Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I generated the form, but how do I determine that Tesla indeed submitted the form to the IRS?!
The form is authorized by a Tesla rep basically stating that your VIN was registered and submitted to the IRS.

You do not actually need this form for your filing, its for your records/proof only.

I filed for my 2023 Model X LR credit on 2/14 via TurboTax using IRS form 8936.

All they ask for is your VIN and date the vehicle was put into service. The vehicle type/price is already pre-qualified by Tesla's filings.

Great video series by the "Bearded Tesla Guy" covering both last year and this years point-of-sale credits.

Last edited:
I thought I was going to miss the $7,500 credit because of some surprise income, but today my wife saw this.

You can use your modified AGI from the year you take delivery of the vehicle or the year before, whichever is less. If your modified AGI is below the threshold in one of the two years, you can claim the credit.
Quoting myself here.

I had my taxes professionally done today. I brought up the tax credit issue, I made too much this year to get my $7,500 credit, but last year my adjusted gross income was under the $300k cap and we can go back a year.

He looked at me like I was wrong so I showed him what my wife found on the IRS web site.

He'd never heard of it, but read what she found and agreed it looked like a loophole for me. When he input it, the software pulled up last years return and gave me the $7,500 credit. Without that credit I was needing to write a check to the IRS for almost $6k, instead I got a refund.

Page 2:
1709336081075.png

Last edited:
Quoting myself here.

I had my taxes professionally done today. I brought up the tax credit issue, I made too much this year to get my $7,500 credit, but last year my adjusted gross income was under the $300k cap and we can go back a year.

He looked at me like I was wrong so I showed him what my wife found on the IRS web site.

He'd never heard of it, but read what she found and agreed it looked like a loophole for me. When he input it, the software pulled up last years return and gave me the $7,500 credit. Without that credit I was needing to write a check to the IRS for almost $6k, instead I got a refund.

Page 2:
View attachment 1023729
Thanks for posting this. Although I don't have the worry of going over 300,000 for 2023 (unfortunately), this is good information since, as you note, accountants may not be up on this. Also, I really appreciate you like on the My Electric Car music video posting. I will have more songs to promote later, but concentrating on trying to get this one in front of people. When I sign on, its kind of hard to find. You seem to be seasoned veteran at posting in TMC. Do you have any tips for posting to increase views? Thank you!!!

Same situation here.

I actually found out about the fiasco from a rejection via freetaxUSA.

I generated my document, but the Form 15400 is not something the taxpayer submits to the IRS, it's on Tesla to do it.
Pretty frustrated right now and Tesla has been incredibly quiet about this.
I e-filed it on 2/16 via Turbotax but got rejected on the next day. They said " The VIN does not match on their e-file database."
Later, I found out that we have 2 owners on the purchase contract and Tesla sent 15400 form to IRS under my wife's SSN but
Turbotax generated form 8936 under my SSN. I could not change my SSN on Form 8936 in Turbotax, so I have to go back to
Tesla account to regenerate the 15400 under my SSN.

• Informative
Reactions: Silicon Desert
Update: I was able to submit my returns via FreeTaxUSA again yesterday and it was admitted.

My wife spoke with Tesla Customer Service (call the sales branch), and they were aware of the issue. They were able to confirm my VIN and SSN were submitted to the IRS and after that I tried again for the 4th time in 3 weeks, this time successfully

Reactions: Skavatar
Update: I was able to submit my returns via FreeTaxUSA again yesterday and it was admitted.

My wife spoke with Tesla Customer Service (call the sales branch), and they were aware of the issue. They were able to confirm my VIN and SSN were submitted to the IRS and after that I tried again for the 4th time in 3 weeks, this time successfully

Great to hear that. It's has been 16 days since they accepted my return. They are still processing it.
It seems like there are checking with DMV that make sure it's not a fraud . It might take more than 3 weeks, I guess.

No one has done a Cat Girls and Tesla’s thread. Maybe there's a reason…

View attachment 1024716

Wow, I watched and the amount of thought and effort that she put into that was really impressive. Almost as good as my video :) What a great halloween costume that would be! I thought about having my black cat with me during my video, but I knew she wouldn't stay still for the shoot. That would have made it viral for sure.

My first filing attempt on Feb 16 was rejected. I realized I needed to generate the 15400 form on my Tesla account, so after doing so and refiling I received an email notification that my return was accepted. I've been waiting for the return since then and regularly logged into the "where's my return" portal on the IRS website, which surprisingly stated "submitted" instead of "accepted." Today, I found out that the IRS adjusted my return without the $7,500 tax credit (I noticed a pending deposit in my bank account, exactly $7,500 less than what it should've been). The IRS portal states they are going to mail a notice that explains the changes they made to my tax return by Mar 25. I'm currently on my second phone call with the IRS trying to resolve the situation now instead of waiting for their letter.

• Informative
Reactions: Silicon Desert
My first filing attempt on Feb 16 was rejected. I realized I needed to generate the 15400 form on my Tesla account, so after doing so and refiling I received an email notification that my return was accepted. I've been waiting for the return since then and regularly logged into the "where's my return" portal on the IRS website, which surprisingly stated "submitted" instead of "accepted." Today, I found out that the IRS adjusted my return without the $7,500 tax credit (I noticed a pending deposit in my bank account, exactly $7,500 less than what it should've been). The IRS portal states they are going to mail a notice that explains the changes they made to my tax return by Mar 25. I'm currently on my second phone call with the IRS trying to resolve the situation now instead of waiting for their letter.
Hmmm, I never needed to do anything in my Tesla account about a 15400 form. Filed my fed taxes, the IRS side pretty much immediately indicated "Received". I think that is what you mean by "submitted". Never saw anything that read "Accepted", however within a couple hours I saw "Refund Approved", and got the money within a week. In fact, by now being retired and on social security, we don't even make enough from SSI to get any of the $7,500 credit, so I removed a LOT of money from our IRA (tax free due to the credit) in order to gain the full $7,500 credit.

Hoping you will be able to get this resolved and get your credit :)

Thanks for sharing. It looks like take more than 4 weeks to get the refund In TX due to the Ev credit claim.
I think it will also take more than 4 weeks in CA.
Do you know how much you owe the IRS? Maybe you don't owe enough money to get the credit.
I will post the update as soon as I have one.