a new credit added on.
Yes and in 2022 the credit becomes refundable. Which means it doesn't matter what your federal tax liability is. Everyone qualifies for the credit.

(Assuming private individual)
For a Tesla it would depend on the rules for the credit. There's a lot up in then air, and a bunch of different bills dealing with it.
Some just want to make it a point-of-sale rebate.
The _current_ EV tax credit is just a non-refundable tax credit, which means it reduces your annual tax liability.
That is, it reduces the total tax you _should_ have paid The Man, but it can't reduce it below 0.
It can't reduce _all_ taxes that you might owe, but for most workers, it can.

It's Claimed on Form 8936.
The amount is added to Schedule 3 Line 6 (Non-refundable credits section).
That's totaled in Schedule 3 Line 7.
That total is enter on 1040 Line 20.

1622137639478.png

PS I miss the UK's PAYE.

Last edited:
Reactions: TwelveVoltMan
I would expect significant price increases if a Tesla purchase has a refundable $10,000 tax incentive. Probably $5K or more, even though I feel like that should not be allowed. Tesla changes their prices based on the direction the wind is blowing these days.

Reactions: msm859
So then, this retroactive rebate then depends on the actual purchase date, which is when you take delivery etc and not the order date I assume (stupid question but wanted to double check). Seems good for the folks waiting on their Ys right now since the May 24th date has passed.

So then, this retroactive rebate then depends on the actual purchase date, which is when you take delivery etc and not the order date I assume (stupid question but wanted to double check). Seems good for the folks waiting on their Ys right now since the May 24th date has passed.
It's the date the car is delivered to you and you sign the final papers.

Is there a lifetime limit to tax credit? I already claimed $7500 back in 2017 for a S, but have a Y on order right now. If this bill passes, can I reclaim 7500?
From what I have seen, I believe you can claim it every year you purchase an EV that qualifies. I haven't seen any limitations on the number of times. However, if someone can quote the opposite, I will be happy to see that reference. I also took advantage of the max tax credit for the PHEV I purchased in 2018, which was $5,836 for a 12.0 kWh battery.

Again, you have to distinguish between your total federal tax liability (line 24 on the form 1040 posted above) and "what you owe" (or what refund you are due) when you subtract the money withheld from your paycheck or paid in making quarterly tax payments from that total tax liability when you file your taxes.

From what I have seen, I believe you can claim it every year you purchase an EV that qualifies. I haven't seen any limitations on the number of times. However, if someone can quote the opposite, I will be happy to see that reference. I also took advantage of the max tax credit for the PHEV I purchased in 2018, which was $5,836 for a 12.0 kWh battery.
Is there any limit on the number of rebates in one tax year? I already have 4500 coming back this year for a Prius purchase. Can I add the model Y 7500 as well if my tax liability is at least the sum (12000)?

I like this, but how do you know this? How can we be 100% sure they don’t say the order date has to be after May 24?
The order date has nothing to do with the gov't. You didn't buy the car. This is strictly a Tesla mechanism for their production supply chain. The "date placed in service" is the day you own and can begin using the car. According to the IRS even if you bought the car, but could not drive it off the lot for whatever reason, it still was not put in service. The day you own and are capable of using the car is what the gov't cares about.