Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla for Uber/Evee/etc

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm looking at the economics of using a Tesla for Uber/Evee - particularly with reduced operating costs (maintenance/electricity) and even lower fees offered by Uber.

Is there anyone who does this who can offer some ballpark figures based on real world experience? This is in Hobart although I don't expect location would make that much of a difference.

I'm counting insurance and registration separately since those are fixed costs.

In both cases I'm not asking about tax since that will be different for everyone (whether it's a full time thing, side hustle, how the car is leased/financed, etc).

For Uber:
  • What's the typical take-home amount per hour operating (taking things like fees, maintenance and electricity* into account since those costs scale with usage) as well as things like cleaning?
(*I know electricity can vary, but just use whatever mix of home charging/fast charging you use.)

For Evee:
  • What's the typical take-home amount per day rented (taking things like fees, maintenance into account)? Based on a rental rate of (for example) $150/day.
  • For a car that is available full time, how many days per month would you count as "fully booked", given there would be some expected downtime?

I think one of TeslaTom's subscriber is a Tesla uber driver. If you're free, maybe just tune in on Thursday 9PM (Sydney time) and ask the question - or even get his personal contact, his name escapes me for the moment, unfortunately.

Reactions: Chuq
I think one of TeslaTom's subscriber is a Tesla uber driver. If you're free, maybe just tune in on Thursday 9PM (Sydney time) and ask the question - or even get his personal contact, his name escapes me for the moment, unfortunately.
Funnily enough I think I know who you mean, I think he’s a member here but uses different names so didn’t want to dox him by tagging :)

• Funny
Reactions: rx80
Yeah, that'd be me.

You need to look into what Uber drivers make in your city. We can't help with that. Takings vary wildly based on time of day, day of week, weather, lockdown rules, locale etc. I do most of my driving in Wollongong while passing between Canberra and Sydney. Earnings there are kinda weak, but it's less stressful than Sydney roads, Sydney traffic.

Here's a brain dump, in no particular order.

In Wollongong my gross takings are next to nothing most of the day mid-week, or about $35/hr on busier hours Friday/Saturday afternoons through til graveyards, and about $50/hr Saturday/Sunday pre-dawn through to 9am (the hours you get the least credit points towards the Uber Pro petrol discounts!).

Nurse changeover hours are huge. Many nurses are from overseas, don't feel comfortable driving on our roads, and don't have parking at work anyway (especially nursing home nurses, hospital staff parking isn't so bad). So try to avoid being on long charging cycles around 6-8am, 3-5pm and 9-11pm when they're desperately waiting for a ride. I'm constantly getting them to work late as the drivers just aren't on the road.

A full charge on my (50kWh) SR+ costs me $6 at home (not that I live there), or $15 at Shell Cove, which represents about 340km. But that's a NCA battery. The LFP models have larger batteries, lower efficiency, but higher mileage. It'll change things a little, but not that much. My 340km represents 6 hours of driving. Usually I'll charge after 4-5 hours though. I had to cancel a run from Thirroul to Sydney Airport the weekend before the Kirrawee Supercharger opened, as I was at 19%.

These takings are slightly inflated as Uber currently gives us a rebate half of their commission, until at least the end of June, as an incentive to get more ZEVs in their fleet, prior to going full ZEV by 2040. They'll probably keep some sort of rebate going, but I doubt it'll be as lucrative.

Cleaning isn't a huge concern. I use the brush washes at 2 for $20-25 at various servos in the areas I drive. On average it's every other day. My paint is holding up really well.

In my old Yaris I'd have three riders a month vomit, one of which required an interior cleanup, and a few of those needed attention from the early morning auto detailers at Warilla (thank goodness for 7am cleaning!). One of the cleanups was from someone who had a literal hard-rimmed barf bag just 50cm in front of her face in a clear plastic pouch behind my headrest, and still managed to barf all over the back of my car. Meanwhile, in 22 months, in my Model 3, I've had four vomits, one of which required an interior cleanup. Even when you shove a barf bag in someone's face when they're clearly iffy (you get very aware of such things as an Uber driver) the Tesla doesn't set them off. And if they're borderline, you can do a stately slow drive really easily.

