Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla lying to subtly refuse adding FSD to my MR 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I ordered a MR on the 18th and asked on the 19th to add EAP and FSD. They added EAP finally on Nov 5 but no matter how many people and departments I ask and how many escalated email modification request emails I send in, they won’t add FSD. They’ve told me it’s been added but it hasn’t. They also say they’re “working on it and backlogged” but I have a hard time imagining their escalation dept can’t add a simple software feature in 3 weeks when cars deliver in less time than that. They also said they may not get to my request before delivery (no VIN assigned) but not to worry I can add it myself for $5k after delivery ($2k more than I want and I also don’t believe them). is there any way to reach a department that can actually MAKE the off menu change or are they doing this on purpose?

The process I saw back when said you could still add it from the off menu ‘proxess’ for the one week time frame. Don’t recall when that was exactly (when it ended). And I do also remember seeing that all the off menu adds said that you might not see a change take effect until delivery perhaps.

So it may be just that, backlogged and not showing up. As was said the email chain should allow you to get the original price since this is just adding an option code to the car and providing you with a free CPU upgrade down the road when AP3 comes out. No physical changes to the car.happen at this time.

It's pretty easy to know when it's added because the purchase price is $3K more.

The question is how much do you want to press this?

Is your request date within that 1 week time period of FSD going off menu? To my recollection you only had 1 week or so to add it.

What's the actual cost of not getting this now? It's likely $5K because we've heard that floated as the cost for the AP3 computer upgrade.

Ultimately you're going to either have to take a stand to force the issue, or you're going to have to accept the additional $2K cost. That $2K cost is likely going to incur in under a year.

But, that doesn't include when it will differentiate in any substantial way from AP2. That might be another 6 months or more.

I wouldn't worry about a massive price increase in FSD at least not for the next year. The reason is they seem to have gone a route of slowly introducing features to bring it closer to FSD at a very slow pace.

The biggest concern is making sure your car has the AP3 computer because that's what Model 3's will ship with as soon as the computer is ready.

Having the old computer is not the boat you want to be on if you care about EAP/FSD. We're used to thinking about them as separate things, but I think there is a reasonable amount of concern that EAP is far harder than anticipated.

Tesla is going to have a bit of a mess on their hands if FSD owners have a much better EAP experience than EAP owners have.

Regardless of what happens having the $3K FSD option protects you. But, when it starts to protect you is anyones guess.

I would continue to fight for it, but I don't know if it's something I would refuse delivery if it doesn't have it. If I was in your shoes I'd be debating from a purely binary standpoint. Of accepting the car without it, or telling them flat-out that you won't accept delivery without the FSD being added. This would be assuming I was within the 1 week timeframe of when it was pulled off menu. If it wasn't I'd accept the additional $2K cost later on.

I'm glad they pulled the FSD option because this is exactly the kind of confusion/stress/frustration that it caused.

They caused this because they sold FSD as a destination, and not a journey. The reality is FSD is a ticket on a journey. But, it's a ticket without any promise as to what you'll experience on that journey.

The EAP owners are also on this journey, and we're like "why are you people still with us?"

Last edited:
We ordered our M3P+ 11/2 with EAP and no FSD. On 11/3 we asked the rep we worked with in the Houston showroom to see if FSD could be added. She opened a ticket request. We were then contacted 11/7 by our IDA to schedule delivery on 11/28 or sooner. At that time he said it would take a day or two for the request to be addressed. 11/8 we got a notice that our configuration had changed and FSD had been added and our price went up by $3k, Our order agreement and config all now show FSD.

It can be added, however, it seemed to me that the individual we are worked with was very knowledgeable of the Tesla process... she did not guarantee we could get it and she did specifically say that it had to be approved.

• Informative
Reactions: EinSV and S4WRXTTCS
If it comes to it, I bet you can have it added when you pick up the vehicle. Just bring in the email string as proof you requested it pre-delivery and they can get it added to your purchase agreement at the $3k price. The order process is a mess (bordering disaster) unfortunately.

This! Chill. Unless they refuse to honor it at delivery. Irrelevant to the car as it does not exist. So long as it is on the MVPA you sign at delivery you're fine.