Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla hate?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Speaking of making far fetched assumptions… :wink:

Neither item you quoted was an assumption. I posed a slightly facetious pair of questions, and I rendered an opinion...and I also proposed a lot of possibilities, which you didn't quote, to illustrate why the reaction seemed over-the-top to me. :rolleyes:

- - - Updated - - -

Just to chime in here, I also have found the exact *opposite* up here in the Pacific NW. I have had *most* of my 'thumbs ups' and 'nice car' from guys in big pickup trucks.

Most of these nice experiences happen to me when I'm going into 7-11 near my office, frequently without me being able to tell which car's theirs. (Clearly I go to 7-11 way too often....)

The closest I've come is people complaining about the price or where the electricity comes from. And when I was at a car show, one person complained to another Model S owner about not going through dealers. My guess is that he is a dealer but I didn't talk to him directly. Mostly people are either indifferent or positive.

I "think" I may have experienced some of that jealously though… A guy with a brand new Mercedes had parked it conspicuously at my Daughter's Soccer game where all could see it. He also kind of stood right next to it so everyone would know it was his… You know the type… ;)

Anyway, I came driving in with my brand new Tesla with my "Zero Emission" plates and he had a look on his face like I just kicked him in the stomach. He then quickly feigned indifference and would't look at me. :frown:

ETA: hmmm… maybe some of the "indifference" we are seeing is actually veiled jealousy? :D

^ LMHO. Love this!!! :smile:
Be sure not to profile, as I've passed a guy on the freeway (we were doing about 70) in a big Ford quad cab 350, he rolled down his window, smiled and give me a thumbs up as I went by.

Ha! That could have been me. Esp. if the F-350 was green...as mine is...same color as my P85.....
I give thumbs up to every Tesla I meet. Doesn't everyone?

I give thumbs up to every Tesla I meet. Doesn't everyone?

Umm... Given the glut of Model Ss around here, you should see the apathy of some fellow Tesla drivers. My 7-year-old son innocently wonders why some folks don't respond to his friendly waves.

This was my sour experience btw earlier this year:

Neighbors jealous of the Model S :(

I have an idea for a bumper sticker, as I once saw a truck with this "I use the GAS you save" so my idea is:
all electric so there is more gas for you

In Jay Leno's review of the Model S, he says almost exactly that. Something like with electric cars, there's more gas for ICE enthusiasts.

Here's the video in case you haven't seen it:

Last edited by a moderator:
Others have mentioned that they receive far more positive comments/responses to their Tesla than negative ones. Even though I had this unpleasant experience that is also the case for me. So many people ask for rides or comment on what a beautiful car it is.

In regards to cutting someone off, or perhaps something else I did, I can tell you I am a very* careful driver. I use my blinkers, when applicable, all the time, every time. I do not tailgate and go out of my way not to cause a problem. I try not to be a hypocrite about driving.

The only reason I mentioned protection (firearm) is because of unprovoked aggression from someone who lives within a mile of me. I did decide not to carry my gun with me as I realized there is more of a chance something negative would come of it than a chance I would save myself from this person.

I'm over it, not going to sweat the small stuff unless I see this guy and he elvates his level of aggression.

If you drive anything that isn't either a big truck or a plain econobox, there will be those who assuage their insecurity by venting on you for your choice of vehicle.
There are also those that overgeneralize based on a small sample size to paint large groups of drivers with a broad brush. Ahem.

- - - Updated - - -

I "think" I may have experienced some of that jealously though… A guy with a brand new Mercedes had parked it conspicuously at my Daughter's Soccer game where all could see it. He also kind of stood right next to it so everyone would know it was his… You know the type… ;)

Anyway, I came driving in with my brand new Tesla with my "Zero Emission" plates and he had a look on his face like I just kicked him in the stomach. He then quickly feigned indifference and would't look at me. :frown:

ETA: hmmm… maybe some of the "indifference" we are seeing is actually veiled jealousy? :D
I usually take a different approach. Perhaps you might call it "outreach". Let's assume the guy really likes his purchase, he's proud of it, and he likes to talk about it. Frankly, that description fits a lot of Model S owners. So what makes the situation positive for everyone? Talk about his car. Approach nicely and at least attempt to be genuinely interested in what he thinks about his car, why he chose it, what features are "omg awesome" and what are the weak points. You might be surprised at a new friendship that might develop -- and a potential convert ("for his wife's car") when Gen 3 arrives.

I'm politically to the right of Attilla the Hun, but I love my Model S because it's a great car.

In this area you can get it from both sides-- the lefties don't like you because you are obviously a rich capitalist driving your expensive Model S, and the righties don't like you because you are obviously an environmentalist tree hugger.

That said, I get far, far more positive comments and waves than anything negative.

I'm politically to the right of Attilla the Hun, but I love my Model S because it's a great car.

In this area you can get it from both sides-- the lefties don't like you because you are obviously a rich capitalist driving your expensive Model S, and the righties don't like you because you are obviously an environmentalist tree hugger.

That said, I get far, far more positive comments and waves than anything negative.

Well, I'm a Libertarian, so I'm *used* to being hated by both sides...so nothing's changed for me! I was getting more positive than negative, but now I'm getting a lot of "fire" comments with smug looks.

Few weeks ago in La Jolla, CA, in a parking lot. Starbucks customer walks over to his big F150 pickup truck (or maybe it was a Dodge, I dunno), gets in, and is pulling out of a parking space while I am walking to my car. He sees me, sees my Model S, and yells, "I DIDN'T VOTE FOR OBAMA!" and storms off. To this day I have no idea what prompted that. If it was some kind of reference to the US DOE loan to Tesla, wasn't that signed into law by Bush? I'm still wondering what this truck driver's issue was.

(On a thinly-related note, this weekend I just for the first time ever saw a Toyota Prius in La Jolla that had a Romney bumper-sticker. There are so many Priuses with Obama bumper-stickers I often joke that Toyota should just rename the car Toyota Obama. Amazing to find a Romney supporter driving around in a Prius in these parts.)