Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla home charging - UK questions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Going to get a used Model S soon so now researching home charging options

Am in the process of finding out if 32A is feasible in my home; the consumer unit is about 15 years old.

What happens when the battery reaches charge? Do you need a smarter wall unit to switch off at that point or does the car's system take care of that? Similar question for preset charging hours for Economy 7, etc?

I've looked high and low and am yet to find a really good article on home charging options and costs specifically for the UK.

The car takes car of the charge rate and takes as much as it can handle and your supply can give. I had a 32A 7kW fitted at home and get about 10% per hour up to 90% then the last 10% (when actually charged to 100% which is rare) takes 1.5 hours as the car tapers off the charge.

• Helpful
Reactions: vitesse
This page has a good overview of the options: Charging at home guide

I've just had a home charger installed last week, I went for a Rolec 32A charger. Whichever charger you go for you can set the time at which charging will start and the maximum charge percentage in the car / Tesla app.

I went for a Rolec for a few reasons:
  • It get's the full 32A rating... a lot of the others are 30A.
  • It's one of the cheapest.
  • For me I didn't see the value in wifi and other features of some of the other companies... unless you have a specific need for these features I thought it would be more to go wrong - you can control charging start/stop etc from the Tesla app anyway.
  • Another company (Chargemaster) would have required me to add various other bits into my system (Double Pole Mains Isolator Switch and a breaker) at extra cost and hassle.. for the Rolec it was just a case of them wiring it straight in to my consumer unit. I believe this might be because the Rolec unit has a built in breaker? Chargemaster also wanted me to upgrade my main fuse from 60A to 100A.. this may well not be necessary, you can ask your electricity distributor to do a load check to see.

• Informative
Reactions: NikoV6 and vitesse
This page has a good overview of the options: Charging at home guide

I've just had a home charger installed last week, I went for a Rolec 32A charger. Whichever charger you go for you can set the time at which charging will start and the maximum charge percentage in the car / Tesla app.

I went for a Rolec for a few reasons:
  • It get's the full 32A rating... a lot of the others are 30A.
  • It's one of the cheapest.
  • For me I didn't see the value in wifi and other features of some of the other companies... unless you have a specific need for these features I thought it would be more to go wrong - you can control charging start/stop etc from the Tesla app anyway.
  • Another company (Chargemaster) would have required me to add various other bits into my system (Double Pole Mains Isolator Switch and a breaker) at extra cost and hassle.. for the Rolec it was just a case of them wiring it straight in to my consumer unit. I believe this might be because the Rolec unit has a built in breaker? Chargemaster also wanted me to upgrade my main fuse from 60A to 100A.. this may well not be necessary, you can ask your electricity distributor to do a load check to see.
I have the same unit. Cheap, simple ,and does the job. You can control the charging start time and stop percentage on the car so you don't need a complex charger.

• Helpful
Reactions: vitesse
Thanks everyone - great info :)

I read that the OLEV grant eligibility is for owners who purchased cars after October 2016. Is that date for the original purchase of a new car or would I be eligible for my upcoming purchase of a used Model S first registered in March 2016?

I have 3 year old Rolec (both at home and at work), apparently quality has improved, but both mine have needed Sparky visit approx once a year to fix something. I'm about to bin the one at home as I'm fed up with getting up in the morning and finding it decided to stop charging in the middle of the night.

Tesla wall charger will load balance - when you have Two Tesla's on your drive :)

If you are having a Sparky fit a Wall Charger I suggest you also get them to fix a just-in-case Commando Socket. I've used mine every time my Rolec has failed ... and a vising EV could use ti too (although I have never had one, that wasn;t a Tesla :) )

What happens when the battery reaches charge?

You set the required (i.e. maximum) charge on the dash. Normally you'd probably just leave that alone - e.g. at 90%. Dash also allows a Start Time to be set (which is GPS-aware, so setting it for Home won't delay charging when you plug in at a e.g. a hotel).

Before current V9 software there was also a charge-now button. The Tesla-normal-rubbish QA failed to migrate that to V9, so now you have to disable "scheduled charge" in order to "charge now" ... and then of course you have to remember to re-enable it, at THAT location, next time.

You can adjust AMPS from the dashboard too ... so if you are staying with friends and plugged into their frayed lawn mower extension plugged into a socket in the shed that is falling to bits :rolleyes: then if you find the plug getting hot after 30 minutes just dial-down the AMPS. Best to check the plug temperature before going to bed ;)

Similar question for preset charging hours for Economy 7,

Depends a bit how sophisticated you want to get ... I'm a Nerd (programmer by trade) so :

You can set the car to Start at midnight (for E7). (Don't forget to change it to 1AM when Summer Time starts ... no magic-bullet for that)

Car, conveniently, will still start if you come home late after a good party :) I'm not sure how much slack there is, but its "quite a bit" (several hours)

Car will NOT stop at 7AM. Of course most nights midnight-to-7AM is all you need (7kW is about 22 MPH, so 150 miles).

In addition to car's own Scheduled Charge I use a 3rd party utility.

I leave for work at around 05:30, I want the car pre-conditioned before that, and ideally in Winter I would like a warm battery (cold battery has reduced regen for first 10-20 minutes)

My 3rd party scheduler reduces charge limit to 80% at midnight (if I am at home), and then back up to 90% at 04:30 (and restarts charging if stopped) so that the battery is charging, and warming, the last 60 minutes.

