Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla in Alaska

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What some have said is entirely contrary to my experience in front wheel drive cars, rear wheel drive, AWD, and 4WD. I drive the wintery roads of Alaska in all conditions. We will just be talking about driving on snow and ice here with a high powered vehicle. Please try to remember that fact if you answer any questions, and don't argue the points if you do not have extensive experience on ice in a high powered vehicle being pushed to its limits.

Front Wheel Drive: This is safer for some drivers as it tends to understeer under acceleration in icy conditions. (vs Oversteer which the general public does not know how to safely deal with.) The FWD adversely affects handling in most other situations as any significant input of power will give you torque steer.
"Torque steering is the influence of engine torque on the steering, especially in front-wheel drive vehicles with transversely mounted engines. For example, during heavy acceleration the steering may pull to one side, which may be disturbing to the driver." Wiki

Rear Wheel Drive: Any input of power will immediately oversteer the vehicle, even in a BMW with perfect 50/50 weight distribution. If it is really slick, it may put you into a 360 into oncoming traffic. Traction control and stability control largely mitigates this on new cars. You can even see jokers doing this on dry pavement in supercars. Race car drivers like it, as they have the option of power sliding in curves, which is better than understeering. Not so good on a public road. The Tesla Model 3 should be putting a lot of power to the rear wheels. How good is stability control and traction control on the other Tesla models?

4WD: Works great driving in snow, mud, and on ice. However, some situations require special techniques. You can't turn corners on a dry surface without binding ups the drive system. A common problem for me is an icy side street hill pulling out for a right turn onto a dry highway. The hill makes 4wd necessary to get moving on the ice, but the turn binds the drive system. Thankfully a switch on the dash allows me to disengage the full time 4WD before making the turn, but after getting moving.

AWD: Each manufacturer has a different take on the computer control and hardware for this system. Some may be just a fluid coupler between the front and rear wheels combined with traction control (applying brakes to a spinning wheel). Some are sophisticated computerized systems, as on the class-leading Subaru. My experience is mostly with a Honda Pilot. I really never knew it was there, and it was almost impossible to get stuck.

My reason for preferring AWD on the Tesla is I think the great amount of torque will cause a lot of wheel spin, unless there is a really good traction control system in place. That being said, good traction on slow is 90% your tires. Any vehicle will do fine in Alaska with proper tires and common sense. The best tires are the Michelin X-ice and the Bridgestone Blizzak WS80, even better than studs in studies.

Don't believe everything you read. Our Roadster was repaired and continues to drive the roads in Alaska! We have added a 90D this past year and love them both. Buy online. Tesla will send them up by ship to Anchorage. The ranger comes occasionally to Anchorage for service but we did shipped the Roadster to Seattle once for repairs after my accident. Also took it to Seattle by ferry from Whitier once. That was a great trip. We live full time in Alaska and have for over 30 years. The Anchorage service center has been "coming soon" for at least 3 years. Don't let that stop you from owning a great car in the 49th state.

As small as the Roadster is, I might have thought you could fly it to Anchorage out of "Talkeetna Intercontinental Airport". :)

hYvAumrxkKwAYJNqBF83heyHE1yvmczRN3wSowLry4OQ4hmaKQGbFig-ZuLw604es2Kwi6Tt1pr1b0fehacFj8uGNbIKnNpCum2rn1dRVGwdrjRW5-RC-exUabjbhQxaHGet6KkILVJgP7yU3WlD7y4TqIT-PsWtK-3qlVGPXjxxGBlkX-JFzWcagH8irLnklc4q0k0piZPw5jI8b6suAamI1pKUJc024oXCd2-X91uj-8GO02-rB8FkItBesYxKM9GOQ2EjvwNebvvL-NmPPcHSdD-5CICQZ_ZLcDp58odSBiYBGeigfQm-Q-tNWfC6Gc1DJbOo7InFDxwX2Q0i-u_TsuNK2MYItprMyZVjJcYY-qfoCnUt6btNmfCf8_7b34w2BYdaa1ICo5ygkOPUZdMuNbb5JMRmBw4P8BnJNtSMPCwUfD57u8e2pHajAY21L1GJskpphfp4K95jdl3oUTBt--BlachQ7acB1Glz6zjpNvOEg9ZMR9--b1HKp8MvWouY4b4tWRH1JarJimWiQfpwNfW3cqh1pWZGQgy2OtNsyfZi1Wz-pgeSngBPmI_1MmxT2PWfd6MkCXPE3YEtluWq-p43MgzhdcSl6-Lfnl7_cf14jY1RtEI4umnpnX5wqkoOPKsoyskOM4_NnJsrach79kJOEZ7LQIokfVksyw=w1258-h943-no

We enjoyed our visit, but it would have been even better if we had been able to see you cruising the main drag in your Roadster.

A Ranger is in Anchorage this week. They are supposed to make twice yearly visits to Anchorage for service. You should probably join the Alaska owners email group once you have your car. The Ranger told me once there are a minimum number of cars Tesla would station someone here more often.

