Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla just announced 9% staffing cuts.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What bolded language? I did not type anything in bold, and I certainly never said I was a shareholder and am not a short seller of the stock either. I am an options trader and hold both calls and puts on TSLA at the moment. I have been having a ball with this rollercoaster ride! <snip>

Seriously? You are a well-known permabear/short on Seeking Alpha, but the posts on TMC are clear enough. Anyone can hedge a short option position but that doesn't change the facts.

Tesla is an anomaly. In my 40+ years of stock market investing I have never seen a bubble stock like Tesla. I believed it was already overvalued last year at $190. So, of course, I still believe so today. We all know Tesla lost somewhere between $400-500M in Q3. We will find out for sure in 11 days. God forbid, it gets to breakeven because the stock would surely tank at that point with a P/E of 300 or more when compared to AAPL @ 17 and GM @ 7.

Not even remotely accurate. VA and I have opposing views on Tesla stock. While I have high hopes for the company overall, their stock price is ludicrous.

As a perma-bear for the present time, I can tell you I have had a number of rejected articles. Others had to be re-written several times before approved for publication. But I learn with each new article what their hot buttons are now. I am not sure they have time to read every link, but you sure better have them in order to back up any assertions. And if an article is challenged they will pull it unless you can quickly answer the challenge. So if you see something questionable, challenge it. They will be held accountable.

Last edited:
According to Musk Tesla does not need another issuance from here on out to reach profitability this year.

However these layoffs are just one of several things happening right now that appear to be aimed at giving the company a cash infusion and a cost cut.

1. Layoffs
2. Very aggressive promises of delivery in 4-6 months for those reserving today.
3. Possibly questionable labeling of features as FSD that some might view as EAP features.

We will see but next six months won’t be boring (ha!).
I was thrown by Elon's post on Sunday. FSD "features"? Either FSD works at Level 4 or 5 or it doesn't. People have prepaid for a working system. Not a few features. Features are something being added to EAP along the way. As the website says. You will not have FSD until Tesla has regulatory approval for the system. No way that is coming in two months.

If this is a way to prevent refunds as leases begin expiring and taking those funds into revenue in August, I think Tesla will get pushback from all sides. And at the shareholder meeting Musk cut the wait time for new orders for current configuration to 3-4 months. That created quite a stir on M3OC amongst those already in line who have been given longer time estimates. You can also imagine how well that went over with the SR first day line waiters.

I was thrown by Elon's post on Sunday. FSD "features"? Either FSD works at Level 4 or 5 or it doesn't. People have prepaid for a working system. Not a few features. Features are something being added to EAP along the way. As the website says. You will not have FSD until Tesla has regulatory approval for the system. No way that is coming in two months.

If this is a way to prevent refunds as leases begin expiring and taking those funds into revenue in August, I think Tesla will get pushback from all sides. And at the shareholder meeting Musk cut the wait time for new orders for current configuration to 3-4 months. That created quite a stir on M3OC amongst those already in line who have been given longer time estimates. You can also imagine how well that went over with the SR first day line waiters.

FSD features, very obviously, would be things:
1) which would not require supervision (even if required by law)
2) especially those enabled by having the 8 cameras instead of 4, with the additional 4 cameras providing redundancy.

FSD _overall_ means Level 4 or 5 driving, but _features_ would imply introduction of Level 3.

Seriously? You are a well-known permabear/short on Seeking Alpha, but the posts on TMC are clear enough. Anyone can hedge a short option bet but that doesn't change the facts.
Hey, thank you for making my point! Could not have done better myself.

FYI: At SA when you submit an article you must choose either short or long. If you read my notes it clearly states "short via put options". There is no way to select both long and short (calls and puts) So I go by largest volume held. Technically, being an options trader is neither "short" or "long" the stock. Options are merely a directional bet on the stock price for a given period of time. But SA's software will not allow the field to be left blank. If you know anything about investing you now there is a WORLD of difference between put options and shorting a stock. Risk being the biggest.

