Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For those who picked up their tax credit edition MX in 2023 and think/know they qualify for the tax credit, the required form that the dealer (Tesla) has to provide and submit to the IRS has been posted to your documents page on your Tesla account. The document is labelled as "IRA Clean Vehicles Credit Report" also known as Form 15400 which tells the IRS that your purchase qualifies for the tax credit.

I haven’t received that form as of today. I purchased 3/16/23.

I stopped by Tesla store last week. He said it should be in my documents. It wasn’t there. Then he said IRS extended deadline to 1/31. Ugh.

@Jerryr you can do it on Tesla website check out this tread

https://www.reddit.com/r/TeslaLounge/s/usvW9cJLuV hope this helps if anyone is still not seeing the form

Credit to u/30jaykay for spotting this and sharing - Tesla is allowing users to request an IRS form 15400 to be generated. As far as I can tell this only works for CURRENTLY OWNED vehicles, and doesn't appear to allow for other things like changing to a different co-registrant, etc. But it's a step in the right direction.

Looks like you can request a form to be generated on the Tesla website.

1. ⁠⁠Login to Tesla Account from a web browser not an app
  2. ⁠⁠Check under documents if you see the document called “IRA Clean Vehicle Credit Report”
  3. ⁠⁠If you see this – you don’t have to do anything!
  4. ⁠⁠If you do not see document
  5. ⁠⁠Login to Tesla Account from web browser not the app (if already logged in ignore)
  6. ⁠⁠Go to ? Icon at top left corner of the browser
  7. ⁠⁠Click the “Contact Us button”
  8. ⁠⁠Select Ask Question
  9. ⁠⁠Generate 2023 IRA document
  10. ⁠⁠Select VIN
  11. ⁠⁠SSN - do it on the private machine as its not masked
  12. ⁠⁠Submit - – get message Your document will be available in the Documents section of your Tesla Account within 24 hours
Mobile users: click Menu > Support > scroll down to Contact Us

https://www.reddit.com/r/TeslaLounge/s/usvW9cJLuV hope this helps if anyone is still not seeing the form

Credit to u/30jaykay for spotting this and sharing - Tesla is allowing users to request an IRS form 15400 to be generated. As far as I can tell this only works for CURRENTLY OWNED vehicles, and doesn't appear to allow for other things like changing to a different co-registrant, etc. But it's a step in the right direction.

2. ⁠⁠Check under documents if you see the document called “IRA Clean Vehicle Credit Report”
  5. ⁠⁠Login to Tesla Account from web browser not the app (if already logged in ignore)
  8. ⁠⁠Select Ask Question
  10. ⁠⁠Select VIN
  12. ⁠⁠Submit - – get message Your document will be available in the Documents section of your Tesla Account within 24 hours
THANKS THANKS THANKS THANKS!!!!!

I followed instructions and it stated: and IT SHOWED UP 5 MINUTES LATER!!!!

Request Submitted​

Your document will be available in the Documents section of your Tesla Account within 24 hours

Last edited:
Reactions: Skavatar
Here is my 15400 with Personal info redacted

Attachments

• 15400.jpg
    15400.jpg
    462.2 KB · Views: 227

8. ⁠⁠Select Ask Question
  10. ⁠⁠Select VIN
These instructions from tesla are not accurate anymore--or at least not in all scenarios.

In my case I Just logged in directly and under "manage" for my car > documents > "IRA Clean Vehicles Credit Report" was one of them. July pickup, december 23 generated by troy jones.

I never requested anything. When checking out last year I was sure to click yes on requiring one, though.

8. ⁠⁠Select Ask Question
  10. ⁠⁠Select VIN

Great tip, thanks for sharing with the group!

If the co-owner is not listed on the Tesla clean vehicle seller report, can they still claim the tax credit? There are conflicting accounts: some suggest the co-owner could claim it, while others indicate that the credit is only allowable on the tax return of the owner listed in the seller’s report. I initially misunderstood the intricacies of the tax credit system and found that I don't qualify for it. However, my mom, who is the co-owner listed on the registration, does qualify. Despite her eligibility, I am the only one listed on the seller report.

What about the $80k MSRP limit on the tax credit. No one seems to be talking about this.

The only way I can see to get a Model X that qualifies is to go plain vanilla at purchase. Literally no upgrades is 79,995.00. What am I missing here?
You're not missing anything. Up until a few weeks ago, you could order any color X with no other options and still be under the $79,995 cap. I'm picking up my Ultra Red tax edition Friday!

I generated the form, but how do I determine that Tesla indeed submitted the form to the IRS?!
Same situation here.

I actually found out about the fiasco from a rejection via freetaxUSA.

I generated my document, but the Form 15400 is not something the taxpayer submits to the IRS, it's on Tesla to do it.
Pretty frustrated right now and Tesla has been incredibly quiet about this.