Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla for Uber/Evee/etc

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My usual hours are OK money. Getting better, but not great.

Graveyards are fantastic money, but as I mentioned in an earlier reply, Wollongong 5am-8am is also pretty good. Aged care nurses are often unwilling to drive on Australian roads, and there's no public transport for them. They're often late for work as there just aren't any uber cars to get them to work either. Anyway, if I feel rested enough after a power nap after the graveyard, I'll do another few hours to get them around, and then sleep all day.

Last weekend was a tiny bit better than usual:

Thursday night in Wollongong (on my way to Sydney): 2h18m. 4 trips. Earnings were $81
Friday night/graveyard in Sydney (mostly Sutho Shire): 7h55m. 21 trips. Earnings were $441
Saturday night in Wollongong (on my way home): 5h19m. 9 trips. Earnings were $336

Earnings include commission and a whopping $14 in tips. You need to subtract GST from earnings (so dock 1/11th of the earnings, but re-add any GST you paid on legitimate expenses). You also need to subtract on-road expenses such as car payments, tyres, charging, and the 55 cent barf bag that a rider soiled late Saturday night in Wollongong. That was barf #6 in 24½ months - so that's a really good run in the Tesla, especially since only 1/6 required any actual in-car cleaning. The same sort of graveyard hours earned me three barfs a month in my old Toyota. I still buy the barf bags in bulk and leave them in the door bins, the centre console, plus spares in the boot. You also need to keep some cash aside for income tax at the end of the financial year - though if your accountant is any good at all, your expenses plus depreciation (at the business use percentage, over a six year writeoff for a luxury car used for rideshare) will offset most of that.

Times don't include breaks, charging time, or time spent getting to the charger (though I usually charge after 4-5 hours if a ride lands me near enough to a charger - even though I could get 6 hours to a charge in my SR+ if I pushed it).

Thankfully rapid Charging isn't much of a time-waster these days. Thursday night's charge time coincided with watching Tesla Tom's Youtube stream. Friday afternoon's charging coincided with shopping. Friday night was my only real time-waster of the week, and that was just half an hour at the Kirrawee Supercharger at 11:30pm. Saturday afternoon's charging was while getting lunch at Cabramatta while running unrelated errands. Saturday night's charging was an hour while I was at the gym at Wollongong's Innovation Campus, and then a 4 hour (oops!) power nap at Berry after I signed out, while I was driving home. At least I woke up after I charged, to unplug the car and move out of the charging bay! And the scenic route home via Nerriga is beautiful, if a bit flood-damaged.

Last edited:
They've cut off the non-splend commission discounts to new entrants (must be above the 2500 by now) and launched Uber Green this morning.

As the fares are identical to UberX and they aren't even offering any promos to switch it on, I've switched it off. I don't want to drive the extra deadmiles to reach a pick-up.
Screenshot_20230608_153748_Uber Driver.jpg

They've cut off the non-splend commission discounts to new entrants (must be above the 2500 by now) and launched Uber Green this morning.

As the fares are identical to UberX and they aren't even offering any promos to switch it on, I've switched it off. I don't want to drive the extra deadmiles to reach a pick-up.
I guess I don't understand Uber from a drivers perspective but would not having both UberX and Uber Green ticked give you a greater selection of fares to choose from? If the pick-up point is too far away do you simply not choose to take that fare? Or are you given specific fares or penalised for not taking a fare?

I guess I don't understand Uber from a drivers perspective but would not having both UberX and Uber Green ticked give you a greater selection of fares to choose from? If the pick-up point is too far away do you simply not choose to take that fare? Or are you given specific fares or penalised for not taking a fare?
We get penalised if our acceptance rate drops below 85% or if our cancellation rate rises above 3%. Basically they stop giving us useful info on the trip they're offering us.

While I normally accept everything they offer, that changes if I'm getting low on charge. I need to know the trip's direction and duration, so I know I'm not going to land somewhere with no charging options at the end of that trip.

Range anxiety is still a thing when you couple an obsolete 50kWh SR+ with Uber's disgusting surprise trip business model.

Especially when I mostly drive late at night & live in Canberra where most roads are 80km/h+ & there's almost no public rapid charging here & battery consumption goes way up in the cold. The ACT has a long history of talking the talk while not walking the walk. There's no rapid charging in Belconnen or Gungahlin or North Canberra (including Civic), nor in Queanbeyan. There's one rapid charger in Woden, there's two options out at the airport, and two options in Tuggeranong, and there's the Hotel Realm, and that's it.

While I also operate in Sydney (where the same charge gets me further) there are still some huge gaps in DC charging options there. Sutho Shire only just got an overnight charger last week. The Peninsula has no overnight charging north of Northbridge or Balgowlah (not counting Jolt anyway). St George is a tad iffy between Marrickville and Caringbah. And I really, really don't want to get stuck in Helensburgh (which is a risk when you operate near Engadine late at night)!