Seems you are the one bolding my text...

FSD features, very obviously, would be things:
1) which would not require supervision (even if required by law)
2) especially those enabled by having the 8 cameras instead of 4, with the additional 4 cameras providing redundancy.

FSD _overall_ means Level 4 or 5 driving, but _features_ would imply introduction of Level 3.
So since this was started as a cash infusion discussion, in your opinion would Level 3 features satisfy you if you had given Tesla $3,000 for FSD or if your lease was ending would you want a refund?

But if it is just about cash infusions, people are dying to throw Tesla $2,500 each to configure their Model 3's just with the current configuration not counting AWD and P buyers. But no new invites (as of yesterday) have been issued since 4/28. It just does not make sense to me to open the FSD can of worms this soon.

Last edited:
Hey, thank you for making my point! Could not have done better myself.

FYI: At SA when you submit an article you must choose either short or long. If you read my notes it clearly states "short via put options". ... <snip>

The bold language sums it up. Thank you to the SEC for requiring clear conflict disclosures.

The rest of your post is just obfuscation.

I've made my point so I'm out. Feel free to continue spreading FUD.

• Helpful
Reactions: skitown
I used to think that was where Tesla was headed. But they post very little inventory online forcing you to call in and talk to a salesperson, who may or may not get back to you. I still do not understand why. Why can't I just see the inventory, and then decide how far I am willing to travel to go see/buy a given car.
Right now they are trying to limit inventory orders so they don't hit 200,000 US deliveries before July. I would think we'd start seeing inventory showing up online any day now.

Right now they are trying to limit inventory orders so they don't hit 200,000 US deliveries before July. I would think we'd start seeing inventory showing up online any day now.
This has been an issue for many months, not just as we approach 200K. Back last fall I was thinking of a new Model S75 before the D became the only choice. I knew what I wanted but it was not to be found on the website which gets pulled over to EV-CPO.com. The website's on-line helper suggested I call my local sales office. Sure enough, there were two exact cars I wanted in Maryland and one In New York. So why weren't they on the online inventory? No one would give me a straight answer. It was my belief that they did not want anyone to know just how many cars were in inventory. Kind of silly since they report production and deliveries each quarter. So it is simple to build a spreadsheet to track cars in inventory globally.

Last night the website showed 1 new Model S in inventory in the entire U.S... seriously? What happened to all the showroom cars and test drive units? As far as July 1, if I found a car to buy today it would probably take that long to get here to Florida anyway.

Everyone claims to hate the dealership experience and would prefer a completely online experience. Yet Tesla forces customers to contact a human salesperson and rely on them to do the search. This is only required to buy an existing car. Then you start to wonder are they telling you about all cars or the ones Tesla wants to push out first?

Last edited:
Reactions: HankLloydRight
According to Musk Tesla does not need another issuance from here on out to reach profitability this year.
Yeah, I've heard that from him. But I expect that he's just wordsmithing...lack of a 'need' doesn't mean he won't raise capital because he 'wants' to do so. It's never wise to wait to raise capital until it is needed. Each time I've watched Tesla do a secondary stock offering in the past few years, the stock goes up anyway (as bankruptcy risk perception abates). I hope that Tesla raises capital soon; bury the shorts once and for all.

The tax credit reducing the price was a huge selling point, when you take that away some will walk. Only time will tell how it will affect sales.
That's what people said when the tax credits went away for hybrids and it had almost no noticeable effect. The reality is that many of the people that are relying on a big tax credit to be able to afford a moderately priced Model 3 don't have a large enough tax liability to even qualify for the entire tax credit anyway.

That's what people said when the tax credits went away for hybrids and it had almost no noticeable effect. The reality is that many of the people that are relying on a big tax credit to be able to afford a moderately priced Model 3 don't have a large enough tax liability to even qualify for the entire tax credit anyway.

I was not even thinking of the Model 3, since I have no interested in an overpriced electric Civic.

My bet is that it will hurt Model S and X sales, but by how much, no one really knows.