Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla For Kids

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We have Model 3's reserved for both of our kids. However, as soon as Tesla updates the S, I'll be ordering a new one. Given that, I'm thinking about giving my oldest son my 2013 S. Anyone know of a way to limit the speed, besides valet mode? We also need to somehow be able to log in to see where the kids are without them having the ability to control our cars, without logging in and out of our apps. Anyone else have kids with a Tesla? If so, what have you done?

Ummm...

1) I'd hate to see the insurance bill on that.
2) Are you sure you want to give a 16 year old a Tesla as their primary driver?!?!
3) Not getting too deep into parenting advice here, but starting a kid out with any car above a starter car is crazy. That is, unless, they've earned some cash at their first job to buy the Tesla from you.
4) May I suggest a $5,000 used Chevy Cruze or Toyota Corolla with a $10/month T-mobile SyncUp Drive to see where/how fast they're driving.

But, to answer your question, no, there are no ways to limit the car outside of valet mode.

Ummm...

1) I'd hate to see the insurance bill on that.
2) Are you sure you want to give a 16 year old a Tesla as their primary driver?!?!
3) Not getting too deep into parenting advice here, but starting a kid out with any car above a starter car is crazy. That is, unless, they've earned some cash at their first job to buy the Tesla from you.
4) May I suggest a $5,000 used Chevy Cruze or Toyota Corolla with a $10/month T-mobile SyncUp Drive to see where/how fast they're driving.

But, to answer your question, no, there are no ways to limit the car outside of valet mode.
Wow for not getting "too deep into parenting advice" you sure threw in your two cents.

We gave our children vehicles for their safety as sharing a ride cost my cousin's family the life of a teen son when the car was chased by police and rolled with four lives lost. My cousin's boy was a passenger in the back seat. Most of all we trusted our kids to act responsibly when driving and they met our expectations. We preferred that they be in control of a vehicle.

They now have kids of their own who are starting to take driving lessons and the same expectations are in place.

If a teen is mature enough it's not a problem to provide a vehicle but parents have to make that assessment.

i wish you were my parent. a brand new model 3 as a teenager damn. haha.

To answer your question, no go on any sort of limitations to the function of the vehicle besides valet mode. You could maintain the password to the tesla app for the vehicles to keep track of the car's GPS if you'd like as well.