TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

"Tesla Illegally Nabbed Dealer License In Mo., Suit Says"

Discussion in 'News' started by MartinAustin, Jan 26, 2015.

1. MartinAustin

MartinAustin Active Member

2. TexasEV

TexasEV Active Member

3. TexasEV

TexasEV Active Member

#3 TexasEV, Jan 26, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2015
    The auto dealers' attorney was quoted as saying “It disadvantages hundreds of Missouri car dealers who have been doing business for many, many years.”

So I'm confused. I thought the dealers' position was they are so much better for consumers because they provide competition and protect the buyer from the manufacturer. They say their way of selling cars is so much better for consumers, that it should be enshrined in state laws. So how does Tesla selling direct "disadvantage" them? Wouldn't consumers flock to them instead, preferring all the advantages consumers supposedly have when they buy from a dealer? If it disadvantages the dealers, doesn't that mean the advantage goes to the consumer? What other party is there in these transactions?

4. Electric700

Electric700 Member

This is a frivolous lawsuit. Tesla was authorized to sell in Missouri in 2013, and they should be allowed to continue doing so.

5. jvonbokel

jvonbokel John VonBokel

Agreed. Last May they tried to pass a law banning direct sales in MO and failed. Now they're trying to argue that the law already bans direct sales.

- - - Updated - - -

Look, it's TMC's own Liz G in her Model S at the St Louis Auto Show!

6. TexasEV

TexasEV Active Member

In other news, MACS, the Missouri Association of Coffee Shops, filed suit against Starbucks for opening stores selling their own brand of coffee directly to coffee drinkers. "It disadvantages hundreds of Missouri coffee shops who have been doing business for many, many years," the coffee association's attorney said. He added, "If we don't put a stop to this unfair competition, next thing you know Apple could start opening stores to sell iPhones in competition with the corner cell phone store selling the latest flip phone. Where will it end?"

7. Liz G

Liz G P03056

I always enjoy giving money to someone who does nothing for me.

8. rolosrevenge

rolosrevenge Dr. EVS

It's like the old saying goes, "If you can't beat them, sue them..."

9. Canuck

Canuck Active Member

If only they just did nothing. Instead, they try to milk you for every last penny for the vehicle, after which they try to sell you rust proofing, undercoating, paint protecting, VIN etching and the list goes and on to the point that consumers need protection from dealer's scams...

Watch for These Car Dealer Sales Pitches | New Car Buying Guide - Consumer Reports

10. Jackl1956

Jackl1956 Member

11. jvonbokel

jvonbokel John VonBokel

I chuckled at that line. :)