Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla House / trailer home / travel trailer / RV

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just stumbled upon this very interesting sounding induction stovetop that I imagine would work very nicely in a mobile setup: Our First Step Towards the Home of the Future - Impulse Blog

It's got a 3 kWh LFP battery pack integrated into the stovetop that can charge over a normal 120v outlet. So it can output higher BTUs than gas without requiring high-voltage wiring.

My only concern would be what happens if you want to cook something over an extended period (e.g. simmering a chicken stock for 6 hours). They say it can last "3 meals" with the power out, but don't say how long they consider a "meal" to be.

Reactions: Buckminster
Just stumbled upon this very interesting sounding induction stovetop that I imagine would work very nicely in a mobile setup: Our First Step Towards the Home of the Future - Impulse Blog

It's got a 3 kWh LFP battery pack integrated into the stovetop that can charge over a normal 120v outlet. So it can output higher BTUs than gas without requiring high-voltage wiring.

My only concern would be what happens if you want to cook something over an extended period (e.g. simmering a chicken stock for 6 hours). They say it can last "3 meals" with the power out, but don't say how long they consider a "meal" to be.
The outlet alone may be able to do that. 120V @ 16 A = 1920 kW @ 85%= 5.6 kBTUk or enough energy to raise 20 pounds of water (~3 gallons) 280 degrees F. If heat loss is less than 5 degrees per minute, you can simmer indefinitely. Worst case, wrap the pot in insulation.

• Helpful
Reactions: willow_hiller
My only concern would be if you want your $5500 to spend on something else. Like an entire kitchen at IKEA. I mean, I love the magnetic knobs. But the cooktop isn’t one flush, easily cleaned surface. Discounted to $5500! Really?

We have considered the IKEA induction cooktops (I think they're coming out with a new model soon, but their previous model is only about $800), but we do not have a nearby 240v outlet. That, and adding one may require a main panel upgrade.

Between a main panel upgrade and running another 240v outlet, I figured the $5.5k was a bit less outlandish.

Reactions: Christine69420
High-drama expandable RV turns off-grid camping into five-star travel
1706975891077.png

I didn't like the Volterra at first, then it Gru on me...
View attachment 1025750View attachment 1025751

The Rivet has 8kWh and 660W, giving "indefinite" off grid time. I'm tall and can't see the double wall low cabinets working out well...
660w. cannot even heat a pot of tea without throwing a breaker
("indefinate" is quite appropriate in a non positive way though)

here's what you need (this may have been posted here or close elsewhere so apologies)

Start - SOLAR BUTTERFLY <==link

the PV panels unfold on both sides (PLUS a Tesla Y)
1709902947507.png

660w. cannot even heat a pot of tea without throwing a breaker
("indefinate" is quite appropriate in a non positive way though)

here's what you need (this may have been posted here or close elsewhere so apologies)

Start - SOLAR BUTTERFLY <==link

the PV panels unfold on both sides (PLUS a Tesla Y)
View attachment 1025756
8kWh battery handles heating the tea, 660W limits average load vs length of "indefinite". Woukd go much longer with a Cybertruck versus the Model X that is towing it.

8kWh battery handles heating the tea, 660W limits average load vs length of "indefinite". Woukd go much longer with a Cybertruck versus the Model X that is towing it.
kinda my point was, If you are going to use PV on a travel trailer RV etc, then go for it, as fuel is free
2009, German students from Darmstadt at solar Decathlon had 5 of 6 sides of 800 ft house covered with ~19kw of PV (technology is way better now)
below picture is _only_ 19kw of PV they were allowed 800 sq ft if i recall correctly. (washington DC mall for 2 weeks)
1709905192371.png