Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla in the Pikes Peak hill climb

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've been following Pobst since he wrecked the first car. Impossible not to like the guy.

The Plaid is FAST. I wouldn't be surprised to see Pobst break 10 min tomorrow. The hardest part of driving those cars seems to me to be the sirens.
There's little to no reason to believe Randy wouldn't have broken 10 min on the full course. By how much nobody knows.

I 'm a motorsports fan and appreciate Mobile 1 sponsoring the race. However, it wasn't a coincidence that they cut to commercial during what is unarguably the most disruptive run up the mountain since the races' inception. It wasn't a coincidence that the announcers didn't speak of Randy's run much.

6:57 for the section ran in a 4-door family sedan borders on unbelievable. Watch for more Plaid cars coming to other races soon.

Plaid will break auto racing like Jet boats broke Unlimited Hydroplaning in the 80's.

(moderator note)

As thrilling as the ride along video was ( and I got an adrenaline rush from watching the 360 youtube video this morning), this is about the model S plaid, and not the model 3. As such, the "right" place for it, is the model S driving dynamics subforum, not the model 3 version of same subform. I am moving it there, and will leave a 3 day pointer to it so people coming here for it will see it there.

(moderator note)

As thrilling as the ride along video was ( and I got an adrenaline rush from watching the 360 youtube video this morning), this is about the model S plaid, and not the model 3. As such, the "right" place for it, is the model S driving dynamics subforum, not the model 3 version of same subform. I am moving it there, and will leave a 3 day pointer to it so people coming here for it will see it there.
Doesn't matter to me where the thread is, but Dai ran an M3 and Randy planned to. The S was a last minute submission. Just an FYI.

(moderator note)

Two Model 3's ran in the race. Dai Yoshihara and Joshua Allen both piloted Model 3's in the Pikes Peak Hill Climb.

Joshua Allen did well, Dai's car suffered an unexpected electrical problem and finished last in its class.

(moderator note)

Two Model 3's ran in the race. Dai Yoshihara and Joshua Allen both piloted Model 3's in the Pikes Peak Hill Climb.

Joshua Allen did well, Dai's car suffered an unexpected electrical problem and finished last in its class.

That may be the case, but I read this thread, and the bulk of the discussion (and video) is about the model S plaid and randy probst. I also could have moved it to a general tesla section since it is about multiple different vehicles, but assumed people would rather it be in one of the vehicle sections, so picked the one with the most activity / discussion in the thread.

Reactions: SDBob
But the plaid was beaten by a 1996 BMW M3 by 10 sec.
Erm, lol.

Did you do any research before posting this? That Bimmerworld E36 is a purpose built hill climb car with 1,300HP and insane aero. Calling an 1996 BMW M3 at this point isn't even a fair description.

Not to mention, that car has to have $300k+ in it at this point.

Erm, lol.

Did you do any research before posting this? That Bimmerworld E36 is a purpose built hill climb car with 1,300HP and insane aero. Calling an 1996 BMW M3 at this point isn't even a fair description.

He saw the times and thought "God damn, 25 years later and the E36 still can't be beat."

Reactions: SDBob
Erm, lol.

I'm looking at this differently. I think Bimmerworld should be given credit where it's due. They did have an amazing elapsed time. They were faster than Plaid, as were 9 other entrants. We all know they didn't prep their car in 4 days, and we all know all the other factors that put that BMW in the Pikes Peak Open Class, in which they scored an impressive 3rd place.

Nothing wrong with 3rd place in class. Better than I could do. They should celebrate every chance they get that they're still in the same universe with the new paradigm. They should celebrate while they can, as obsolescence is a real SOB. It changes men. Let's be as gentle as possible. ;)

Erm, lol.

Ok. But Tesla is a $600 billion company. Whose David and whose Goliath?
I’m sure Tesla have spent at least $300K on this racing project. Plus they have one of the best Pikes Peak drivers to pilot. I doubt he drives for free.
As see in F1 getting traction from aerodynamics is much better then getting traction from the weight of the battery as in Formula E. I think we are seeing the best of the plaid on the peak. An internal combustion engine can be built for more power per lb then an EV can. With all of this said I’m not anti-EV. They are great for commuting and sporty driving. But Tesla needs to be careful and not overplay this area of marketing. It came it dominated exhibition class and they should leave. I think they did the same with the Nurburgring. I doubt they are going back there as a factory team.

I’m sure Tesla have spent at least $300K on this racing project. Plus they have one of the best Pikes Peak drivers to pilot. I doubt he drives for free.
As see in F1 getting traction from aerodynamics is much better then getting traction from the weight of the battery as in Formula E. I think we are seeing the best of the plaid on the peak. An internal combustion engine can be built for more power per lb then an EV can. With all of this said I’m not anti-EV. They are great for commuting and sporty driving. But Tesla needs to be careful and not overplay this area of marketing. It came it dominated exhibition class and they should leave. I think they did the same with the Nurburgring. I doubt they are going back there as a factory team.

I'm looking at this differently. I think Bimmerworld should be given credit where it's due. They did have an amazing elapsed time. They were faster than Plaid, as were 9 other entrants. We all know they didn't prep their car in 4 days, and we all know all the other factors that put that BMW in the Pikes Peak Open Class, in which they scored an impressive 3rd place.

Nothing wrong with 3rd place in class. Better than I could do. They should celebrate every chance they get that they're still in the same universe with the new paradigm. They should celebrate while they can, as obsolescence is a real SOB. It changes men. Let's be as gentle as possible. ;)

Don't get me wrong. I love the Bergsteiger. In fact, I would take it over the Plaid any day, any time. It's a phenomenal build and an incredible track machine. The Plaid is also fantastic in its own right, and I think UP did a great job.

This makes even less sense then your first post. Unplugged Performance ran this car, not a factory Tesla team. I highly doubt UP spent $300k on this car. It's a $120,000 car that they stripped, put a roll cage in, and tacked on some parts they already make for the Model S. Maybe that cost them $50k at most? And despite the fact that it was thrown together at the last minute, it performed exceedingly well.

Having met Randy personally, while he may not drive for free, he does this stuff because he loves it - not for the money.

And I am still confused - Tesla did not "market" this run at Pikes Peak as if they did it themselves.

At the end of the day, you're comparing apples and oranges here, and I am not even sure what the point is.

Don't get me wrong. I love the Bergsteiger. In fact, I would take it over the Plaid any day, any time. It's a phenomenal build and an incredible track machine. The Plaid is also fantastic in its own right, and I think UP did a great job.

This makes even less sense then your first post. Unplugged Performance ran this car, not a factory Tesla team. I highly doubt UP spent $300k on this car. It's a $120,000 car that they stripped, put a roll cage in, and tacked on some parts they already make for the Model S. Maybe that cost them $50k at most? And despite the fact that it was thrown together at the last minute, it performed exceedingly well.

Having met Randy personally, while he may not drive for free, he does this stuff because he loves it - not for the money.

And I am still confused - Tesla did not "market" this run at Pikes Peak as if they did it themselves.

At the end of the day, you're comparing apples and oranges here, and I am not even sure what the point is.
I think I confused this attempt along with the Nurburgring test runs in 2019 which I think were from the factory.
I guess there will be more attempts in the future for the plaid. Do you think it can improve substantially more?