Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla in Alaska

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am a self-proclaimed tech geek and am fascinated by the Tesla X. I see that Tesla is popular in other cold regions Norway, Sweden, etc. is there anybody in Alaska who has purchased a Tesla vehicle and experienced its performance in cold weather?

There are about fourteen Model Ss in The Great Land and, I think, two Roadsters. One in Talkeetna and I believe there is or was one in Juneau.

Shortly there will also be a Model X on the Denali Hwy...... :)

There are about fourteen Model Ss in The Great Land and, I think, two Roadsters. One in Talkeetna and I believe there is or was one in Juneau.

How do you have them serviced? The service center map seems to show a future one in Anchorage. Is there one active now?

I'm looking at 330 miles to the nearest service center but getting service in sprawling Alaska seems really tough!

How do you go about purchasing a Tesla in Alaska

Sounds like you already broke the mold on how to get one up here. Did you order it and have it delivered? Purchase it in Seattle and drive up? How did you license it? I got all kinds o' questions...

There are four or five Model Ss in the Valley (mostly Palmer but surely a few in Wasilla) - you should track at least one of them down. I don't feel comfortable giving out any names/contacts. You also ought to talk to the nearest SCs, which are in Seattle and Bellingham.

Right now, for service, you have to travel to the Lower 48 and probably get a hotel.

If you live in Alaska full time (AudubonB only lives there *half* the time), do not buy a Tesla now. Period. Wait until Tesla builds an Alaska service center. Tesla claims they're going to open a service center in Anchorage "soon". When they do so, then you can buy a Tesla.

I'm curious if you have an update as to if there is an X in AK now?
Do you suppose the 14 and 2 # still valid for the S and roadster count in the state? I ask as a relative is visiting us here in GA and loves our X. She currently lives in Ketchkian.

Tesla will deliver a vehicle to Hawaii for the usual destination charge. Perhaps they'll deliver one to Alaska (we do have a Service Center on the island and over 400 Teslas on this island as well).

Last summer my dog and I drove from the lower 48 to Hyder, AK, and back. As long as there's a string of RV parks along the way and a decent road, you can make it.

How well does Autopilot do with detecting paws on the steering wheel?

icedriver.jpg

Iceman isn't allowed to drive the Tesla. He's restricted to the old Honda until his road manners improve.

Last edited:
View attachment 191204
Iceman isn't allowed to drive the Tesla. He's restricted to the old Honda until his road manners improve.

I personally prefer 9-3 hand placement, however Iceman appears to be doing all the things that Tesla says should be done while driving in Autopilot mode. This is what would disqualify my cats from using autopilot, as they can't pay attention or stay awake for more than 5 minutes at a time.

• Funny
Reactions: EVie'sDad
I'm curious if you have an update as to if there is an X in AK now?
Do you suppose the 14 and 2 # still valid for the S and roadster count in the state? I ask as a relative is visiting us here in GA and loves our X. She currently lives in Ketchkian.
Greetings from Anchorage, I am buying a Model S in Seattle and would like to drive it to Prince Rupert to catch
the Ferry in Whittier, Do you know if this has been done before. Thanks Norman

Don't believe everything you read. Our Roadster was repaired and continues to drive the roads in Alaska! We have added a 90D this past year and love them both. Buy online. Tesla will send them up by ship to Anchorage. The ranger comes occasionally to Anchorage for service but we did shipped the Roadster to Seattle once for repairs after my accident. Also took it to Seattle by ferry from Whitier once. That was a great trip. We live full time in Alaska and have for over 30 years. The Anchorage service center has been "coming soon" for at least 3 years. Don't let that stop you from owning a great car in the 49th state.

What was it like arranging for a ranger to service your car? It sounds like a good compromise, though perhaps pretty expensive?
Rangers come on a regular basis (twice a year? Maybe) and I believe there is no charge for travel if you bring your car to them in Anchorage. They have an arrangement in someone else's shop where they can work on cars. In the "old days" it was $1/mile travel charge and that got a little spendy. I have learned a lot about keeping our Roadster going in the 5+! years we have owned her. The Model S has been perfect and no need for service yet.

• Informative
Reactions: jbcarioca
To answer a question from post #10: I know of another Model X order-er (we've deferred ours indefinitely) in AK - someone in Juneau. I've not kept up with him and have no info on if it's there or not.