Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, EVs, and the auto industry's response

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I started this thread in 2015 to talk about how the auto industry is reacting to Tesla - Tesla's mission, after all, is to change the whole industry because Tesla can't build enough EVs by themselves.

As has been repeatedly noted, progress is very slow, which I find frustrating. However, given the business environment that the automakers and dealers are in (described above), it's not really surprising. We don't have to assume a conspiracy; risk aversion and self-interest are enough to make the transition to EVs a slow one.

There have, however, been some positive developments. And I believe the developments can indeed be traced to Tesla's influence. Even some of the competition's executives occasionally point out that Tesla is indeed moving the needle.

A SECOND VOLUME CAR APPEARS

One development (not terribly new, but at least newer than the thread) is that Tesla is no longer the only automaker following the "Volume" strategy with an EV. As I suspected earlier, the 2nd-gen Nissan Leaf also appears to be a volume car.
12712_cc0640_032_qak.png

The first-gen LEAF primarily followed the conquest strategy; and in fact Nissan bragged to its dealers about how well the strategy worked to bring new buyers to the brand. However, they sold a ton of them, and in fact I have heard through a back-channel that Nissan actually considers themselves to have directly made money on the first-gen car. Of course, part of that depends on how much of its development cost they attribute solely to the gen-1 LEAF, and how much they apportion to other cars. Despite the large number of cars they sold, I still find it a little hard to believe it succeeded at volume, largely because of how much they seemed to subsidize leases to move cars with very low lease rates. The resale value certainly didn't seem to coincide with lease costs.

But in any event, Nissan for a long time spoke of the need for the second-gen to be a Volume car, and in fact said that better looks, longer range and more accessible DC charging were the key components they needed to get there - I agree with that assessment. The 2nd-gen LEAF is still not a beautiful car, but it does look like a typical volume Nissan, and they seem to be pushing it as a volume car. I see this as a very positive development, and I believe Tesla's success helped push Nissan to this point. (Although as I noted before, Tesla may also have inadvertently slowed Nissan down with the Model S, which made Nissan cancel their ~2012 plans for a versioned Infiniti with the gen-1 LEAF powertrain).

The sad part to this news is that 2nd-gen LEAF sales, while OK, are not great. But I think that's more about implementation and competition than strategy. I think Nissan was really trying for a volume car, but the competition (not just the Model 3, although that is big - also consider the Bolt and Kona/Niro) has really advanced, and Nissan is still partly held back by heat degradation of their original batteries.

THE RISE OF THE CANNIBALIZING CONQUEST (/DEFENSE) CAR

Unfortunately, the second-gen LEAF is still the only other EV I see following the volume strategy in the US. But there is other good news. Conquest cars, while not high volume, can be good mid-volume cars. But earlier in the thread we bemoaned the fact that the conquest cars were all of the "non-cannibalizing" (read: intentionally unattractive) variety to avoid cannibalizing sales of higher-margin ICE vehicles; this of course keeps sales on the lower end. But this is no longer true!

Jaguar iPace:
9256-2019-jaguar-i-pace

Jaguar, Audi, Porsche and Mercedes, at least, are all bringing out conquest vehicles that don't appear to be purposely handicapped to avoid cannibalization. Why are they now willing to cannibalize their own sales, when they weren't before? Because Tesla was doing the cannibalizing for them! Essentially, the other automakers are now combining the Conquest strategy with the Defensive strategy, to try to keep their customers from switching over to Tesla. A "defense" car doesn't have to be as good as the conquest car it is defending against (I believe Tesla is internally following the Volume strategy, but in terms of their effect on other automakers, it is very much like a bombshell Conquest car), but the other automakers already don't have the range, performance, overall utility, or charging network that Tesla has, so they can't afford any intentional handicaps like appearance. They have to switch some of their ICE sales to EV sales in order to keep their market share.

Unfortunately none of these new cars are volume cars; if for no other reason, the automakers don't have access to enough batteries to make them so. But their messaging appears more serious about getting people to consider the cars, so we are well beyond "Compliance" level work here. And while they are all expensive, they fit in fairly well to the portfolios of these premium manufacturers and do not appear to be handicapped in terms of utility, comfort and visibility, so I don't think they fit the "Halo" strategy either.

