Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla loan car insurance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All, my car is going in for a service tomorrow and I'm getting a loan car from Tesla. They have just told me that the loaner will only come with 3rd party insurance (which I am a bit surprised about to be honest). I'm a bit nervous about driving around in an £80k car with only 3rd party insurance, I was wondering how have other owners gone about buying short term insurance? I'm going to call my insurance company when I receive the loaner car details but I imagine it might be quite pricey.

They have just told me that the loaner will only come with 3rd party insurance (which I am a bit surprised about to be honest)

I believe that is normal for Loan Cars from garages ... albeit they probably never draw that to your attention.

I think you current car insurance may well offer you a straightforward "well if you aren't driving/needing insurance for you car, and are driving an equivalent loan vehicle, there isn't any problem insuring you" ... particularly if Tesla will pick up the 3rd party bit.

I think you current car insurance may well offer you a straightforward "well if you aren't driving/needing insurance for you car, and are driving an equivalent loan vehicle, there isn't any problem insuring you" ... particularly if Tesla will pick up the 3rd party bit.

Probably best to tell them though... you're unlikely to get exactly the same model as loaner. Last time this happened to me they stuck me in a 100D (up from my 75D). Not sure the "declared value" of my car would have matched the costs if I'd stacked the 100D. Would have been even worse if it'd been a P-model, I'm sure.

(Quite a nifty upsell tactic from Tesla, that... although in my case it just served to confirm that the only benefit of that upgrade was the extra range and it wasn't worth the difference in price to me. If it happens in the future as a refresh LR, however.....)

I was wondering how have other owners gone about buying short term insurance?

Depends on who you are insured with. LV, for example, automatically extend your policy to include any car that is lent to you whilst yours is being serviced. It's written into the policy so no need to even call them. On the other hand, Direct Line need you to ring and they add the vehicle on, normally for no charge.

The whole subject has been bit of a long running saga with Tesla. Surprise surprise their comms have at times been contradictory or unclear, something they have plenty of previous for. o_O

The last time I had a loaner it was 3rd party but I was only responsible for the first £2k of damage to the loan car - and that was only to be enforced if my driving was a major contributory factor in the crash - IOW an unfortunate prang and I'd be in the clear, a 0-60 race in the loaner P100D resulting in me in a ditch probably not. :rolleyes:

I had the same situation and Aviva quoted me about £45 cover for one week cover of the loan car. £20 of that was a fee.

I had to go through all the stupid questions:

What’s the value of the car?
I don’t know, it’s not mine

What will the annual mileage be?
Erm, I’m only having it for a few days, week at max

The real killer though was the £1000 mandatory excess on the loan vehicle.

I gave up and got a taxi from the service centre back to work...