Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla inconsistency and timelines for PTO...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After sitting at PG&E for over 2 weeks, they finally rejected and sent back to Tesla. PG&E would not explain exactly what was missing, other then something wrong with the diagram. I will try to call Tesla later, but not really expecting any resolution anytime soon. Going on 8 weeks past install.

super frustrating process. I actually ordered mine back in 5/2020. Took them some back and forths to fix my order, and was fully signed 7/2020. For some reason they just dragged on and on and making one mistake after another and after a failed installation attempt, finally got it installed on 4/20/2021 and inspected 4/30/2021. Now after twice weekly calls about my PTO, still waiting for them to submit it. I have Edison in my area who told me its only about 5 days for them to approve the PTO.
Mind sharing what went wrong with your install? I am currently in that situation. On 04/30, Tesla installed 2 PW2 + 1 GW at home, but, most of the loads in the home not wired up to the backup load center. I'm having a tough time getting Tesla to come and fix it. On 05/01, they sent me an email saying that they scheduled the city inspector to come by on 05/02 and inspect my system. I told them to not proceed with the inspection until the installation issues have been fixed.

Reactions: h2ofun
as an extreme example, see my timeline here:

Reactions: brian.c
3 weeks at PG&E, still no approval. Called PG&E today, can't tell me if they received a response from Tesla on the deficiency notice sent on 6/28. Tesla said it was sent on the same day PG&E had responded (6/28). PG&E said would take 7-10 days once they receive the response, but can't tell me if they actually received the response from Tesla. What a joke, seems like both companies are completely unorganized.

4 weeks at PG&E, still no approval. Tesla advisor now says it was sent overnight via FedEx yesterday. No clue what is going on with this. The application was originally submitted to PG&E on 6/11. I know there was a deficiency notice sent back to Tesla on 6/28. He said it was sent FedEx to expedite, but really have to question what is going on. Seems to me that using the online portal would be quicker, and safer. FedEx shows it was delivered today... Now I have to wonder if the entire process starts over with PG&E. Pretty obvious at this point that Tesla keeps dropping the ball over and over.

Now I have to wonder if the entire process starts over with PG&E.
Yes. As soon as PG&E gets new data a 30 day clocks starts. It does not mean it will take 30 days, but they don't consider a response over due until 30 days has expired from the last item sent to them.

Any idea what they sent via FedEx? I always thought it was all done via the portal too.

Yes. As soon as PG&E gets new data a 30 day clocks starts. It does not mean it will take 30 days, but they don't consider a response over due until 30 days has expired from the last item sent to them.

Any idea what they sent via FedEx? I always thought it was all done via the portal too.
Sounds to me like everything was resent. I know a couple times I called, PG&E stated they were missing things. Other times I called they had everything. When I spoke with a PG&E supervisor, she eventually was able to find everything, but seemed like she was having a hard time locating some of the plans. So I am wondering if this is why they decided to resend everything via FedEx. I was surprised and asked the Tesla advisor why, his response was that was done to expedite the process. Only thing I can think of is, whoever from Tesla that submitted through the website screwed it all up, and only way they thought could be fixed was resubmit everything via FedEx shipment. The Tesla advisor did say the application was approved, so I guess now we are at technical review, or maybe even the implementation process. Who knows at this point. I will say though, its much more pleasant talking with Tesla then PG&E. The advisor was very helpful etc, apologized but could not say for sure what the hold up was, or who was at fault.

• Informative
Reactions: aesculus
Today finally received PTO from PG&E. Still not sure what the hold up was, but sounds to me like some issues with the documents. I have to wonder if something else went wrong from the installers. When the installers were out, they mentioned something about needing to deviate from the plans, said no big deal though, and they would be resubmitted. Makes me wonder, if that resubmitting screwed everything up. Either way, its done, and look forward to generating all my energy needs for both our Model Y and home. Ordered Mar 2nd, PTO Jul 15th.

Today finally received PTO from PG&E. Still not sure what the hold up was, but sounds to me like some issues with the documents. I have to wonder if something else went wrong from the installers. When the installers were out, they mentioned something about needing to deviate from the plans, said no big deal though, and they would be resubmitted. Makes me wonder, if that resubmitting screwed everything up. Either way, its done, and look forward to generating all my energy needs for both our Model Y and home. Ordered Mar 2nd, PTO Jul 15th.
Congrats on getting PTO!!!
To me, PTO is a typical municipal project signoff. The paperwork time vastly exceeds the actual work (design + installation) time.

Reactions: brian.c
Is there any easy way to tell if they have submitted the app for PTO? I paid on June 28 and my account page hasn't changed in status. Still has a link to the invoice and next step as "we are in process of obtaining PTO from your utility provider"
I received an email from my utility once it was submitted. You can also try and call, what utility? Have you signed an interconnection agreement? This was the first step when they were prepping to submit. I received that in my account about 3-4 weeks after payment.

SCE. I signed the Interconnect agreement back when I ordered.

I can't call Tesla because my project manager extension is gone from the page and I can't get past the auto attendant without it.
Yes, they screwed that up when the designed the order status page. I did finally find it. Click the ? in the lower right hand corner of the page. That will pop up a box for you to type in a question. Type anything in the box even a single letter and your project manager and contact information appears on the bottom of the list that is generated.

SCE. I signed the Interconnect agreement back when I ordered.

I can't call Tesla because my project manager extension is gone from the page and I can't get past the auto attendant without it.
Interesting, I never saw my interconnection agreement until about a month after install. I would try to call the standard solar number. I never once was able to speak with my advisor, and she rarely ever replied to emails. I would simply call in and get whoever on the phone.

One PG&E solar employee told me they have to respond to requests within 30 days. I don't know if that was a goal or a PUC requirement.

And if they respond that they need additional information, the 30 day clock restarts when the new information is returned. So you can easily see how between Tesla and PG&E, time can build very rapidly if they both delay.
It's been 5 months+ since my solar was installed and approved shortly thereafter. Tesla blames PG&E, PG&E blames Tesla and I'm stuck in the middle. I was in self consumption mode for a few weeks then suddenly turned off remotely by Tesla. Was able to convince them to turn it back on only to have it shut down again weeks later. Zero transparency and no clear answer as to when it will be resolved. So incredibly frustrating.

It's been 5 months+ since my solar was installed and approved shortly thereafter. Tesla blames PG&E, PG&E blames Tesla and I'm stuck in the middle. I was in self consumption mode for a few weeks then suddenly turned off remotely by Tesla. Was able to convince them to turn it back on only to have it shut down again weeks later. Zero transparency and no clear answer as to when it will be resolved. So incredibly frustrating.
If you can, ask the PG&E solar phoneline to tell you exactly what is missing or in dispute. Even better if they would send you what Tesla submitted. In my case Tesla was submitting bogus information that had nothing to do with my install that was causing PG&E concern, when they did get around to sending anything.

I think I would also send a note to the CAPUC (not sure where) letting them know of your situation too.

Reactions: jboy210