Audi e-Tron:
Audi-etron-Exterior-170076.jpg

Porsche Taycan:
porsche-taycan-will-be-the-first-car-with-built-in-apple-mus_h9fz.png

Mercedes EQC:

jay-leno-drives-the-2020-mercedes-benz-eqc400_100685192_l.jpg

No single one of these cars will sell in enough quantity to make a difference to the industry by itself. However, as a group they can move the needle on EV volume; more importantly, I think they portend more changes to come. If they sell all they build (most likely battery-limited) it may help convince the automakers and dealers to try a real volume car next. Not to mention...a bunch of high-end EVs will help spark consumer interest in EVs in general. Good news all around.

I believe Leaf/Renault Zoe sales outside the US are fairly strong, but in the US the Leaf is still a low seller. So far this year Nissan has sold fewer Leafs than Chevy has sold Bolts (only 9111 Leafs to date). That's the 5th best selling EV behind the entire Tesla line up and the Bolt.

Though overall I agree with what you're saying. Most of the new EVs coming to market are the first toes in the water with EVs that aren't EV ghetto cars. The EV ghetto were the cars produced by mainstream car makers to get regulators off their backs. They were compromised designs that often looked like a clown car. The mainstream are beginning to take Tesla seriously and trying to make cars that can take on Tesla in quality and looks, though they are still way behind in range.

The volumes of these new cars are low because battery stocks are limited and the companies still need to learn how to make and market EVs. The Europeans are getting serious about this because they have both pressure from their governments as well as pressure from Tesla. The US automakers are complacent because the government is not putting pressure on them and their best selling vehicles still aren't challenged by Tesla.

I haven't really looked carefully in to this car yet, but I suspect the just-announced Volvo XC40 Recharge is another combo Conquest/Defense car that the manufacturer is trying to make as nice as possible without concern about cannibalizing their own ICE vehicles - thanks to Tesla taking away some of their market share.

It's still probably not a Volume car (they don't have enough batteries for that) but it's the next best thing - a great mid-volume car that will help increase interest in EVs. The apparent flood of these cars arriving makes me think that more Volume cars might not really be so far away.

Volvo-XC-40-Electric-from-WeVee.jpg

FWIW

Byd' phevs probably make more profit than byd bevs.

And per car, mitsubishi phev probably makes more profit than nissan leaf.

The phevs are useful in SUV CUV land. That is where the profit is now, sedans and hatchs are generally low rent products in the mass market now.

Is a third volume car on the way?

The Ford Mustang Mach E:

mac3.jpg

They may not be making it for almost a year. I, at least, am not clear on how battery supplies may limit their ability to build them (that could be my fault for not really paying attention until production plans are final). Their charging strategy, while perhaps not yet completely revealed, still seems to fall short of Tesla's. Ford has a history of trying to make their very-cheaply-built (following the Versioning strategy), compromised compliance/defense cars not look like compliance cars by "technically" making them available everywhere (yet dealers in my non-ZEV state complain about not being able to get cars allocated here, and after all these years, in this EV-heavy area, I see just about zero of them on the roads).

So I am wary. But I am excited about tomorrow's announcement. A decent-looking compact SUV with specs - and as important, pricing - extremely close to the Model Y. Some real-sounding marketing (although hard to distinguish volume from halo marketing until the car is really released). They are using both the Mustang and Mach names, which are valuable properties that I am sure they don't want to dilute. It's hard to be sure, but this could be the real thing. I am excited.

The only thing I don't like about my 3 is that it's not a hatchback. Given that my wife's X is our road-trip car, I could conceivably replace my 3 with one of these. I am not at all sure that I will, but I sure as heck will be checking it out.

Speaking of which, I drove an i-Pace at the Seattle Auto Show yesterday. I like the styling, and the hatchback format. It seems quite comfortable for 4 adults. Still no good distance charging plan, but again my wife's X can handle that, so the i-Pace would work as our second car. It was smooth and quiet and I'm sure it would be fine...but for roughly the same price as my P3D, I would far prefer to keep my Tesla. Here's hoping the Mustang Mach E GT builds in a little more driving excitement...

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Electroman
Is a third volume car on the way?

The Ford Mustang Mach E:

View attachment 477736

They may not be making it for almost a year. I, at least, am not clear on how battery supplies may limit their ability to build them (that could be my fault for not really paying attention until production plans are final). Their charging strategy, while perhaps not yet completely revealed, still seems to fall short of Tesla's. Ford has a history of trying to make their very-cheaply-built (following the Versioning strategy), compromised compliance/defense cars not look like compliance cars by "technically" making them available everywhere (yet dealers in my non-ZEV state complain about not being able to get cars allocated here, and after all these years, in this EV-heavy area, I see just about zero of them on the roads).