I've got mine on 7 years consumer finance, and I'm quite sure it'll last much longer than that. You get most of your GST credited back, depending on business use percentage, up to the LCT threshold) on your first BAS - which is fantastic. Whatever you do, do NOT let your accountant write the car off as an instant asset write-off. Use the standard depreciation method over 6 years (the standard timeframe for a luxury car in a taxi/rideshare). Instant write-off really comes back to bite you if you resell the car or write it off, as you have to pay full income tax on the takings! And all the instant writeoff will do is sit as a credit against your small business revenue for 4 years, or until your business takings eventually outweigh the writeoff (they won't, it's Uber, the earnings are trivial, and the writeoffs are enormous).

Just got to rotate tyres every 10,000km, replace them every 30-40,000km (about $140-$300 per tyre, my favourites are the Toyo Proxes C100 at $200ea) (in Wollongong I'll average 40-50km per hour online, as there are a lot of 80km/h roads). Flush the brake fluid every 2 years (about $190 I think - I'll get it done next month). Swap the cabin air filters every 6 months ($60 for a pair in the Tesla app). Use medical alcohol wipes on the wiper blades and swap the blades every year ($70 for a pair in the Tesla app).

Thanks @QBN_PC, that's great info!

I've chatted with another Uber driver who has said they often get $35/hr but generally a minimum of $25/hr, so I'll set my expectations to the lower number. It sounds like you're generally doing it full time - I'll be doing it as a side hustle to my day job. From a financial perspective it will be a personal vehicle with secondary use as rideshare.

I'm thinking maybe 20 hours/fortnight, mostly evenings and weekends, not generally late at night unless there is a specific event that creates higher demand.

The geography of Hobart is such that there are half a dozen satellite towns about 40 km out of the city which is about the extent of taxi traffic. Relatively short distance compared to the car's range, and a few fast chargers at the moment, with plenty more coming due to the ARENA fast charger grants. The other cities in the state are far enough away that people don't use taxis, so not stressed about range.

My (long term) plan is to generate enough income with Uber to support financing another vehicle at which point I put them both on Evee, and when one is booked I block out the other and use it for private use/Uber. That's very pie in the sky at the moment though! (and of course will involve talking to an accountant etc. to make sure it's all done properly)

I only drive two graveyards a week. Though now I'm leaning more towards early mornings than late nights.

Sometimes I'll drive a few weekdays, but that's fairly rare. Largely because it's pointless to even try, both where I live, and where I usually travel.

And don't get me started about how novel it can be to drive rideshare in totally random places. I've been bored in places like Dubbo, Orange and Wagga. Signed in for a few hours. Nice chats. Learn new areas. Earn a few bucks. I'll also extend my holiday travel to match check-in times, while still getting a significant distance towards my destination at night (sunburn issues & less waiting at chargers). So sometimes I'll burn my pre-midnight destination filters to reach the Central Coast, and my post-midnight destination filters to get to Wallsend, while headed to Moree. Not much business, but not zero either. Well, except that one time in Tamworth where not a single ride request came through while I was charging.

And remember, personal usage vs business usage is by kilometres, not by intent. Compare the kms you drive for rideshare (including positioning movements and trips to/from charging) vs the kms you drive for personal use, over x weeks, where you do as close to your typical driving habit as reasonably possible. You fill out the kilometres in an ATO-compliant logbook. Work out your business use percentage, and multiply that percentage on your tax returns against all car-related expenses, depreciation and the like. (A reasonable guesstimate is fine at BAS time to get the credit back for your upfront GST outlay - if you're eligible for that - as in you bought the vehicle recently).

