Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

small screen delaminating, two options, need advice

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2015 MS 85D, drives like Day 1. 48K, no dings, no rattles, battery better than 80%. Three issues to date: two door handles and one trunk latch, all fixed at home.

Now I find the small screen beginning to delaminate. I wanted this fixed before my extended warranty runs out in three months. I made an appointment; the estimate came back with $500 for "infotainment radio" and $1750 for "infotainment." (!?)

No mention of my small-screen problem, so I assumed they've gotten their customers mixed up so over to Palo Alto SC where I learned they are proposing to replace BOTH screens which entails a software upgrade. This is an option; I can decline it and just get the small screen replaced under warranty, or pay to get two new screens plus an upgrade that "would make the screens more responsive."

I'm undecided whether to exercise the option. I noted in the early days of this forum that people were having problems with their big screens and the prices to replace them were higher than they would have liked. Heading into the warrantless future with a new big screen could be a good thing.

On the other hand I hate to fix something that ain't broke. My big screen works fine and is perfectly responsive. Whatever the infotainment thing is, I probably don't want it.

I'm wondering if big screens tend to fail or last forever once they've made it to eight years. I'm wondering of there's anything useful in this infotainment upgrade.

I'm inclined to go for it, but I hate to mess with a system that's working perfectly. Advice?

You have to pay separately for the FM radio on MCU2, Your quote confirms this

The MCU2 is significantly faster. I'm glad I upgraded.

What is your deductible for the extended warranty? I'd almost make them replace the small screen under warranty, and then turn around and buy the MCU2 later. Just because I think it's crap that they are pushing an upsell for a fix they should be responsible to fix.

Reactions: zoomer0056
I now understand that this is called a MCU2 upgrade. Some say this results in all kinds of grief, others like it.

I'm not clear about FM radio -- would I lose it? What about my lifetime connectivity?
They replace both screens with the upgrade.
You keep lifetime connectivity.
FM is gone unless you buy the FM radio option with new MCU2.

I upgraded and did not get the FM option. I don't miss FM at all. You can always add it later.

Reactions: zoomer0056
If you're still satisfied by how your car's computer is functioning (response time, functions that are important to you), then I would take the free option of having your small screen (I think you mean instrument cluster screen) replaced under your extended warranty. The prices you are being offered for the MCU2 infotainment upgrade aren't discounted, and so if you change your mind later, you can choose to pay for that upgrade anytime. (bearing in mind that Tesla could increase the MCU2 price at any time in the future).

I chose to pay out of pocket for my instrument cluster screen to be replaced, because I'm satisfied with my MCU1 performance and don't need fancy infotainment options like Netflix and games. I also use my FM radio all the time and didn't want to pay an extra $500 to keep it. If my center screen had been failing at the same time, however, I would have upgraded to MCU2 because it includes replacement of both screens.

Reactions: aerodyne
Thanks to all for the thoughtful replies.

A lot newer tech! -- sure, but what does that mean for me? When I love my car the way it is...

I especially thank Wally, who's been pretty much where I am. So if I've got this straight: I can still get the MCU2 upgrade in the future and it includes a new big screen. (?)

If that's the case it's a no-brainer: I get a new instrument cluster (thanks for the correction) and do the upgrade if and when I really need it.