So I am wary. But I am excited about tomorrow's announcement. A decent-looking compact SUV with specs - and as important, pricing - extremely close to the Model Y. Some real-sounding marketing (although hard to distinguish volume from halo marketing until the car is really released). They are using both the Mustang and Mach names, which are valuable properties that I am sure they don't want to dilute. It's hard to be sure, but this could be the real thing. I am excited.

The only thing I don't like about my 3 is that it's not a hatchback. Given that my wife's X is our road-trip car, I could conceivably replace my 3 with one of these. I am not at all sure that I will, but I sure as heck will be checking it out.

Speaking of which, I drove an i-Pace at the Seattle Auto Show yesterday. I like the styling, and the hatchback format. It seems quite comfortable for 4 adults. Still no good distance charging plan, but again my wife's X can handle that, so the i-Pace would work as our second car. It was smooth and quiet and I'm sure it would be fine...but for roughly the same price as my P3D, I would far prefer to keep my Tesla. Here's hoping the Mustang Mach E GT builds in a little more driving excitement...

My First impressions...
- A nice first gen EV from Ford.
- Priced about in line with the Model 3.
- Front nose cone reminiscent of Gen 1 Model S.
- It will sell well to the Ford Faithfull in the American market

Reactions: ChadS and gene
My biggest question about the Mustang Mach-E still centers around the battery. I know they are getting them from the LG Chem factory in Poland (and I know that several months ago LG Chem was thinking about a new factory in the US, which may have been due to Ford talks and I hope this is still underway). But I still haven't seen anything about quantities. Quantity is key in a volume car...

But from what I've heard Ford do and say so far, it sure seems like they are trying to make it a volume car. Yes, to us Tesla owners it may seem like they are missing the mark in a few places. For example:
  • They seem to be targeting current Tesla specs - they seem to just match Y range estimates, for example - but Tesla is a moving target
  • Ford is (already!) a little bit behind on acceleration
  • Ford is a little bit behind on cargo space
  • Ford won't offer third row seating
  • Ford is a lot behind on efficiency (they are using notably larger batteries to get range similar to the Y). Or...are they just holding a lot more of the battery in reserve for longevity?
  • Ford hasn't demonstrated much on self-driving yet
  • The FordPass network won't access nearly as many DC stations, at least not to start. And they generally cost more
These things may make it hard for us Tesla owners to switch. But, Tesla just has a small part of the automotive market. My goal isn't to get Tesla owners to switch to Ford; it's to get ICE drivers to switch to EVs. And there Ford will have some notable advantages over Tesla, like
  • Ford has massive production capacity and experience
  • Ford has an advertising budget
  • Ford has many dealers (for both sales and service) in places that are far from Tesla facilities
  • Ford (and Mustang and Mach) are well-known names that will draw attention from ICE fans
  • Ford still has federal tax credits left
And the Mustang itself may have a few advantages over a car like the Y. They are small (and nothing that I care about), but they are all things that some claim are deal-breakers and why they won't buy a Tesla:
  • the appearance is a little more conventional; and it's nice for the packaging - I think mainstream US small-crossover consumers are likely to slightly prefer it to the Y
  • it has a binnacle display
  • it has a few hardware dials and buttons
  • it can be configured to make noise when you drive
  • they will offer 360-view
I think (hope!) this will end up with both Ford and Tesla being really successful, and other manufacturers having to follow suit. Of course that is far more likely if Ford really makes money on this project...which in turn depends on them selling them in volume. Some factors that I think make it likely that Ford really is following a volume strategy, even though I'm still unsure of battery availability:
  • Well, they said they were. Not that I would count on that if it were the only evidence, but it still helps. They have just admitted that their previous efforts were just for compliance (well, they also followed a defensive strategy, but that's not relevant to the point). Not that we needed them to admit it to tell, but it does indicate a large strategy shift that they are willing to say so now.
  • One of their executives (sorry, I can't remember who) said long ago - maybe 2012-ish? - that Ford would not be a leader in this space, but rather a fast-follower. It's a less risky way to make money, and after the 2009 crisis Ford has been careful about risk
  • Timing. Assuming their story is true, they switched strategies two years ago - as the Model 3 was just trickling out. They couldn't yet be sure of 3 production and sales success, but they sure were already aware of the S/X conquest potential, and they were definitely aware of consumer demand for the 3 at least in terms of refundable deposits. That sounds about right for a fast follower to switch from holding back to start copying the leader
  • The are targeting the highest-volume space, compact crossovers. (And next will be the F150, the US sales and Ford profit leader)
  • Using the Mach and Mustang names. Given the volumes of those in the past, and how much they mean to the brand, I can't see any strategy other than "volume" that would make them take the risk of using those names
  • They have repeatedly said the Mach-E will be profitable "from car 1". Of course that is only counting variable costs and ignoring the enormous fixed launch costs, but early variable profits make paying back launch costs possible, and they have been putting a lot of focus on this - I am sure they would avoid all talk of this (like all the compliance, halo and conquest automakers have done) if they weren't shooting for real, volume-strategy profits
  • They put in real effort to make the car appeal to buyers. Even though some Tesla fans snicker that it falls a little short of what the Y promises in a few metrics, Ford has done a lot to make this a serious entry. They created a dedicated EV platform, which costs more but results in a better EV. They made the car look nice (well, about a nice as a compact crossover gets). They copied several popular Tesla features, like the glass roof, frunk, large center screen, unusual door handles, smartphone app, phone-as-key, and over-the-air updates - and while it is easy to deride this as "copying", it was still a serious effort for them that wouldn't make sense for small volumes. They are including 10kW AC and 130/150kW DC charging as standard. And while they aren't making their own charging network, they still put serious effort in to the "Ford Pass" which makes access to multiple networks easy. This is a lot of expensive stuff that is not required to build a car, but attracts more customers which is required for a volume car.
  • They are making a lot of variations. 5 trim levels, two battery choices, steel roof or glass, RWD or AWD, GT or not...it takes time and money to offer these choices, and it's only important to offer them all if you are trying to draw in a lot of people
  • The launch event, while cringe-inducing in a few areas (hey, it's new to them and risky), I still think was a serious effort at attracting a lot of buyers. Sure, some of this can be seen as brand-building, especially since the car isn't for sale yet. But it can also be seen as starting the customer and dealer education process, a necessary step. And the focus on performance, profitability and Mustang heritage all seems like they are really trying to attract buyers for this car, rather than just admiration for the brand. Especially given that Tesla has already done all of this - this would be a really weak halo effort. The car is too cheap and practical for halo. Volume seems to be the only strategy that fits.
  • They have a "reservation" web site ready. Yes, there's really no advantage to us to use this, since you still have to buy from a dealer (nothing Ford can do about that). But it's still a lot of work for Ford, and I believe they are doing it to demonstrate demand to their dealers - especially the ones that customers say they want to buy from (choosing a dealer is one of the reservation steps, even though completely unnecessary at this point).
Even if they have the batteries, and consumer interest...this still is only going to work if the dealers get on board. I hope Ford can show enough customer demand to make that part easy. Without Tesla, Ford clearly would not have attempted this, at least not yet; but with what Tesla has done to improve consumer impressions about EVs and prove demand, I believe Ford can succeed - although it will still take a lot of effort.

