Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Glass Roof Shade Installed (Model 3)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't think that roof contributes a ton to the total heat. I have had my interior temp up to 130+ on a few sunny days this spring but after putting a reflective screen in the front windshield with nothing extra on the pano roof the car only hit 101.

Today the car was reading 124 interior temp with the glass shade and my high quality windshield reflective screen. It's just hot here. Car was reading an exterior temp of 102 when I got in.

Subjectively, the shade does help reduce the glare from the sun and some of the heat on the top of my head. It also shades the black seats keeping them from getting super hot. Previously the black seats were uncomfortable even through my pants. If I was wearing shorts it would be painful.

Does Model 3 have Cabin Overheat Protection? My X will keep the interior temp to something around 114F when enabled. Worked fine last summer. The trouble is that it wouldn't let the car sleep at any time. I'll be watching it more carefully this summer.

Got my glass roof shade in today. It fits very well once you get all the corners and clips up. Comes with a nice bag for storage during the winter.

Never felt the need for this in my S, but I had the pano roof that I could vent during the day plus overheat protection so it didn't seem to get as hot as my 3. Hoping this helps reduce some of the heat load. (I do have 3M 70 Crystalline on the windows plus roof as well).

Here is what it looks like. Doesn't noticeably reduce the headroom.

View attachment 299556 View attachment 299557

Will report back after a few hot days and see if it seems to help.

Please post a link for this shade. Thanks!

I don't think that roof contributes a ton to the total heat. I have had my interior temp up to 130+ on a few sunny days this spring but after putting a reflective screen in the front windshield with nothing extra on the pano roof the car only hit 101.

Ya I think a windshield shade is the best was to reduce the heat in the car. The pano window tint probably blocks out most of the suns heat. I know good ceramic tint can block like 85% of the heat.

I got mine last week and it definitely makes a difference. I was worried about reducing headroom, but it's negligible, maybe only like 1/2-inch less. I'll probably not remove it until the fall or winter, if I even remember it's there. Way too expense for what it is and really should have been included as part of the premium upgrade.

Now that we're getting well into summer, I've been able to see what it's been like with and without the shade. Without it, the top of my head starts to get uncomfortable during a longer drive with the sun overhead. With it, it's a huge difference. The shade still lets enough light through that you don't feel like you're in a regular hard-top car, but it's more comfortable. I haven't done any comparisons parked in the sun, but I already can tell it would hotter without it. I still think this should have been included as part of the PUP.

Reactions: MissyMcBee
Got my glass roof shade in today. It fits very well once you get all the corners and clips up. Comes with a nice bag for storage during the winter.

Never felt the need for this in my S, but I had the pano roof that I could vent during the day plus overheat protection so it didn't seem to get as hot as my 3. Hoping this helps reduce some of the heat load. (I do have 3M 70 Crystalline on the windows plus roof as well).

Does anyone know of a Model 3 solid shield for the sunroof? Looking for one that blocks the sun completely.

Does anyone know of any cheap aftermarket options for both windows. I know I know. Im cheap as hell but I can't see justifying $165 for these. I also live in SF and it doesn't get too hot so its not high on my priority list.

What about road noise? Any impressions?