It also stops charging at 7AM. If I come home needing more than 150 miles I'll get that the following night on E7 ...

Of course all that means that if I *do* want Max Range tomorrow I have to override something. Typically I want 100% for those days, so I have another (optional) schedule which aims to complete 100% charging shortly before departure (not good to leave battery at 100% charge for hours on end ... nor below 20% either .. so if I arrive below 20% I charge immediately). My 100%-charge schedule also preconditions the car shortly before departure ... and turns OFF precondition if I then don't actually depart :)

(It used to be that pre-condition automatically stopped after 30 minutes, but an update somewhere along the way did away with that and I only discovered that when getting into the car during Xmas break and finding it was toasty warm, looking at the logs the pre-condition had been on, continuously, for 3 days !)

Lots of 1st world problems to be enjoyed :)

W
I have 3 year old Rolec (both at home and at work), apparently quality has improved, but both mine have needed Sparky visit approx once a year to fix something. I'm about to bin the one at home as I'm fed up with getting up in the morning and finding it decided to stop charging in the middle of the night.

Tesla wall charger will load balance - when you have Two Tesla's on your drive :)

If you are having a Sparky fit a Wall Charger I suggest you also get them to fix a just-in-case Commando Socket. I've used mine every time my Rolec has failed ... and a vising EV could use ti too (although I have never had one, that wasn;t a Tesla :) )

You set the required (i.e. maximum) charge on the dash. Normally you'd probably just leave that alone - e.g. at 90%. Dash also allows a Start Time to be set (which is GPS-aware, so setting it for Home won't delay charging when you plug in at a e.g. a hotel).

Before current V9 software there was also a charge-now button. The Tesla-normal-rubbish QA failed to migrate that to V9, so now you have to disable "scheduled charge" in order to "charge now" ... and then of course you have to remember to re-enable it, at THAT location, next time.

You can adjust AMPS from the dashboard too ... so if you are staying with friends and plugged into their frayed lawn mower extension plugged into a socket in the shed that is falling to bits :rolleyes: then if you find the plug getting hot after 30 minutes just dial-down the AMPS. Best to check the plug temperature before going to bed ;)

Depends a bit how sophisticated you want to get ... I'm a Nerd (programmer by trade) so :

You can set the car to Start at midnight (for E7). (Don't forget to change it to 1AM when Summer Time starts ... no magic-bullet for that)

Car, conveniently, will still start if you come home late after a good party :) I'm not sure how much slack there is, but its "quite a bit" (several hours)

Car will NOT stop at 7AM. Of course most nights midnight-to-7AM is all you need (7kW is about 22 MPH, so 150 miles).

In addition to car's own Scheduled Charge I use a 3rd party utility.

I leave for work at around 05:30, I want the car pre-conditioned before that, and ideally in Winter I would like a warm battery (cold battery has reduced regen for first 10-20 minutes)

My 3rd party scheduler reduces charge limit to 80% at midnight (if I am at home), and then back up to 90% at 04:30 (and restarts charging if stopped) so that the battery is charging, and warming, the last 60 minutes.

It also stops charging at 7AM. If I come home needing more than 150 miles I'll get that the following night on E7 ...

Of course all that means that if I *do* want Max Range tomorrow I have to override something. Typically I want 100% for those days, so I have another (optional) schedule which aims to complete 100% charging shortly before departure (not good to leave battery at 100% charge for hours on end ... nor below 20% either .. so if I arrive below 20% I charge immediately). My 100%-charge schedule also preconditions the car shortly before departure ... and turns OFF precondition if I then don't actually depart :)

(It used to be that pre-condition automatically stopped after 30 minutes, but an update somewhere along the way did away with that and I only discovered that when getting into the car during Xmas break and finding it was toasty warm, looking at the logs the pre-condition had been on, continuously, for 3 days !)

Lots of 1st world problems to be enjoyed :)
Wow, that is EXTRA! You've clearly put a lot of thought into that schedule. Well done. Much too involved for my lifestyle.

Much too involved for my lifestyle.

Really? :) :) :)

I reckon for all bar geeks the standard GPS location charge schedule is all you need. pity Tesla Horlicks'd the "Charge now one time override" button at the V9 update ... maybe it will come back again.

If you want 100% charge as a one-off you can launch that from the APP, manually, at an appropriate time, you can also start the Climate from Phone APP 10 minutes before you want to set off ...

... I'd never remember to do that at the appropriate moment ... or be tucked up in bed ... hence my complicate-and-add-heaviness solution

I was told that the car learns your schedule and will precondition automatically for your normal departure time? Mine always needs turning on from the app, anybody experienced the auto function?

I think you are better having a scheduler that you set how you want it, rather than the car trying to guess what you actually do ...

I don't bother to "unset" mine on Bank Holidays, when i don't actually go to work ... so it preconditions on those days anyway, which isn't great for Waste Energy ...

Do you mean the idea of predicting when you need preconditioning or preconditioning full stop?

Disabling the "smart preconditioning" is one of the first actions to take when you get the car. It simply doesn't work.

Preconditioning itself, whether by manually activating or using a third party scheduler (eg TeslaFi) is brilliant and the envy of all those that don't have it - which is pretty much everyone else :D.

Watching the car defrost and knowing it'll be nice and warm inside is a great way to start the day. On the day we have summer, cooling the car down is equally rewarding but not as noticable from the outside.

Reactions: MP3Mike