Last edited:
Ford use of the Mustang brand is very significant, Ford has many brands but only 2 command enough respect to turn a profit, (F truck and Mustang). The play with the Mustang card means Ford is taking this very seriously, because the opportunity cost is high, very high for Ford. I expect the use of the Mustang brand allows Ford to have enough profit on the table, to share some with the dealer, which helps with the weakest link in the sale of EVs.

Nissan LEAF is kinda like a Sentra / Kicks

Nissan Ariya is Kinda like a Rogue
upload_2019-11-20_9-53-56.png

using petrol engine equivalents Ariya should require about 20% more battery to travel the same distance as a LEAF, just because its a bigger/better car.

Finally, a partial answer to the question of how many Mach Es will Ford build: 50,000 in the first year.

I can't say I am surprised, as I hadn't heard of a large battery deal. I am disappointed, as Ford seems to be all-in on creating this car in volume but 50,000 a year isn't going to cut it. However, to assuage my disappointment:
  • They explicitly said that it was limited due to battery availability. I hope (!) that means they will get more batteries later, and the numbers will rise. C'mon, LG Chem, build that new US factory you have been talking about...
  • I can't find an exact number, but it looks like Tesla only shipped about that many 3s in their first year of production. Of course then they quickly ramped up.
  • The LEAF only topped that number once (2014) in its first 7 years of production (ignoring 2010; just looking at 2011-2017). It has been well over that for 2018 and 2019. Although the first gen was a non-cannibalizing conquest car that happened to do well; only the second gen is really following a volume strategy.
  • That's a lot more than anybody else is doing (at least, looking at cars available in the US; sorry but that's all I follow, although I am using worldwide sales numbers here). The Bolt is selling at roughly half that rate. So the third volume car will be the third-best seller.
  • Ford does need time to get the dealer and customer education worked out, as well as the DC charging situation...so perhaps they plan to start slow and then ramp up. I hope this limit is only for year 1 as they implied.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: mblakele
I can't find an exact number, but it looks like Tesla only shipped about that many 3s in their first year of production. Of course then they quickly ramped up.