Hey guys!

I am moving to Anchorage in a few weeks and I was wondering how much I should expect on the delivery fee if i buy a CPO Model S.
Also ( stupid question) now that I will be a resident of Alaska is there a certain period of time I have to wait to take advantage of no sales tax on the vehicle?
Sorry if I sound stupid this move is taking me over 4500 miles and Ive never had to pay taxes on a vehicle.:rolleyes:o_O

Hey guys!

I am moving to Anchorage in a few weeks and I was wondering how much I should expect on the delivery fee if i buy a CPO Model S.
Also ( stupid question) now that I will be a resident of Alaska is there a certain period of time I have to wait to take advantage of no sales tax on the vehicle?
Sorry if I sound stupid this move is taking me over 4500 miles and Ive never had to pay taxes on a vehicle.:rolleyes:o_O
Bear in mind that sales tax is determined by where the sale takes place. If you take delivery and conclude the sale in Alaska, no tax. If you take ownership in another state and then ship the car to Alaska, you will be taxed according to the laws of the state in which the sale occurred.

That is great advice I am going to be in Tampa Florida for a few weeks before heading to Anchorage and i was thinking about buying it while on vacation. Good thing I dodged that bullet. What should I expect to pay roughly for the charger installation/electric bill? I assume Alaska has higher utility costs.

Charger installation costs depend on the particulars at your charging location (house, garage). You will actually be installing an EVSE. The charger is part of the car. Tesla’s Wall Connector” is the way to go. Buy it with the car and have them put it in the car when shipping to you. Alternatively you could have a range receptacle installed and use the portable cord from Tesla. My employer is an authorized Tesla EVSE installer in Anchorage so PM me for contact info once you are ready for that if you like. Anchorage has two electric utilities depending on where you live. I think we pay about .15/kwh. Electricity is probably more expensive than FL but don’t worry, gas is too! There is now a local Tesla Owners Alaska group with a Facebook page if you are interested in connecting with other owners in the state. Welcome!

Bear in mind that sales tax is determined by where the sale takes place. If you take delivery and conclude the sale in Alaska, no tax. If you take ownership in another state and then ship the car to Alaska, you will be taxed according to the laws of the state in which the sale occurred.
That is true in general terms... I bought a CPO and picked it up in N.J. just to avoid the sales tax that I would have been charged had I picked it up in Boston(my first choice). I bought a Volt last year in Seattle and they have an agreement with Alaska where I was not charged sales tax. CPO shipping to AK was $5k as of this spring... click on the "calculate transportation cost" button and insert an Alaskan zip code. If that is still the case it will be cheaper for you to have the Seattle Tesla store drop the car off at a shipper's parking lot in Seattle and pay for the shipping yourself. My Volt last year cost $1,200 to ship to Anchorage. The dealership dropped it off at the shippers and I picked it up in Anchorage and payed for the shipping at that time.

Charger installation costs depend on the particulars at your charging location (house, garage). You will actually be installing an EVSE. The charger is part of the car. Tesla’s Wall Connector” is the way to go. Buy it with the car and have them put it in the car when shipping to you. Alternatively you could have a range receptacle installed and use the portable cord from Tesla. My employer is an authorized Tesla EVSE installer in Anchorage so PM me for contact info once you are ready for that if you like. Anchorage has two electric utilities depending on where you live. I think we pay about .15/kwh. Electricity is probably more expensive than FL but don’t worry, gas is too! There is now a local Tesla Owners Alaska group with a Facebook page if you are interested in connecting with other owners in the state. Welcome!

Can you send the details for the Alaska Owners Group? My family is moving to Alaska in January for work and we have been trying to figure out the best way to get our MX 75D to Anchorage...in January. It doesn't seem possible to drive, even if we took the ferry up to Haines, AK from Seattle and drove the rest of the way to Anchorage. I am also worried about proper care being taken with our MX if we used a vehicle transport company (being that most people have never seen a Tesla, much less driven one), although I'd be less worried shipping from Seattle versus Texas, which is where we are now. Any advice helps. Thanks in advance and I look forward to connecting with you via the Alaska Owners Group.

That is true in general terms... I bought a CPO and picked it up in N.J. just to avoid the sales tax that I would have been charged had I picked it up in Boston(my first choice). I bought a Volt last year in Seattle and they have an agreement with Alaska where I was not charged sales tax. CPO shipping to AK was $5k as of this spring... click on the "calculate transportation cost" button and insert an Alaskan zip code. If that is still the case it will be cheaper for you to have the Seattle Tesla store drop the car off at a shipper's parking lot in Seattle and pay for the shipping yourself. My Volt last year cost $1,200 to ship to Anchorage. The dealership dropped it off at the shippers and I picked it up in Anchorage and payed for the shipping at that time.

What company did you use to ship your Volt to Anchorage and how long did it take?