Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

glass roofs have to go bye bye.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Benefits are - looks, no worries about scratches (which is really looks). Back seat visual - more open. Early Model S's really looked more high end with glass and I paid for it back then (also got a moonroof).
That being said - I do wish the option existed. At some point it was said that it allowed more automation during construction as the roof could be installed last after the interior was built.

I really wish EV makers would stop the trend of all glass roof. I never look up and all it does for me is generate more heat inside from the blazing sun. I end up tinting the entire glass roof and rear windshield in 15% tint for all my cars. On top of that, I also buy folding shades/cover if there is any aftermarket available.
lol. 15% windshield tint is dangerous and illegal in Cali. Good luck with that.

Benefits are - looks, no worries about scratches (which is really looks). Back seat visual - more open. Early Model S's really looked more high end with glass and I paid for it back then (also got a moonroof).
That being said - I do wish the option existed. At some point it was said that it allowed more automation during construction as the roof could be installed last after the interior was built.
If you have been following Model 3, originally there was going to be a metal roof option. However, it costs Tesla less money just to have one option, most people seem to place more value on glass roofs, plus it would have only been that small section above the driver/front passenger that would have been metal, so kind of pointless (the windshield and back would still be glass). Tesla didn't end up making a metal option.

As for the video, the windshield actually seemed the most damaged and the rear glass was damaged too. The middle part actually seemed to have held up really well (probably because it's a smaller piece). So in such a situation, I doubt there is much significant difference. With hail that strong, most likely a metal roof would be heavily damaged too and need replacement (plus windshield and rear window needs to be glass anyways).

If you have been following Model 3, originally there was going to be a metal roof option. However, it costs Tesla less money just to have one option, most people seem to place more value on glass roofs, plus it would have only been that small section above the driver/front passenger that would have been metal, so kind of pointless (the windshield and back would still be glass). Tesla didn't end up making a metal option.

As for the video, the windshield actually seemed the most damaged and the rear glass was damaged too. The middle part actually seemed to have held up really well (probably because it's a smaller piece). So in such a situation, I doubt there is much significant difference. With hail that strong, most likely a metal roof would be heavily damaged too and need replacement (plus windshield and rear window needs to be glass anyways).
Never really thought about it , but in a bad hail situation , a Model Y would need very little in body work.

New Glass. New hood, body work to the spoiler, roof rails, and fender tops paint and done , Oh and all the glass to vacuum up.:)

Just need a Hail Guard