The Model 3 total for 2017 was 1764 units according to December 2017 Plug-In Electric Vehicle Sales Report Card — but that was only July-Decemeber. The first full year of production would take us through June 2018, adding 23,832 if December 2018 U.S. Plug-In EV Sales Report Card and my math are both right, for a total of 25,596. But the hammer started to drop in July 2018 and the first 18 months exceeded 140,000 units.

I'd be happy to see Ford making as many EVs as they can sell. Besides validating EVs and being good for the mission, competition is good for consumers.

• Love
Reactions: renim and ChadS
Now this is finally a car I would consider trading my S in for - if VW can get a decent charging network organized in Canada, at least.

VW Presents Its First Electric Station Wagon, the ID. Space Vizzion

Lots of trust issues with VW over dieselgate, but maybe they deserve to be recognized for moving faster into the EV segment than most other manufacturers. Of course, they've all been pushed there by Tesla.

How does the Cybertruck fit in?

The premise of this thread is that Tesla can't build enough cars to convert everybody to electricity, so their mission is to change the whole auto industry. Will the Cybertruck contribute to that mission?

A lot internet comments indicate that it won't. It's too ugly, nobody will buy it, it's playing BAMF when we need to save the environment, it's missing too many truck configurations (single cab, long bed, utility bed, etc), the pillar sails won't allow campers or side loading, etc. Opinions aside, there are several factually correct statements in there. So did Tesla go off the rails?

Tesla hasn't told us much (and likely won't), so we have to do some speculation. Let's start with the Ford F-series trucks - Ford sells over 900k per year. Chevy Silverado and RAM are far behind, but add them all together and we're at about 2M trucks per year. Add in Toyota, Nissan, GMC and the Chevy Colorado, and we're at about 3M trucks per year. Wow. That's a lot of trucks, and clearly Tesla can't just displace the whole lot of them even if everybody was to agree the Cybertruck is perfect and nobody wants anything else. Could Tesla even make enough batteries - and if they could, would that be the best use of them?

Add in the fact that the truck market is the most brand-loyal segment (i.e. Ford buyers stick with Ford even when GM and RAM's offerings are nearly identical), and that the average buyer is about 55 - we are not ALL stuck in our ways, but people that age, as a group, are less likely to consider trying something new and different. Displacing all the trucks with one new Tesla vehicle is just not an option. But that's OK, that's never been the plan. Tesla just needs to steal enough sales to prod the other manufacturers in to making the switch (in fact Musk has been clear that he's OK if Cybertruck volumes are fairly low). Trucks are the US automakers' most-profitable segment of a high-risk, low-margin industry - they are going to be really sensitive to any erosion of market share.

Tesla's design process (speculation, obviously)

So how can Tesla steal share? Most personal buyers go by perceived toughness first and price second (as you can tell by the ads). Most commercial buyers go by price first and utility second. So Tesla needs to offer a truck that is low-priced, but is perceived as tough and offers the utility of existing trucks. Actually, as a new entrant, to make a splash and push the other automakers, it needs to offer more utility and a lower price. And tons of range, especially given that they may be used to tow. But, um - trucks are big and the opposite of aero and carrying large loads over long distances means it needs a LOT of battery - and batteries are not only expensive, but heavy which just adds to the problem. Tesla is starting fresh and can't amortize much yet. How can they meet the goals of a very capable yet inexpensive truck?

They clearly have to reduce the battery requirements. To do that, it has to be more aero than current trucks, and they have to get the weight down. But they can't sacrifice space or capacity, and they need to do this in an inexpensive way. I suspect their first design pivot was the exoskeleton idea. One of the first things Musk noted in the reveal is that the old cab+bed on frame design is unnecessarily heavy; not to mention has a lot of parts and gets in the way of where they want to put the battery.

So now they need to choose an exoskeleton material. Something tough for its weight, and not too expensive. Stainless steel is probably not generally cheap, but Space-X uses a ton of it and Tesla may have a line on lower prices. I don't know any details, but I suspect that picking stainless steel for the exoskeleton material was the second design pivot.

The big problem with stainless steel (so I'm told) is that you can bend it, but you can't stamp it. Here is where Franz probably got really frustrated. This wasn't going to be an attractive, swoopy vehicle. But that's OK - who buys a truck because it's pretty? It's more important to look tough. If all you can do is angles, might as well go all-in on the design theme. Given the angles, perhaps the triangular shape was the most aero; that was probably the third design pivot. Although this may have also had something to do with Musk's personal preferences for a futuristic-looking vehicle, who knows.

That still left them plenty of work to make sure it had a great payload, plenty of towing capacity (with no frame, the sail pillars are needed for rigidity while towing a large load, another design pivot that may contribute to the triangular design), Tesla-like speed, plenty of room and comfort in the cab, etc.

Results - will Tesla get enough share to matter?

So we end up with the Cybertruck. It's about exactly the same size and weight of a Ford Crew Cab short bed (the most popular configuration). Are there disadvantages to this design? Oh, yeah:
  • An awful lot of people (me included) think it's exceptionally unattractive
  • The sail pillars preclude most campers and toppers, fifth-wheel towing, and side-loading
  • The exoskeleton design makes it far harder than cab+bed on frame to make variants, like utility base, single-cab, long-bed, etc
With these drawbacks, this type of truck design will never get near 100% market share. But, that wasn't the goal. What does it have going for it?
  • Class-leading towing
  • Class-leading payload
  • Class-leading body toughness (we'll just ignore the glass issue, which I don't think is really relevant anyway)
  • Class-leading offroad specs (actually abilities TBD)
  • Class-leading acceleration (handling TBD, but I'll bet they lead there too)
  • Class-leading locked storage
  • Class-leading price
  • Class-leading operating costs
What percentage of the market will that attract? It's hard to say. But it should be far above zero, as it looks like they hit a lot of the points that truck buyers base their buying decisions on. And a lot of younger people LOVE the design - my son and his friends are totally blown away and think this is the coolest vehicle they have ever seen. While the $100 refundable reservation isn't a high bar, they already have over 150k reservations, so I think chances are excellent that the Cybertruck will get enough sales that the other automakers will feel the pinch to their profits and have to respond. Besides, look at the specs - isn't that enough to let the other automakers know that, even if they choose a more conventional design, they can build better and cheaper trucks than they are building now if they switch to electric?

Ford and Chevy saw this coming. They don't want to move yet, but they have to. They have both announced that they will have electric trucks available in 2021.

I can't make any conclusion other than Tesla's strategy to make the other automakers move is working.

• Helpful
Reactions: Sean Wagner
I don't think the cybertruck is particularly going after the USA centric big 3 pickup trucks. It fails the most basic requirement which is specific level of body optimization for a desire task. That is to say main permutation between single/super/dual cab, cab chassis and tray lengths.

The customers of so called pickup trucks know exactly what combination of cab and tray they need for their particular duty requirement. Many car buyers would have mental anxiety just dealing with those options.

Globally, Toyota sells https://www.toyota.com.au/landcruiser-70 for the last 45 years, and it is still a very relevant global vehicle. Somehow I can't shake the feeling that Cybertruck is far more relevant to Toyota, Nissan, Land Rover than to Ford, GM or FCA

upload_2019-11-25_10-54-3.png

I've seen a landcrusier scrapped after 2 years due to harsh acidic envionmental factors. Its yet to be demonstrated what flaws cybertruck has that will need to be managed, but the use of stainless steel is a promising development to keep these operational.

Tesla is obsessed with making their vehicles as aerodynamic as possible. And the problem with pickup is they are some of the most unaerodynamic vehicles on the road. They probably set out to make the most aerodynamic truck they could and ended up with a weirdmobile.

I think the Cybertruck’s presentation was very poor and failed to convey all the ways that the design is brilliant. It’s taken me a few days of research and contemplation to understand it.

In time (and remember, it’s two years out from even shipping) this is going to become a hugely influential design. Iconic, even. Other truck makers will have to emulate it. They won’t have any choice; it will be the only way for them to compete. This is what pickup trucks will look like.

I expect that the management at Ford and GM and FCA are laughing and breathing a sigh of relief right now, confident that this “electric weirdmobile” poses no threat to them. Meanwhile, their engineering departments are sweating, wondering when the boss is going to come in and demand that they come up with something to match the Cybertruck’s specs and price but with conventional styling, and then someone is going to have to deliver the bad news that they can’t do it.

“I canna change the laws of physics, Captain!”

Reactions: ChadS