Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla hate?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
shoot me the bird...Unfortunately this has prompted me to start carrying my firearm for protection.

What the heck? Was he frothing at the mouth or something? What if he'd said F you or whatever--then is it shooting time? Gah, crazy escalation here, sorry.

my first assumption

Lots of assumptions--not just you, but maybe him as well. (And a few others in this thread.) He may not be very observant! Maybe last time he noticed you, you cut him off without realizing it. Maybe he thought you shot him the bird. Maybe he thought you were someone else. Maybe he was trying to shoot the bird at someone else and you were between him and them. Maybe he hates your haircut. Maybe he has Tourette's Syndrome...okay, highly unlikely, but my point is, really, it could be anything, but it's probably not a threat, IMHO. So to hell with him and whatever he thinks--which you can't know, unless you read minds and didn't mention that. ;-) Just ignore him. I do sympathize--I hate that kinda stuff (hasn't happened to me, fortunately; I'd do something stupid like flip him off right back, and that'd be a mistake).

But wow, I gotta say: Either you live in a very scary area, or you shouldn't own a gun. :scared: ;-) Either way, good luck, take it easy and don't let the a'holes get ya down.

If you drive anything that isn't either a big truck or a plain econobox, there will be those who assuage their insecurity by venting on you for your choice of vehicle.

Ha! I currently have one of each of those. The "model x" license plate is on the truck - for now. Safe to say nobody ever gives me a second (or first) look. :tongue:

…/shoot me the bird.

/…/

Unfortunately this has prompted me to start carrying my firearm for protection. /…

What the heck? Was he frothing at the mouth or something? What if he'd said F you or whatever--then is it shooting time? Gah, crazy escalation here, sorry.

/.../

Lots of assumptions--

/.../

But wow, I gotta say: Either you live in a very scary area, or you shouldn't own a gun. :scared: ;-) /...
Speaking of making far fetched assumptions… :wink:

Next time just stick your head out and yell, "I know, right? My truck's in the shop and this is all they had to loan me." Or buy a bumper sticker that says, 'My other vehicle is a pickup' or some such. Maybe just put a gun rack in your S? :smile: In the end, it's not like he's got anything that can catch you. :wink:

^ LMHO. Love this!!! :smile:

Ignorance and false information often lead to this mindset.

Zextra's right, you don't really know what they're thinking... and as others have suggested, politically left, right, or in the middle... there's something for everyone to love in this car. For him, perhaps these -- stop paying/funding hostile foreign countries (for oil), free charging, it's American made, 1,000s of jobs created in a down economy... oh it's screaming fast/fun to drive (give'em a ride), and it's sexy too. No compromises.

Be sure not to profile, as I've passed a guy on the freeway (we were doing about 70) in a big Ford quad cab 350, he rolled down his window, smiled and give me a thumbs up as I went by.

Thank goodness we are not all male green software engineers married to women who love cars. Now, I'd be happy to be that guy, but our strength here is that we see tesla through different eyes and, yet, this car has so many strong suites it's thrills us all. The green. The fast. The safety conscious. The tech geek. The stylish (opinion!). May it remain a little hard to pin us all. And, as we head out into the roads, may we all recognize how ridiculously lucky we are to be driving this car that so many would wish to own, and show a little extra patience on the road, leave a little more time for that car in front of you to turn, little slower to anger, little less nasty when angered, a little less hasty with the hand gun :).

I had a guy in a parking lot tell me I'm a drone and an Obama-sympathizer for driving an electric car. Obviously he believes climate change is a myth and that Obama is somehow personally gaining from fewer people using gasoline in their cars. As I got in the car and closed the door he gave me the finger and threw his giant fountain drink(not even in my general direction) in a ridiculous rage. And a friend of mine who also drives a Tesla has had his car keyed twice at work in a private parking lot. We think it's some dumb Tesla-hater because he's the nicest guy you'll ever meet so there's no way someone has such a deep beef with him.

I've never encountered any hostility. Quite the opposite. In fact, my favorite encounter was this summer when driving down in southern Washington a long line of Harley's drove up along side me and the guy in the lead took a long look backwards and gave me the biggest grin and thumbs up I've ever seen. And my license plate even says "EV" in it, for crying out loud! He loved it, and by his position as alpha dog in the pack so must everyone else riding with him. :)

I think we're still in the early days of shifting opinion on what an EV can mean, and there's no better way to do that than with a Tesla.

I've never received any Tesla hate face to face but I've gotten plenty of it on a firearms website, I kind of expect it there, some of the members of that site think fox news is liberal ,but, here's a good one, when the Tesla vs car dealers petition was making the rounds I started a thread on that site asking if car dealers deserved protection from competion and should Tesla be sanctioned for not useing the traditional dealer sales model. The poll results were so far in favor of Teslas sales model it was hilarious. That being said I got more than a few negative posts on Tesla, most of them mentioning the tax credit.

I've never encountered any hostility. Quite the opposite. In fact, my favorite encounter was this summer when driving down in southern Washington a long line of Harley's drove up along side me and the guy in the lead took a long look backwards and gave me the biggest grin and thumbs up I've ever seen. And my license plate even says "EV" in it, for crying out loud! He loved it, and by his position as alpha dog in the pack so must everyone else riding with him. :)

I think we're still in the early days of shifting opinion on what an EV can mean, and there's no better way to do that than with a Tesla.

I have definitely gotten WAY more positivity over my Model S than hate. Also usually in parking lots. Whole Foods, Trader Joe's, Ralph's and Gelson's attract a lot of Tesla lovers. And I just realized that I go to a lot of grocery stores.

Thank goodness we are not all male green software engineers married to women who love cars. Now, I'd be happy to be that guy, but our strength here is that we see tesla through different eyes and, yet, this car has so many strong suites it's thrills us all. The green. The fast. The safety conscious. The tech geek. The stylish (opinion!). May it remain a little hard to pin us all. And, as we head out into the roads, may we all recognize how ridiculously lucky we are to be driving this car that so many would wish to own, and show a little extra patience on the road, leave a little more time for that car in front of you to turn, little slower to anger, little less nasty when angered, a little less hasty with the hand gun :).

You have it almost right. My spouse is the EE and I'm from the environmental field.
(That's from growing up in the forest on a river that I saw degrade badly as I was growing up.)
But, we met because we both enjoyed cars. Now I just have a bit less pollution guilt when it comes to my passion for performance cars and his racing habit.

Where I grew up the local joke was, "Ya know what foreplay is? Git in the truck!" There is a bit of a rebel in me. I prefer shotguns, personally.
The bottom line was that I never would date a dude that was into his truck.

Last edited:
Yes. No. Not to profile (although I guess I must) but these behaviors are rather common amongst those driving such vehicles - which in many cases they are driving in attempt to express their views, which are often counter what they perceive as the views of EV owners.

(Greg - from Beaverton, OR)
Be sure not to profile, as I've passed a guy on the freeway (we were doing about 70) in a big Ford quad cab 350, he rolled down his window, smiled and give me a thumbs up as I went by.

Just to chime in here, I also have found the exact *opposite* up here in the Pacific NW. I have had *most* of my 'thumbs ups' and 'nice car' from guys in big pickup trucks.

Last edited:

Absolutely perfect advice. It is sad to see the divides in this country. Maybe we can all just get along and be happy for each others' successes. On the flip side, we must all realize that there are many many people that success comes hard for. Just do the right thing!

On Thanksgiving day... This ^
So appropriate. :)

And @ Krugerrand - I want ride shot-gun with you! Somehow I think every day you'd add a twist to that Tesla permagrin. :tongue: