Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla gen 3 charger - single phase vs 3 phase for Model 3 RWD (2023 model)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi
I placed a June order for M3 RWD. Been 5 months so far and wouldn't surprise me if it's another 5 months away yet. Tesla are telling me around March but who knows.

To prepare, I'm booking in Gen 3 for install in late February. Now, our house DOES have 3 phase power (my 15kw solar runs on 3 phase). I was going to get the Gen 3 installed on 3 phase as it produces 11kw charging, however the RWD is only capable of 7.7kw charging anyway.

So is there any point whatsoever of still getting it installed on 3 phase (given I already have 3 phase) or for RWD is it just as good to install on Single Phase and charge at 7kw.

Thanks

Depends on your priorities. I'd say go for 3 phase if the cost of install is around the same.

You could, however, get away with a 32A outlet and UMC/32A tail setup which could end up cheaper and still give you a 7kw charge rate

Cost, charge speed, future proofing, wall connector look vs UMC, old vs new gen wall connector are the factors in play.

I just plug UMC into 10A as I don't drive more than 80km a day therefore I'm easily covered by an 8 hour overnight charge

Hi
I placed a June order for M3 RWD. Been 5 months so far and wouldn't surprise me if it's another 5 months away yet. Tesla are telling me around March but who knows.

To prepare, I'm booking in Gen 3 for install in late February. Now, our house DOES have 3 phase power (my 15kw solar runs on 3 phase). I was going to get the Gen 3 installed on 3 phase as it produces 11kw charging, however the RWD is only capable of 7.7kw charging anyway.

So is there any point whatsoever of still getting it installed on 3 phase (given I already have 3 phase) or for RWD is it just as good to install on Single Phase and charge at 7kw.

Thanks
AFAIK all Australian Model 3 on board chargers are still 11KW. On three phase it will use one of the three 16A chargers modules on each phase, i.e. three off those in parallel. On single phase it will use two of the three 16A charger modules in series to give a total of 32A and around 7KW.
The only benefit in requesting the gen 3 charger to be installed on a single phase is that you can charge at a lower rate. If installed as 3 phase the minimum rate is 5A on each of the three phases or around 3.7KW. If installed as single phase it is 5A on the one phase or about 1.2KW. The only benefit I can see for this is if you are trying to track solar usage on a smaller system or deep into winter.

• Helpful
Reactions: Maximillan
So what does this mean exactly:

All Teslas in 2022 have an 11.5 kW onboard charger, except the Model 3 Rear-Wheel Drive RWD), which has a 7.7 kW onboard charger.

So I could still charge with 11kw 3 phase, but it would only charge 7.7kw max? Or am I misreading this?

So I guess 3 phase for RWD is still worth it.
Yep, if you've already got 3 phase and it doesnt cost much or any difference from single to 3, just get 3
So what is it about LR charging quicker than RWD
Fast DC charging
RWD has max of 170kw , in reality tops out at about 150

LR and P can do up to 250kw
All Teslas in 2022 have an 11.5 kW onboard charger, except the Model 3 Rear-Wheel Drive RWD), which has a 7.7 kW onboard charger.
Where does this come from? It's 100% false

The M3 and My RWD can and do charge at 11kw on 3 phase AC chargers.

Pretty sure it's not wrong. All 2022 reviews in Australia say LR gets 11.5kw on board charger....RWD gets 7.7kw
Mate im telling you, it's wrong and the "reviews" you're reading are wrong. Tesla's own website also says they are wrong

I literally charge at 11kW every single day

Mate im telling you, it's wrong.

I literally charge at 11kW every single day
It will obviously still charge on 11kw...but it will only deliver 7.7kw max.
Just read 5 separate reviews (in Australia) which say the RWD has a 7.7kw onboard charger. Did a search on Facebook Tesla groups too and various RWD 2022 owners have said it comes with a 7.7kw on board charger.
So I don't know what to believe. You seem pretty confident so happy to take your word, lots of incorrect reviews/details out there though if thats the case.
Fast DC charging
RWD has max of 170kw , in reality tops out at about 150
Ok thanks

Australia. Haven't seen anywhere that states 2022 models get 11kw onboard charger (for RWD). All reviews say 7.7kw....

Reading the details of the article it is all in reference to the American model 3. Take the price for example "The 2022 Tesla Model 3 is available in three trim levels. The base model, simply called Model 3, is rear-wheel drive and starts at $44,990" and all the imagery is of Left Hand Drive vehicles.