Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla has officially removed the mobile connector as a standard accessory with every new car purchase; now a $400 separate purchase

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There's a month's long wait until there isn't. A friend recently ordered a Model 3 on March 26. He took delivery only 5 days later on March 31, 2022, after having been originally told the vehicle would arrive in Jun-Aug 2022. He scrambled for a charging solution upon initial delivery. The mobile connector got heavy usage on a standard NEMA 5-15 outlet during the first 2 weeks of ownership before he was able to get the Wall Connector installed.
Always exceptions to the rule. Congrats to your friend.

I assume it's like when a company says "In order to serve you better...". It's a way of saying "You're gonna hate this, but we'll make more money by...".
When Jeff Smisek was the CEO of United, he said the United was "making some changes, and we think you'll like them". He was endlessly mocked on the forums where "changes we'll like" came to refer to anything that customers hated and was done to try to increase United's profits, until Smisek himself was booted out of the CEO role for corruption/bribery.

Last edited:
Reactions: tps5352
Did they do the recall repair on most of the Bolts out there yet?
No. They haven't flipped all '17 to '19 Bolts to being eligible yet. Those who haven't had theirs done yet but their VIN is eligible get their recall number flipped to one ending in 881.

Few '20 to '22 have become eligible. Those get flipped to 941. If they are unsold new inventory, they get flipped to 943.

We're still waiting for the a new quarterly report. I checked earlier today and it still wasn't out yet.
Recall Quarterly Report 2021-3 was the last one I know of. 880 is for '18 to '19. 940 is for '20 to '22. Those NHTSA reports only apply to US Bolts. I don't know about the Bolts and Ampera-E's outside the US.

What rates is Pacific Gouge & Extort charging you? I mean, yeah, Pacific Gouge & Extort's rates kind of suck, and in theory, I could go a few miles away where there are some free EVSEs maybe once a week, but it's just not worth my time. On top of that, I'd have to charge to more than 60%, and my average depth of discharge would be much greater than 10-15%, which would be detrimental to battery life.
I'm on E-TOU-C, so see page 2 of https://www.pge.com/tariffs/assets/pdf/tariffbook/ELEC_SCHEDS_E-TOU-C.pdf. The mrginal rate would be about 37.3 to 42.4 cents per kWh if I were to charge at home since doing that would quickly push me into tier 2 since I wouldn't receive baseline credit for those additional kWh.

There's EV2-A (page 2 of https://www.pge.com/tariffs/assets/pdf/tariffbook/ELEC_SCHEDS_EV2 (Sch).pdf) at 24.4 cents per kWh but then they ream you rest of the day with 41.3 to 55.7 cents per kWh.

Reactions: STS-134
I'm on E-TOU-C, so see page 2 of https://www.pge.com/tariffs/assets/pdf/tariffbook/ELEC_SCHEDS_E-TOU-C.pdf. The mrginal rate would be about 37.3 to 42.4 cents per kWh if I were to charge at home since doing that would quickly push me into tier 2 since I wouldn't receive baseline credit for those additional kWh.

There's EV2-A (page 2 of https://www.pge.com/tariffs/assets/pdf/tariffbook/ELEC_SCHEDS_EV2 (Sch).pdf) at 24.4 cents per kWh but then they ream you rest of the day with 41.3 to 55.7 cents per kWh.
Yep. That's exactly why I elected to be on E-TOU-D instead of EV2-A. EV-B would have been interesting but I would have had to statically partition my service and there was no guarantee that EV-B would continue to be cheaper. Even the EV-B rates have almost doubled in the past 1-2 years.

BTW, re: Bolt battery replacements, the world famous Jaryd (at dealer tech in IL, IIRC) sometimes posts and replies on some Bolt FB groups.

Here are some recent posts from him about '20 to '22 battery replacement status:

Near the top of Battery replacement recall remedy tracking summary is one user's attempt to categorize which batches of Bolts have been flipped to be eligible.

EV-B is a no thanks for me as I'd need a separate meter and EVSE for it. I don't own the house I ilve in and don't even have L2 at home.

