Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla High Power Wall Charger

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
my HPWC (grey, Gen 2 with pig tail) is 6 months old.....I kept getting charging that starts at 40a and drops to 30a but goes back up to 40a.......this cycle continues throughout the charge cycle.......last week, it went to 40a and then to 30a, but never went back to 40a.....

my electrician came by and checked everything, and even changed the Siemans 50a breaker...........

I called Tesla and sent them a bunch of videos and screen shots from Teslafi showing all of the charges that this happens......got a email asking for address to send new unit......got unit today, and it was the old black one with no pig tail....although the cables were much thicker, I now have to hire a electrician to come back and re-wire the charger...

Tesla said they would give me $250 towards installation, but that will not cover it....It is still under warranty so I am expecting to get the same type of unit I bought....

My question is this: can I use the old pig tail and wire it to the new black charger? Or am I stuck with the hard wire solution of the black unit which is an older unit not a new one....the black one seems like a step backwards accordingly to the Tesla shopping site.....

any thoughts?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions

So you had the one with the 14-50 plug already installed?

If so, the gen2 without the pigtail is a much heavier duty unit.

Many people have added a pigtail to the standard unit. If you do, make sure it is rated properly and the WC is set to a 50a circuit (40a max).

Depending on where you live, I would think $250 would cover Hardwire installation. It would just take a face plate, Wire, some flex conduit, and mounting screws.

So you had the one with the 14-50 plug already installed?

If so, the gen2 without the pigtail is a much heavier duty unit.

Many people have added a pigtail to the standard unit. If you do, make sure it is rated properly and the WC is set to a 50a circuit (40a max).

Depending on where you live, I would think $250 would cover Hardwire installation. It would just take a face plate, Wire, some flex conduit, and mounting screws.

Yes, I currently have the grey pen 2 unit with the 14-50 plug that I just put thru the hole and attached to the connections inside the unit....only used the red, black, green ground....did not use the white wire......

I did notice that the black one I just received is heavier.....also, the cord and handle wires are thicker and heavier as well.....I think the wiring is larger(probably 6-8 awg) than my current unit.....yes , my panel dictates that I use a 50a breaker and I can charge with 40amps going into car from charger....I dont see why I could not just buy a cord with the Nema 14-50 plug already attached and wire that to the charger instead of having to hard wire..... can I do that?

My question is this: can I use the old pig tail and wire it to the new black charger?

Yes. You can also buy yourself a new pigtail and save yourself the trouble of dismantling the old unit.

Amazon.com : 14-50 pigtail

There are also two switches that you will need to turn inside the unit. See page 21-22 of the manual. 14-50 would be rotary position 8. Then you want dip switch 1 DOWN, switch 2 up, as in the "240v or less" sketch on page 21.

The other thing is that you want to make sure to tighten all the connectors tight and in theory you should read or at least skim the instructions.

$250 is very reasonable for an electrician to install the pigtail. In fact, it is not even considered "electrical work" in the sense of requiring a licensed electrician and permitting, sort of like changing a lightbulb or repairing your computer.

There is the argument that installing a pigtail voids the UL listing as it isn’t mentioned in the manual. Personally I don’t see it as a big deal.

Do keep the pigtail as short is possible. Do properly torque the wire terminals. Do properly install protection so the wire cannot be yanked out.

Yes. You can also buy yourself a new pigtail and save yourself the trouble of dismantling the old unit.

Amazon.com : 14-50 pigtail

There are also two switches that you will need to turn inside the unit. See page 21-22 of the manual. 14-50 would be rotary position 8. Then you want dip switch 1 DOWN, switch 2 up, as in the "240v or less" sketch on page 21.

The other thing is that you want to make sure to tighten all the connectors tight and in theory you should read or at least skim the instructions.

$250 is very reasonable for an electrician to install the pigtail. In fact, it is not even considered "electrical work" in the sense of requiring a licensed electrician and permitting, sort of like changing a lightbulb or repairing your computer.
thank you.....I have installed the pig tail when we did initial install....if I had it to do over, I would do a hard wire which is what I am going to do now.....familiar with DIP switches and have then set correctly.....

the $250 is what Tesla is going to give me back for the hard wiring of the unit, but today, they told me to just send in the invoice from one of their preferred electrician installers and they will pay for it....the cost of hard wire is $425.......so, they said that was OK......so I am hard wiring. this input