Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla just announced 9% staffing cuts.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
People seem to forget (or not understand)
sales NOT= inventory
production NOT= sales

production, inventory(demo cars and used cars), sales(paid for deliveries) are not the same.

$7,500 federal tax credit (200,000 cars) for US sales only.

Just to be clear the $7,500 federal tax credit has no limit on the number of cars it applies to. You can sell 5,000,000 cars with that credit if you can pump 4,800,000 them out in the time period allowed (6 months).

200,000 is a just a trigger for the countdown not the actual cutoff.

Entirely possible that Tesla sells as many or more cars in the July 1 2018 to Dec 31 2018 period at full tax credit as they did in the 2010 to 2018 period it took to do the first 200,000. Meaning they will likely sell somewhere around 400,000 cars with the full tax credit after all is said and done.

Then there will be room for several hundred thousand at half credit $3750, and several hundred thousand more at quarter credit $1875.

And for anyone that thinks "they won't sell that many model 3" remember that number includes Roadster, S, X, and 3. Roadsters were only part of the number from 2010 to 2012, the others will be from their respective introduction dates until the end of 2018.

Last edited:
This article is interesting in that the examples of people let go aren't really managers, engineering, or administrative types. These are sales and customer service front-line employees. Admittedly, one of the employees let go is a Solar City staffer, but this still seems odd for a company that seems to be straining to provide descent font-line services during a period when it is expanding production/orders/deliveries.

Ex-Tesla employees reveal the cryptic ways they learned they were getting fired

I was not even thinking of the Model 3, since I have no interested in an overpriced electric Civic.

My bet is that it will hurt Model S and X sales, but by how much, no one really knows.
While it is an incentive which helped me take a leap into EV's, today EV's are more mainstream and Tesla is not making 10K cars a year. It will hurt Model 3 reservations more, but Model S had it's pricing adjusted up in the past by as much as $5,500 and still continued to sell.

Do we know if the Service Center staff have been hit by the layoffs? My car died on Tuesday and was towed to the local SC. According to the message left it is still await a technician to run diagnostics on it. I am not sure if 4 days is the norm for this, but is sure seems like a long time.

Do we know if the Service Center staff have been hit by the layoffs? My car died on Tuesday and was towed to the local SC. According to the message left it is still await a technician to run diagnostics on it. I am not sure if 4 days is the norm for this, but is sure seems like a long time.

Your journey may have just started. Hope they don't need parts.

Managing people and systems - W Edward Deming's - performance reviews a waste - if you just fire the person.

"A bad system will beat a good person every time."
A Bad System Will Beat a Good Person Every Time « The W. Edwards Deming Institute Blog
People are Part of the Management System « The W. Edwards Deming Institute Blog
To Achieve Success Focus on Improving the System Not On Individual Performance « The W. Edwards Deming Institute Blog

For those serious about managing people and constant improvement of people and systems W Edward Deming most helpful.

Ben mentions Deming in his video on Tesla 9% layoff. I was pleasantly surprised.

I can only hope Tesla moves beyond performance reviews to fire people.

If you don't know Of W Edward Deming's work or have time to at least scan these articles or watch Ben's video, please son't bother with reactionary comments about performance reviews. thanks

good luck to all

I used to think that was where Tesla was headed. But they post very little inventory online forcing you to call in and talk to a salesperson, who may or may not get back to you. I still do not understand why. Why can't I just see the inventory, and then decide how far I am willing to travel to go see/buy a given car. No, I am not going to pay $2,500 to have the car brought to me. I found my latest new Chevy truck in Wisconsin while living in Montana in 2012. Flew out, bought it and drove it back. Found it on Cars.com. I was at the dealer (who picked me up at the airport) all of about 45 minutes. If Chevy dealers can make it happen why can't Tesla?

There are sites to help you search for inventory. I have a site, but I cannot post it here because of TMC rules, but I now have listed over 600 Tesla inventory in US and Tesla has zero. I know that inventorysearch.com does not show hidden cars, but a lot of other sites do.