I've been going back to the office where I have free L2 charging (my primary source of EV juice since I began driving BEVs at end of July 2013). There is also some free L2 under 6 miles from home and 19 cent/kWh DC FC ~5 miles from home in an area that I pass often.

No. They haven't flipped all '17 to '19 Bolts to being eligible yet. Those who haven't had theirs done yet but their VIN is eligible get their recall number flipped to one ending in 881.

Few '20 to '22 have become eligible. Those get flipped to 941. If they are unsold new inventory, they get flipped to 943.

We're still waiting for the a new quarterly report. I checked earlier today and it still wasn't out yet.
Recall Quarterly Report 2021-3 was the last one I know of. 880 is for '18 to '19. 940 is for '20 to '22. Those NHTSA reports only apply to US Bolts. I don't know about the Bolts and Ampera-E's outside the US.
To followup, new quarterly reports came up recently. I think they were spotted today.
https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/2021/RCLQRT-21V560-6381.PDF - for US '17 to '19 Bolts
https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/2021/RCLQRT-21V650-2776.PDF - for US '20 to '22

I think we're unclear on the latter in terms of whether it includes the unsold new '20 to '22 Bolts where eligible VINs would get moved to N212345943 if eligible. Customer cars of '20 to '22 get moved to N212345941 when eligible.

Back to the original topic at hand… there’s finally an official cutoff of date of 4/28 and mobile connector prices have updated to $200 on the Tesla shop. Car configurator now shows charging options. Wall connector also dropped to $400.

Attachments

• C3191AC2-AFC0-4786-8E4A-552551420DFA.png
    C3191AC2-AFC0-4786-8E4A-552551420DFA.png
    294.8 KB · Views: 70
  • FCF80E2B-DC22-4433-AEE0-A73AA711E8E7.png
    FCF80E2B-DC22-4433-AEE0-A73AA711E8E7.png
    435.4 KB · Views: 38
  • Informative
Reactions: mociaf9 and Rocky_H
Hi all,

I am new to Teslas / EVs, so forgive me if this is a dumb question: A YouTuber mentioned that the Lectron NEMA 5-15 Level 1 EV Charger actually charges faster than the Tesla Mobile Connector. Does anyone know if that's true?

I see the Lectron NEMA 5-15 Level 1 EV Charger on Amazon for $179, while the Tesla Mobile Connector cost me $230 (but I can return).

Any pros / cons between these two from folks in-the-know would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

• Funny
Reactions: Rocky_H
A YouTuber mentioned that the Lectron NEMA 5-15 Level 1 EV Charger actually charges faster than the Tesla Mobile Connector

With a level 1 charging you will get about 3-4 miles of charge per hour with either charger. It is a limitation of the amperage of the 5-15 connector as it has a maximum of 15amps

Screenshot 2023-02-22 at 10.45.17 AM.png

Personally, I would trust Tesla's mobile connector before some third-party on Amazon... but I don't have any personal experience with Lectron.

My opinion is that a wall charger (like Tesla's HPWC) is a much better option than the mobile connector. It's really not just an opinion, but objective experience from reading forum posts. NEMA 5-15 outlets have a higher occurrence of issues (e.g. arcs / fires) because of poor quality outlets and/or regularly plugging and unplugging. A hardwired EVSE is recommended, especially if you own the home and plan to stay there long term (but even if not).

NEMA 5-15 outlets have a higher occurrence of issues

Derp... this isn't really true either... I was thinking of higher amperage outlets (240v). 15 amps won't be a problem.

That said... you're in New Jersey.. during Winter 15amps might not be enough to even warm the battery to accept a charge.

I strongly suggest you consider a 240v charging solution. As I already mentioned, I recommend a hardwired EVSE (e.g. Tesla's High Powered Wall Charger). This will be like your own gas station.

Being in New Jersey, you might have to hire an attendant to plug it in for you though 🤪

• Funny
Reactions: Rocky_H and kavyboy
Hi all,

I am new to Teslas / EVs, so forgive me if this is a dumb question: A YouTuber mentioned that the Lectron NEMA 5-15 Level 1 EV Charger actually charges faster than the Tesla Mobile Connector. Does anyone know if that's true?