Oh, speaking of outlays, look into what your car insurance costs are going to be. I'm told Evee's insurance plan covers rideshare use, but I won't find that out til I move to Canberra-proper and start offering my car on Evee. I'm currently on NRMA insurance, which charges me a little extra for rideshare coverage (about $300/yr if memory serves), a little more for glass coverage, and a little more again for choice of repairer (which speeds up repair turnarounds significantly, or so I've heard on a certain podcast recently).

• Informative
Reactions: Chuq and Hairyman
Oh no, a car I couldn’t have otherwise bought is depreciating! Heavens be! Wouldn’t it be awful to have to add massive depreciation tax deductions to your tax return?

And it’s resale value must be plummeting! Sure, I have no intention of selling it, and all that talk about how resale values are holding up pretty well must all be made up. But oh no, it’s horrible!

I set myself a floor on Uber earnings. Every week I stay signed in til I pass $500ish in gross takings. That covers the car loan, charging, consumables, on-road meals, and a few bucks for my time. Usually I’ll remain online til $700ish, which adds a bit of gravy. Occasionally I’ll go higher, but I’m not going to knock myself out.

You’re crazy! Using your Tesla for ridesharing is huge mistake. The money you will make is just not worth it at the end of the day. Maybe 5 years ago when ridesharing was king for drivers - now you’ll make less than minimum wage while you depreciate your car at an excessive rate.

There are much better ways to make money.
I notice you're in the USA, so maybe the economics are different there. @QBN_PC has actual experience of how it works in semi-regional Australia.

I would just be driving the car around for fun anyway. That's still going to cause it to depreciate, use tyres, etc. Might as well get paid for it, and get to answer all the questions about EVs/Teslas that will result - the kind of things I do online anyway!

Might as well get paid for it, and get to answer all the questions about EVs/Teslas that will result - the kind of things I do online anyway!
Bingo.

This last weekend I carried about 70 people on 43 distinct rides. 5 of them were repeat riders, leaving about 65 people who got to experience something between neutral and awesome. Over half of them ask questions, and I’ll give them reasonable answers. Even if they’re unfavourable, I’ll be honest regardless.

I always leave the rest of my riders alone (though if I think a brief hit of throttle is worthwhile, they’ll get that).

You can preach to the choir, and fanboy to everyone else online, if you want. But nothing beats interacting with normies who are in the midst of a first in a lifetime experience.

Especially when they hear things like “about $60k”, “almost no servicing”, “about $6 for 340km if I charge overnight on off peak rates”, “charge at home, takes 10 seconds to plug in, never visit a servo again - unless you want a slurpee!”, “I’ve taken this car to Moree four times already, three charging stops, each less than an hour”, “the car needs a break from driving about as often as its driver does”, “about six hours of suburban driving, at 15% an hour (pointing to battery gauge), though I charge after four or five hours”, and my favourite “and this is just the base model!”

There’s also the rare case (once every 1-2 months) where a rider mentions the environment. Typically a woman in her 20s. The most important line there is “sure, there’s that, but there are so many other good reasons”. I consider that one an investment in the mental health of the people around her.

I carry a lot of tradies. I’ll tell them about how EV utes like the Cybertruck can supply 240 volts off the main battery “so you won’t have to suck down generator fumes on site”. And maybe stick in a “and if you take the missus camping, she can run her hairdryer!” if a playful jab is warranted.

And there are a lot of coal miners where I drive. Two lines to get them aboard is “Coking or thermal?” followed by something about job security. And if they’re aghast about expecting a greenie attitude from me (LOL!), I’ll tell them I do almost all my charging at night. And later on I can try out something about how things can change when workplaces and shopping centres are covered in solar panels and have EV chargers at every car space. And then after you drive home, imagine plugging in your car and using the car park company’s power to run your home! Everyone loves to find ways to stick it to the man.

Sometimes I’ll voice navigate the car to the road trip destination of their choice and point out how long they’ll need to spend at chargers along the way. “That’s just the minimum needed to reach the next charger with 20% up your sleeve for side trips or headwinds”. They can generally relate to all of the intermediate places that flash up on the map to places they stop to eat or stretch anyway.

Sure, all this stuff can be gone over in theory. But actually being in the passengers seat makes it more real.

For me it’s my way to get the tism to work for me. It steers conversations away from the weather and towards stuff I can care about and can speak to honestly. And that I don’t get tongue tied over.

I can tell you here in the Houston market, in 2020 using Uber and Lyft I would average gross $18.00 to $22.00. My average per mile was 60 to 80 cents a mile. I think this is a very important number because this is what you need to base tire purchase and charging prices. Most of my driving time was early morning. I would usually drive for 10 to 15 hours. I found that if I sleep in and get a later start, the money would be a bit more later in the evening. I never really tried to chase the late money due to not wanting to take drunks home. I would run both apps so to maximize the chance of picking up rides. If one wasn't hitting on much, I'd open the both app, close the app that I was not using. This also helped your driving time since you wasn't driving the whole day on one platform. I would always like to start in a section of town that didn't have publics transportation. As the afternoon would progress, each app would have hot spots that you drive to. They would provide bonus money just by driving to these spots. Sometimes it could be up to $17.00. Pro tip. Keep app off until you arrive to that location. Second pro tip, once you pick up your fare, always turn off app noted as last ride. This gives you time to drive back or to another bonus area. Another way to chase some easy money is giving so many rides would give you extra bonus. So, if you get 10, 20 or 50 rides in that bonus week, you could make extra money up to sometimes $200.00. My main reason to purchase our Y was to use it as a rental business (Turo, ect.) What the rideshare would help with is several times a renter of the Y would start in the back seat. I know this is not the market you are interested in but I hope I was able to offer some ideas in your quest. Have fun, stay safe. One of the our blessings living in Texas is we never left home without Sig.

Uber is feeling the sting of record-high petrol prices and will roll out a temporary fuel surcharge on all trips in Australia.
In a statement, Uber Australia's Head of Driver Operations and Marketplace Emma Foley said the surcharge would be calculated per-kilometre and would last for 60 days.
Riders can expect to pay an extra 0.50c on an average trip, with drivers collecting 100 per cent of the surcharge.

Any thoughts as to how this will impact Uber driver using EVs?

Will the surcharge not apply?

Will Uber finally implement UberGreen (or whatever it's called overseas) where riders can opt for an EV?

Or... will it be free money for the EV driver? :)

Any thoughts as to how this will impact Uber driver using EVs?

Will the surcharge not apply?

Will Uber finally implement UberGreen (or whatever it's called overseas) where riders can opt for an EV?

Or... will it be free money for the EV driver? :)
I believe it’s opt-out free money. I’ll find out this weekend I suppose.

• Informative
Reactions: Chuq
So many people complaining about their cost for petrol. I just tell them mine costs $4.15….for the full ‘tank’. A significant number of people I know are now looking seriously at going ev. At least something positive might come out of the crazy horrible issues in Russia/Ukraine.

I believe it’s opt-out free money. I’ll find out this weekend I suppose.
There’s no obvious way to opt out. But I got the fuel surcharge in the Tesla earlier.
4FBFE850-C8B9-4B54-8E46-64E24AD08F32.png

E95503AD-D3F3-4C48-BD19-5FF08463D7AD.png

I can confirm that you get the fuel surcharge here in the US too. You even get a $1 per ride zero emissions incentive (not sure how long it will be for or if it's everywhere).

I drive for a bit of fun and I made about $33/hour in the early evening Friday sticking to nice neighborhoods in the Bay Area. I think if you were to do it full time, you'd quickly figure out the best times and places. You'd also get the bonuses for doing lots of rides, which comes out to something like $300/week. I also don't have enough rides to qualify for the Uber luxury rides either, which certainly will increase things further. I think it's entirely possible to get $45/hour or more on average here in the Bay Area.

Overall, I think it's a good way to makea few extra bucks if you like driving. You might as well get paid while doing it.

• Informative
Reactions: UncaNed