Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla High-usage Supercharger Station Max battery charge of 80%.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yup, here I am at a congested supercharger location. Fights breaking out in line. People been waiting 2 days to charge here some folks say. Thank God I'm not allowed to get that extra ten percent.

If anyone was actually waiting, I'd have no problem moving on.

IMG_8416.jpg

I stopped by a high-usage SuC in San Clemente, Ca over Memorial Day. We had to wait about 1 minute for one of the 21 stalls to become available and my initial max charging rate was 31kW at 24% SOC. 15 minutes later I'm in line to order lunch and my charging speed bumped up to 81kW. Dropped off my table number with my wife and moved the car so others could charge. I went from 24% to 72% in just 30 minutes at a crowded lot. Maybe it was just good timing; perhaps my cabinet partner might have left early but I was impressed.

Same thing at the Hard Rock Hotel (South Lake Tahoe, CA) last night. 1 out of 14 stations used. then I drove up and started charging. First time I saw that message!

Was in South Las Vegas this weekend (and St. George UT) and there were 0/10 available, and no 80% warning. Unsure what triggers it.

Here’s someone taking up 3 of the 9 available spots. Mine was the only car charging so I didn’t say anything. She was in the vehicle, about 30 minutes or so, I assume she’d have moved if necessary. I wonder what goes through someone’s mind when they choose to do this.

EA3F2884-C973-48D0-9D35-A12CE5C381AD.jpeg

Here’s someone taking up 3 of the 9 available spots. Mine was the only car charging so I didn’t say anything. She was in the vehicle, about 30 minutes or so, I assume she’d have moved if necessary. I wonder what goes through someone’s mind when they choose to do this.

I don't get the big deal. The driver had something to do and pulled off the lane so not to be in the way. Most people don't know diddly about EVs and charging. There was no blockage. No harm, no foul.

I've tried talking to people stopped in front of or parked at chargers. Only once did they realize they might be a problem and that was an EV driver in some other brand of EV. Even then some of the stalls were marked "30 minute general parking". I talked to the driver and he was very aware of the issues, but parking is tight in that garage... well, at least on the ground level. It's actually a terrible charging spot with the pull in charging spaces rather than the back in spots which are typical.

Anyway, I think I would have approached the car blocking the chargers and asked if they needed any help. Then open the conversation to point out the chargers in those spots.