Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla eye tracking: Additive or supplementary?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I may be getting the terms incorrect, so bear with me. My question: Is the eye tracking...

A) Additive to the timed wheel twisting, so now how you have to torque the wheel for time AND for lack of eye visual? Or...

B) Supplementary to the timed wheel torquing, so when the eye tracking sees you watching the road, it will forego the timed wheel torqueing?

Just curious.

Also, I noticed that sometimes, randomly, my M3 will RED ALERT: Suddenly as if I ignored an AP warning to the last minute when in fact there was no warning except for the red alert. Once I clear the warning, it'll kick me out of AP for the drive. It happens about once every other month usually on a road trip. So annoying. Does this happen to anyone else?

The answer is both. Camera is used to make certain you are maintaining attention to driving and the hand nag is to make sure your participating in the safety of driving/monitoring. Both running constantly. My guess (only a guess based on my use over a year) is that due to many media and publications focusing on autonomous function Tesla opted to dial up the sensitivity of both to increase participation And deter some of the creative individuals finding ways to bypass the safety devices. Many video clowns on YouTube helped create this new pain. (Similar to rolling stops). My opinion (nothing more) is that many have adapted to the Old safety system which never cared much and now are surprised by the big brother vigilante monitoring currently set. I know I personally used to sneak a peak at my cell text or play with the radio (bad habit) but those are things on the no no list now. Just adapting to the new monitoring over the last upgrade I have not had a single strike. Just had to conform a bit more to the rules.

The answer is both. Camera is used to make certain you are maintaining attention to driving and the hand nag is to make sure your participating in the safety of driving/monitoring. Both running constantly. My guess (only a guess based on my use over a year) is that due to many media and publications focusing on autonomous function Tesla opted to dial up the sensitivity of both to increase participation And deter some of the creative individuals finding ways to bypass the safety devices. Many video clowns on YouTube helped create this new pain. (Similar to rolling stops). My opinion (nothing more) is that many have adapted to the Old safety system which never cared much and now are surprised by the big brother vigilante monitoring currently set. I know I personally used to sneak a peak at my cell text or play with the radio (bad habit) but those are things on the no no list now. Just adapting to the new monitoring over the last upgrade I have not had a single strike. Just had to conform a bit more to the rules.
I gotcha. ...and I get there are idiots online that ruin it for all of us. That's true with everything. ...but what I don't get logically is that if AP is better than human drivers, why shut it down if it senses you're distracted? Wouldn't AP be better than driving inattentively? I'm sure the answer is combination of government rules and Tesla liability... but still...

I gotcha. ...and I get there are idiots online that ruin it for all of us. That's true with everything. ...but what I don't get logically is that if AP is better than human drivers, why shut it down if it senses you're distracted? Wouldn't AP be better than driving inattentively? I'm sure the answer is combination of government rules and Tesla liability... but still...

Because AP isn't better than human drivers. Also, everything you mentioned. If you shut off AP immediately before an accident you can claim "no crashes" on AP.

my M3 will RED ALERT: Suddenly as if I ignored an AP warning to the last minute when in fact there was no warning except for the red alert. Once I clear the warning, it'll kick me out of AP for the drive. It happens about once every other month usually on a road trip. So annoying. Does this happen to anyone else?
That happened to me while I had a loaner 2017 Model S.
I find it highly amusing that I could simply put in ear plugs, crank the music up to drown out the damn beeping, and hold the throttle down to maintain speed, while AP kept steering while RED ALERT screaming at me 🤣
No more tugging the wheel, drove like that for another 45 miles!

Also, shifting to park then drive again, will restore your AP. (I also used Power Off and gave it 10 seconds of black, not sure if that was necessary.)

Last edited:

im not sure if EU spec teslas have the same nag time now as USA Teslas. Certainly back in 2019 USA teslas would get like half as many nags as EU spec teslas.