Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla hit with (yet another) lawsuit by Florida man (not THAT Florida man) for deception/lying about FSD capabilities

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Florida plaintiff Christopher Mallow filed the lawsuit after he purchased a new 2020 Model 3 Tesla Performance Edition in November 2019 and paid an additional $7,000 for the “Full Self-Driving Capability” option.

According to the plaintiff, Tesla has continually made deceptive and misleading statements about the capabilities of Autopilot and Full Self-Driving, especially on its website.

The plaintiff alleges customers have not received vehicles capable of “full self-driving in almost all circumstances," and that could “conduct short and long distance trips with no action required by the person in the driver's seat” and with a “probability of safety at least twice as good as the average human driver.”

I am glad someone is going after Tesla, but if this lawsuit succeeds Tesla will get a well deserved slap on the wrist and the amount we get will be very small, as is typical in Class Action lawsuits.

I believe Tesla has sold about 1.5M cars and if we assume that half of that number bought FSD then the pool is 750K claimants. If Tesla settles for $100M about 1/3 will go to the lawyers, which leaves about $67M for the claimants. Divide that by 750K claimants and it comes to just $90 per claimant.

I think I'll buy some lottery tickets. ;)

Last edited:
I am glad someone is going after Tesla, but if this lawsuit succeeds Tesla will get a well deserved slap on the wrist and the amount we get will be very small, as is typical in Class Action lawsuits.

I believe Tesla has sold about 1.5M cars and if we assume that half of that number bought FSD then the pool is 750K claimants. If Tesla settles for $100M about 1/3 will go to the lawyers, which leaves about $67M for the claimants. Divide that by 750K claimants and it comes to just $90 per claimant.

I think I'll buy some lottery tickets. ;)
Yeah, class action suits are for lawyers not claimants. But I think the estimate of 50% buying FSD is much higher than reality. None of us knows the actual figures but I’d be surprised if it exceed 15%, including subscribers.

Reactions: DrGriz
Ive heard (not Tesla specific) of situations where persons opted out of class actions, but used all the evidence FROM The class actions, to file their own civil suits for decent amounts of $$. They essentially claimed their own damages (Ex: in this case would potentially be total cost of FSD + additional damages) and represented themselves using said evidence of the class action.

Is teslafi representative of all tesla owners? Or just those who are Teslafi customers? (Ive never known the answer to that). If the former, I'd assume a very high rate of FSD there, as it would be more harder-core techies using TeslaFi vs the average Tesla customer

It is really hard to find good data on the FSD uptake rate. This is from Forbes:

AC5FDB1F-3011-403D-9185-542E31A56601.jpeg

Reactions: Dewg
That data is from a self-selected pool, so take that with a large grain of salt. It's probably in the ballpark, but my guess is the actual take rate is lower than shown on that chart.
On the other hand:

“There’s about 100,000 people in the beta, so it’s not tiny,” Musk said during his nearly-two-hour interview, “and we’ll be expanding that to, I don’t know, probably one million people, on that order by the end of the year.” - May 2022

On the other hand:

“There’s about 100,000 people in the beta, so it’s not tiny,” Musk said during his nearly-two-hour interview, “and we’ll be expanding that to, I don’t know, probably one million people, on that order by the end of the year.” - May 2022
Aaahh, another Musk quote stating a timeline for delivering something. Obviously gospel, especially in light of previous similar statements.

• Funny
Reactions: 2101Guy and ATPMSD