TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Tesla Glass Roof Shade Installed (Model 3)

Discussion in 'Model 3: Interior & Exterior' started by Az_Rael, May 7, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Az_Rael

Az_Rael Supporting Member

Got my glass roof shade in today. It fits very well once you get all the corners and clips up. Comes with a nice bag for storage during the winter.

Never felt the need for this in my S, but I had the pano roof that I could vent during the day plus overheat protection so it didn't seem to get as hot as my 3. Hoping this helps reduce some of the heat load. (I do have 3M 70 Crystalline on the windows plus roof as well).

Here is what it looks like. Doesn't noticeably reduce the headroom.

20180507_192532.jpg 20180507_192527.jpg

Will report back after a few hot days and see if it seems to help.

• Informative x 4
  2. Redwood

Redwood Member

If you were to do it over again, would you have used 3M Crystalline a shade or two darker on the pano roof, perhaps 60 or 50? Thanks

3. rhaekar

rhaekar Member

It's been working great for me. I didn't want to tint the pano because I like to see out the roof at night or when it's not really hot. The shade folds up and stores easily.

4. CuriousM3

CuriousM3 Member

Interested in the follow up as it does get pretty hot for me with that glass roof

5. Az_Rael

Hard to say. The glass roof is already really dark, so I had debated not tinting it at all originally. Depends on how much additional heat rejection you get with the darker films.

6. MacGreiner

I've had mine a week - seems to make an appreciable difference heat wise. Anecdotally. Not cheap, but a good buy.

• Like x 1
  7. dhu1

dhu1 Member

Even with the tint, you felt that the roof was getting hot? Is the shade just a precautionary measure or was it getting hot enough where you needed it?

We haven't had any real hot days here in N. cal just yet, so can't tell whether I would need to tint the roof.

8. Az_Rael

Roof getting hot. Car is reaching 123 degrees F in mid 80s weather with noticeable heat from the roof once getting in. I have no idea how much worse it will get once summer is really here.

I can’t always precondition due to poor cell service in my work parking lot

• Love x 1
  9. iluvmacs

iluvmacs Member

I just put mine in for the first time a few days ago. Really significant difference while driving in terms of overhead sun annoyance factor. So glad I got it.

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  10. lemketron

lemketron Member

Where did you get that shade? I’ve noticed my car hitting 122 inside in the moderate Bay Area spring... fortunately it cools off pretty quickly even when I forget to precondition it...

11. Az_Rael

I got the shade from the Tesla online shop. Look under Model 3 vehicle accessories.

12. insaneoctane

insaneoctane Active Member

By the way, thank you Tesla for turning the air conditioner on as soon as I touch the door!

I have been using pre conditioning effectively as I walk to the car, but if I forget, it's easy to overlook the genius of that the air starts before I have to get in....

• Like x 4
  13. Zaphod

Zaphod Galaxy President (former)

Hey don't go flaunting your alcantara headliner! :p

• Funny x 4
  14. Az_Rael

Been keeping an eye on the car temps as the day has gone on. Previously the car was in the parking lot with no windshield shade and windows rolled up and the app reported 123F on a 85 degree day.

Today I noted the following temps from the app with the car in the same condition except install of the glass shade:

Time Car temp Outside temp
    10:40AM: 133F(!) 74F
    11:40AM: 118F 74F (I noticed the temperature was actively dropping at this time, oddly)
    11:41AM: 112F 74F

My husband then took the car to lunch and put up the windshield shade when he was done. No window venting, glass shade still in place:
    Time Car temp Outside temp
    12:57PM: 113F 88F
    1:10PM: 116F 89F
    1:22PM: 112F 89F
    3:06PM: 113F 94F

I now suspect there is some amount of cabin overheat going on. I do often find my car in a state of "deep sleep" where the screen takes about 1 minute to fire up, during which I have no A/C or anything while I wait. So I wonder if the 133F measurement happened during a deep sleep period and once I woke it up with the app, it fired up the fans or something. The app never indicated the fans were running on the Climate screen.

So, all this to say I have no idea if the shade is helping or not. :)

Here is the high temp screenshot:
    Screenshot_20180508-104045_Tesla.jpg

• Informative x 4
    • Love x 1
  15. SDKoala

SDKoala Model 3 LR RWD

I got mine last week and it definitely makes a difference. I was worried about reducing headroom, but it's negligible, maybe only like 1/2-inch less. I'll probably not remove it until the fall or winter, if I even remember it's there. Way too expense for what it is and really should have been included as part of the premium upgrade.

16. jasonmason

jasonmason Member

Do you have tinted windows as well?

17. SDKoala

SDKoala Model 3 LR RWD

No tint.

18. MBAgirl00

MBAgirl00 Member

Hi - I noticed the link in your signature about the paint protection and the tinting - have you had your paint protected yet? If so, did you go with the full 360? or the partial? I assume you paid the higher pricing until the 20th member purchases. How far from 20 members? I am interested for sure...and live nearby Concours...!

19. MBAgirl00

MBAgirl00 Member

@insaneoctane - I should have also asked if you chose the Suntek Ultra PPF or the Modesta Ceramic coating - or did you opt for both? Thanks!

20. insaneoctane

insaneoctane Active Member

There's been some drama re the discount...you can read about it at the end of this thread