Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla ignoring older cars!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So yes please gimme what I paid for even if it costs the company I paid to get it money.

Original owners still have free 3g premium connectivity, when the original purchase agreements did not lay out a guaranteed end date, so Tesla has eaten that cost for nearly 8 years in the case of my classic Model S, whereas brand new Model 3 Performance owners (that paid nearly as much) pay monthly. Looks like the old cars are getting preferential treatment.

• Funny
Reactions: First EV
My 2015 Model S 70D continues to get updates and new features that the old hardware can handle. Not sure what the OP is talking about. Mine will be 5 years old in Dec and AP1 continues to work great. Range still around 236-240. 4G and supercharging free for life. only complaint..seat too hard for my boney bottom.

Reactions: SmartElectric
As many have pointed out, The Tesla car is basically 60+ computers with wheels attached. Sadly from a technological perspective, the capabilities of the older vehicles, cease to be updated. However, from a resource management view point, the vehicle continues to function with in its technological limitations. That may mean it never becomes fully autonomous. It doesn't end up in landfill like its ICE relatives! As technology advances, as others have pointed out, some of the hardware can be upgraded, the older hardware being properly reused or recycled. Or the vehicle due to it's functional demise because a tree jumped in front of it; reusing, re-purposing, or properly recycling it.
To the credit of Tesla, the journey, pun intended, has been an environmental one; transportation without excessive emissions, and a product life cycle that can reach 500,000 miles without excessive repair and resources. Indeed, we await the million mile life-cycle battery packs! Naturally, there are many who are hoping that the advances in battery technology can be retrofitted into older vehicles with the older packs being re-purposed to more sedentary functions!
To answer the title of the post, perhaps the answer is the technology is passed on to the after market. It is my hope and desire, that the after market picks up the gauntlet of electric vehicle transportation and continues to contribute to the environmental improvement. Of course, realizing there is the challenge of proprietary, intellectual and safety; passing on the information needed to achieve this!

As many have pointed out, The Tesla car is basically 60+ computers with wheels attached. Sadly from a technological perspective, the capabilities of the older vehicles, cease to be updated. However, from a resource management view point, the vehicle continues to function with in its technological limitations. That may mean it never becomes fully autonomous. It doesn't end up in landfill like its ICE relatives! As technology advances, as others have pointed out, some of the hardware can be upgraded, the older hardware being properly reused or recycled. Or the vehicle due to it's functional demise because a tree jumped in front of it; reusing, re-purposing, or properly recycling it.
To the credit of Tesla, the journey, pun intended, has been an environmental one; transportation without excessive emissions, and a product life cycle that can reach 500,000 miles without excessive repair and resources. Indeed, we await the million mile life-cycle battery packs! Naturally, there are many who are hoping that the advances in battery technology can be retrofitted into older vehicles with the older packs being re-purposed to more sedentary functions!
To answer the title of the post, perhaps the answer is the technology is passed on to the after market. It is my hope and desire, that the after market picks up the gauntlet of electric vehicle transportation and continues to contribute to the environmental improvement. Of course, realizing there is the challenge of proprietary, intellectual and safety; passing on the information needed to achieve this!

The Tesla car is basically 60+ computers with wheels attached. Sadly from a technological perspective, the capabilities of the older vehicles, cease to be updated

That is absolutely a false and/or misleading statement.
Our 2013 Model S has had technological improvements during it's life, via firmware updates.

Clarify your statement, did you mean the physical car systems does not have updates, then that too is false, Tesla installed new components on the braking system (no charge) in 2015 based on an updated winter specification.

Nico - How did you get LTE, and for life? My MS P85 was ordered in Jan '14 and delivered end of Feb '14. Have 3G which is struggling. Should I be asking for an upgrade?

Shortly after taking delivery in sept 2014, the next month deliveries included LTE. I paid $500 to upgrade mine (it was offered at the time). turned out that they had to replace the whole screen and i got a better one (i later found out). I am not sure if they offer the upgrade anymore.. find out.

• Informative
That’s the problem. Recently we needed a new MCU. It was covered under warranty. We couldn’t say “Hey, can we pay the extra $2000 and get the MCU2 instead of another MCU1?” I can’t get an MCU2 off a junked car and install it myself either. Voids warranty, and I’m pretty sure I would need Tesla to accept the new MCU as a part of my archaic sedan, which would mean they know I’m modifying the car.

Regardless of how old the vehicle is, owners should be able to schedule retrofitting at whatever expense they want to charge us. If I want the interior refurbished, or changed completely. If I want FSD and autopilot 2.0, I should be able to pay Tesla to update the car. I shouldn’t just shove it in the dresser drawer with my iPhone 5 and 3, and get a new one. Cars should be like commercial planes, in that they are updated every so often, not completely scrapped just because passengers want access to a USB Charger.

I haven't been able to drive my "grounded" 2013 MS since May 29 because I'm waiting for a replacement MCU1, with no idea when it will be available. I'm way beyond frustrated!

• Informative
Huh?!
Tesla is keeping all million cars on the road, if a Model S fails in warranty or out, it can be fixed.
MCU1 is an obvious part that can fail, but it can be replaced with another MCU1 that works, car continues to run fine.
I replaced an ECU on a Ford and that was nearly $1000, 15 years ago! On a FORD!!

You're correct - in theory! I haven't been able to drive my "grounded" 2013 MS since May 29, as I'm still waiting for a replacement CPU1, with no estimate from Tesla as to when it will be available! Way beyond frustrated!

Reactions: First EV