Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Glass Roof Shade Installed (Model 3)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Az_Rael

Supporting Member
Jan 26, 2016
Palmdale, CA
Got my glass roof shade in today. It fits very well once you get all the corners and clips up. Comes with a nice bag for storage during the winter.

Never felt the need for this in my S, but I had the pano roof that I could vent during the day plus overheat protection so it didn't seem to get as hot as my 3. Hoping this helps reduce some of the heat load. (I do have 3M 70 Crystalline on the windows plus roof as well).

Here is what it looks like. Doesn't noticeably reduce the headroom.

20180507_192532.jpg
20180507_192527.jpg

Will report back after a few hot days and see if it seems to help.

Got my glass roof shade in today. It fits very well once you get all the corners and clips up. Comes with a nice bag for storage during the winter.

Never felt the need for this in my S, but I had the pano roof that I could vent during the day plus overheat protection so it didn't seem to get as hot as my 3. Hoping this helps reduce some of the heat load. (I do have 3M 70 Crystalline on the windows plus roof as well).

View attachment 299556 View attachment 299557

I've had mine a week - seems to make an appreciable difference heat wise. Anecdotally. Not cheap, but a good buy.

Reactions: Az_Rael
Hard to say. The glass roof is already really dark, so I had debated not tinting it at all originally. Depends on how much additional heat rejection you get with the darker films.
Even with the tint, you felt that the roof was getting hot? Is the shade just a precautionary measure or was it getting hot enough where you needed it?

We haven't had any real hot days here in N. cal just yet, so can't tell whether I would need to tint the roof.

Even with the tint, you felt that the roof was getting hot? Is the shade just a precautionary measure or was it getting hot enough where you needed it?

We haven't had any real hot days here in N. cal just yet, so can't tell whether I would need to tint the roof.

Roof getting hot. Car is reaching 123 degrees F in mid 80s weather with noticeable heat from the roof once getting in. I have no idea how much worse it will get once summer is really here.

I can’t always precondition due to poor cell service in my work parking lot

• Love
Reactions: lemketron

View attachment 299556 View attachment 299557

Hey don't go flaunting your alcantara headliner! :p

Been keeping an eye on the car temps as the day has gone on. Previously the car was in the parking lot with no windshield shade and windows rolled up and the app reported 123F on a 85 degree day.

Today I noted the following temps from the app with the car in the same condition except install of the glass shade:

Time Car temp Outside temp
10:40AM: 133F(!) 74F
11:40AM: 118F 74F (I noticed the temperature was actively dropping at this time, oddly)
11:41AM: 112F 74F

My husband then took the car to lunch and put up the windshield shade when he was done. No window venting, glass shade still in place:
Time Car temp Outside temp
12:57PM: 113F 88F
1:10PM: 116F 89F
1:22PM: 112F 89F
3:06PM: 113F 94F

I now suspect there is some amount of cabin overheat going on. I do often find my car in a state of "deep sleep" where the screen takes about 1 minute to fire up, during which I have no A/C or anything while I wait. So I wonder if the 133F measurement happened during a deep sleep period and once I woke it up with the app, it fired up the fans or something. The app never indicated the fans were running on the Climate screen.

So, all this to say I have no idea if the shade is helping or not. :)

Here is the high temp screenshot:
Screenshot_20180508-104045_Tesla.jpg

I got mine last week and it definitely makes a difference. I was worried about reducing headroom, but it's negligible, maybe only like 1/2-inch less. I'll probably not remove it until the fall or winter, if I even remember it's there. Way too expense for what it is and really should have been included as part of the premium upgrade.

I got mine last week and it definitely makes a difference. I was worried about reducing headroom, but it's negligible, maybe only like 1/2-inch less. I'll probably not remove it until the fall or winter, if I even remember it's there. Way too expense for what it is and really should have been included as part of the premium upgrade.

Do you have tinted windows as well?

By the way, thank you Tesla for turning the air conditioner on as soon as I touch the door!

I have been using pre conditioning effectively as I walk to the car, but if I forget, it's easy to overlook the genius of that the air starts before I have to get in....
Hi - I noticed the link in your signature about the paint protection and the tinting - have you had your paint protected yet? If so, did you go with the full 360? or the partial? I assume you paid the higher pricing until the 20th member purchases. How far from 20 members? I am interested for sure...and live nearby Concours...!

Hi - I noticed the link in your signature about the paint protection and the tinting - have you had your paint protected yet? If so, did you go with the full 360? or the partial? I assume you paid the higher pricing until the 20th member purchases. How far from 20 members? I am interested for sure...and live nearby Concours...!

@insaneoctane - I should have also asked if you chose the Suntek Ultra PPF or the Modesta Ceramic coating - or did you opt for both? Thanks!