Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla lays off service & support staff. Service and tech support issues resolved!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla cutting more jobs at Fremont factory

How does this make any sense at all considering the scaling of sales and issues in service?
SFChronicle:
"In Fremont, the job cuts spanned across departments from human resources to quality assurance to delivery experience. The most common roles cut were sales advisers, service technicians, production associates and manufacturing supervisors."
:eek:

• Helpful
Reactions: Fiddler
How does this make any sense at all considering the scaling of sales and issues in service?

Thanks to the secret conference call, we learn that:

"Service centers won’t be affected, but Musk said he wants appointments to be "same-day, if not same-hour" service where Tesla technicians will visit customers for "most" needs."

Does that mean Service Centers won't be closed down like Stores are.

Now, Tesla just needs to recall those laid off service technicians so Tesla cars can be fixed in the "same-hour".

Title says service and support issues resolved? Does that mean I should expect to be able to schedule service visit in days now instead of weeks, and all the parts will be available in-stock, and I get the P100D Elon always talked about? When exactly will that happen?

Reactions: Scott-P
There seems to be a contradiction between actual service technicians laid off reported to the government agency and what Tesla says:

"We will actually be significantly increasing headcount in service technicians and service is directly reporting to me. At this point but I really have as my top priority this year is making service amazing at Tesla."

Unless the word "will" means Tesla can currently continue laying off service technicians until whoever can define when the word "will" and "actually" take effect.

There seems to be a contradiction between actual service technicians laid off reported to the government agency and what Tesla says:

"We will actually be significantly increasing headcount in service technicians and service is directly reporting to me. At this point but I really have as my top priority this year is making service amazing at Tesla."

Unless the word "will" means Tesla can currently continue laying off service technicians until whoever can define when the word "will" and "actually" take effect.

Not a contradiction if they move around technicians or increase significantly more in one area than they decrease in another. But I get how this could be confusing.

Not a contradiction if they move around technicians or increase significantly more in one area than they decrease in another. But I get how this could be confusing.

Yes. That makes sense in an alternative universe but not in the current report.

This layoff takes effect on 3/20/2019 as filed with EDD and it affects:

1) Fremont, 2) Palo Alto and 3) Lathrop.

Freemont and Palo Alto both have service center each while Lathrop has no service center.

So, the layoff in Lathrop is non-Service Center staff related.

Service Centers in both Freemont and Palo Alto have been very busy and it takes weeks if not more than a month to get an appointment.

It is hard to believe that the layoff of Freemont and Palo Alto service technicians will help with the workload.

Reactions: Cheburashka
I wouldn't conflate removal of technicians at Fremont with lessening service capacity around the country. Without knowing the inner details of positions, I'd assume Tesla knows what they're doing and how they're going to allocate resources properly. They are well aware of the service situation. Elon even said it was one of his top priorities this year to improve upon.

This is part of already announced layoffs of 3000 personnel and only a handful are service technicians.

Last year Tesla hired more people than they laid off.

Tesla is likely moving tech support to a cheaper location while making space at Fremont. We all know how hard it is to find parking there.