I see the Lectron NEMA 5-15 Level 1 EV Charger on Amazon for $179, while the Tesla Mobile Connector cost me $230 (but I can return).

Any pros / cons between these two from folks in-the-know would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Letron says it can pull 16amps, which is not only above the 15A non-continuous rating for a NEMA 5-15, for a continuous load like EV charging it is supposed to limit to 12A (which is what the Tesla Mobile Connector does). If it is true it is pulling more than 12A from a NEMA 5-15, it is a code violation and fire hazard.

I personally wouldn't bother with the Lectron. The mobile connector is far more flexible given you can swap the connector to support almost every type of NEMA outlet (up to a 14-50 which it can do 240V@32A on) and it will automatically adjust the appropriate current based on what adapter you attached. Each adapter also has a temperature sensor for safety.

If you really want to charge at 16A, you can always buy a NEMA 5-20 adapter for the Mobile Connector and swap out the socket at your home (after verifying that it is wired for 20A AKA 12 Gauge and goes to a 20A breaker). The socket in your home may even already be a NEMA 5-20.

...Lectron NEMA 5-15 Level 1 EV Charger actually charges faster than the Tesla Mobile Connector...

Any pros / cons...

I agree with other commenters. The Tesla Generation 2 Mobile Connector is the (much) better choice. Why?
  • Utility -- With the NEMA 14-50 adapter-plug that I believe once again comes with the Tesla Gen2 Mobile Connector, you can charge using 240v (NEMA 14-50) wall outlets. (Other Tesla and aftermarket adapter-plugs, sold separately, are available for other wall outlet types.)
  • Convenience -- The Tesla connector does NOT require use of a J1772 adapter to charge a Tesla car.
  • Reliability -- I suspect that the Tesla connector is the better made product and will hold up for a longer time without problems.
  • Peace of Mind -- If this is a consideration for you, you can be sure of complete and total (electrical/communication) harmony between a Tesla car and a Tesla connector.
As others have pointed out, you probably do not want to normally try to charge using a 120v wall outlet. It is just too slow. So Lectron's advertised argument (claiming faster speed), is just a(n intentional?) distraction maneuver (even if true, which it probably isn't). Unless you can afford to have your car sit around for a couple of days at a time (to charge from 20% to 80%), for normal home use you will probably want and need a 240v power source.

Perhaps the most popular is a 240v, 50 amp NEMA 14-50 wall outlet* mentioned above (at the end of #6 gauge house wiring on a GFI 50-amp circuit breaker). A dedicated 50-amp circuit (installed from your breaker panel to a wall outlet) will allow you to easily charge overnight at 40 amps, 32 amps, or even less. (You can control the amperage charging rate from within your car. Most Tesla cars can charge at up to 48 amps, but that power level (which, btw, would require a 60-amp circuit) is overkill and not necessary for most overnight charging.)

All that said, arguably the best home charging setup involves a Tesla (or other good brand of) wall connector (on a properly-installed 240v, 50a or 60a circuit). Though more expensive, wall connectors can be safer, more convenient, weather-proof, and offer other advantages.

Take a look at this post: Choosing A Tesla Home-charging Option. Perhaps it can help you select a home charging setup?
_____
* By the way, if you do decide to install a NEMA 14-50 wall outlet, do NOT buy a cheap receptacle (like the ubiquitous Leviton model) from a hardware or big-box store. Instead, purchase a Hubbell (9450a), Bryant (9450fr), Cooper (5754n), or other good commercial-grade wall receptacle; install everything properly; then keep a dedicated mobile connector/cable permanently plugged into the outlet. (Why? Wall outlets do not tend to hold up well to regular, repeated plugging and unplugging over time. Also, a 240v plug is large. You don't want to be man-handling that thing on a regular basis.)

All the information in this post can be found in other posts throughout the TMC forum. (Use the "Search" function.)

Last edited: